When did JH begin using the notion of performative contradiction?

  • Gary E. Davis
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2007
      I don't recall reference by Habermas to performative contradiction prior to 1981. Did he use this notion earlier than 1981? This pertains, for me, to the development of his expressed sense of immanent critique. If he didn't use the notion before 1981, a consequence very interesting to me results. Thanks in advance for any references.

      Gary

    • Manuel Rivera
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2007
        It would suprise me if he didn't use that notion
        (which after all is almost Austian, so no big
        "invention" of Apel and Habermas) in his "Preliminary
        remarks on a Theory of communicative competence"
        (don't know whether this is the correct English
        translation; I'm German native speaker so I use to
        read the stuff in German), which appeared in his book
        with Luhmann mid-seventies.

        I don't have it at hand right now and will check
        later, but I think that would be the most promising
        source (besides "Logic of Social Sciences)

        Regards from Berlin
        Manuel
        --- "Gary E. Davis" <coherings@...> schrieb:

        > I don't recall reference by Habermas to performative
        > contradiction prior to 1981. Did he use this notion
        > earlier than 1981? This pertains, for me, to the
        > development of his expressed sense of immanent
        > critique. If he didn't use the notion before 1981, a
        > consequence very interesting to me results. Thanks
        > in advance for any references.
        >
        > Gary

        > removed]

        __________________________________ Yahoo! Clever: Stellen Sie Fragen und finden Sie Antworten. Teilen Sie Ihr Wissen. www.yahoo.de/clever
      • Kenneth MacKendrick
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2007
          Habermas took it from Apel, who got it from Jaako Hintikka (from a very
          different context). Apel first used it in "Das Apriori der
          Kommunikationsgemeinschaft und die Grundlagen der Ethik" published in 1976
          translated in Toward a Transformation of Philosophy (English, 1980). as far
          as I can tell. I'm usually in the English and a lot of these kind of details
          gets lost in translation.

          ken

          _____

          --- "Gary E. Davis" <coherings@yahoo. <mailto:coherings%40yahoo.com> com>
          schrieb:

          > I don't recall reference by Habermas to performative
          > contradiction prior to 1981. Did he use this notion
          > earlier than 1981? This pertains, for me, to the
          > development of his expressed sense of immanent
          > critique. If he didn't use the notion before 1981, a
          > consequence very interesting to me results. Thanks
          > in advance for any references.
          >
          > Gary

          > removed]

        • Jeremy Shapiro
          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2007
            Excellent question. And I can't remember one earlier than that, but I'm also not digging around in texts and sources of that period. But one thing I wanted to point out -- I can't remember if this has been discussed on this list -- is that there is a structural similarity between performative contradiction and the critique of positivism in Knowledge and Human Interests (and the discussion of Nietzsche), which turns on the contradiction of articulating a metalevel position that denies that it is possible to have a metalevel position for analyzing and critiquing scientific knowledge. This is in essence a performative contradiction, although articulated before Habermas had incorporated the notion of performativity.

            Jeremy

            At 01:29 PM 5/1/2007 -0700, your brain seems to have output the following: