Re: [Habermas] Habermas on Kojeve?

  • Daniel C. Henrich
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hey Matt,

      I did my dissertation on Habermas and I actually do not know any instances where Habermas discusses Kojeve at all. In "The Philosophical Discourse of Modernity" Habermas mentions Kojeve two times: on the first page of IX.I. and on the second page of XI.IV. (Since I do not have an english version, I can not give you an exact quotation.).

      I hopte that helps....

      Daniel

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
        Hello Daniel,

        thanks very much for that information...I'll keep looking :-).
        Probably like the rest of the List, I'd be very interested in hearing
        what your dissertation covered?

        And to keep being a bit "needy" of assistance...what about Habermas
        on Leo Strauss? I have read quite a detailed discussion by Habermas
        on Strauss but can't remember where. i think it might be in _The New
        Conservatism_ (have to check).

        Now to give something in return. In search of Strauss I looked again
        at Habermas's essays in _The Liberating Power of Symbols_ (trans
        P.Dews, MIT, 2001). It is a very diverse and engaging collection of
        essays.

        The essay on Karl Jaspers is generally brilliant, IMO. But it's also
        the philosophical tidbits that turn up in these essays that are worth
        looking for:

        "Understanding is only possible between parties who expect to be able
        to learn from each other." (p34)

        and this clear statement of JH's conception of the intersubjective
        construction of a social actor's 'identity':

        "I am referring to the concept of socialized subjects, who are
        individuated by their life histories, and are simultaneously
        irreplaceable individuals and members of a community; such subjects
        can only lead a life which is genuinely their own through sharing in
        a common life with others." (p82)

        All the essays are worth browsing, and they often help to illuminate
        some of the more difficult ideas JH presents more densely elsewhere.

        best,

        mattP

        --- In habermas@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel C. Henrich" <mail@...> wrote:

        > Hey Matt,
        >
        > I did my dissertation on Habermas and I actually do not know any
        instances where Habermas discusses Kojeve at all. In "The
        Philosophical Discourse of Modernity" Habermas mentions Kojeve two
        times: on the first page of IX.I. and on the second page of XI.IV.
        (Since I do not have an english version, I can not give you an exact
        quotation.).

        > I hopte that helps....
        >
        > Daniel

      • Daniel C. Henrich
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3, 2007
          Hi Matt,

          thanks for your email. The title of my book is a little bit different to the title of the dissertation itself: "Between Naturalism and Philosophy of Mind. On the metaphysical implications of the discourse ethics by Jürgen Habermas." My advisor was Axel Honneth in Frankfurt. You can read an abstract in english on http://danielhenrich.de/ -> "DissAbstract".