Environmental Educators: October 9-13 Meeting in Anchorage, Alask a

  • Lessard, George
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2000
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Sean Topkok [mailto:fncst@...]
      Sent: Monday, July 03, 2000 3:27 PM
      To: ANKN List
      Subject: October 9-13 Meeting

      Greetings Environmental Educators,

      MARK YOUR CALENDARS!!!

      We are excited to announce that this year's EPA Region 10 - Tribal
      Leaders Summit is going to be held in Anchorage, Alaska from October 9-13.
      This
      event brings together both policy makers and environmental staff from the
      Tribes and EPA. We are even more excited to let you know that there will be
      track (6-8 sessions) dedicated solely to Environmental Education. This
      year, EPA,
      Alaska Intertribal Council, and the Alaska Native Health Board will be
      working
      together to assemble the agenda and coordinate the event.

      We realize that the dates are quickly approaching, so we are gathering
      ideas and suggestions for session topics, speakers/teachers/educators, etc.
      We
      would appreciate your input into the agenda. If you have ideas and/or
      contacts for possible sessions, please pass them along. Please feel free to
      pass
      this request along to others.

      The following is a collection of ideas that we have brainstormed so
      far. If you know of someone that could present on any of these topics,
      please
      indicate it in your response. There has also been discussion of having a
      youth/elders
      forum that coincides with the conference....we would need a lot of
      coordination to pull this off.

      Suggested TOPICS:

      -EE 101: What is good environmental education?

      -Qualities of a good educator: How to an effective teacher

      -Educating Adults in your community

      -Building culture and traditions into an EE program

      -Educating Nonresidents about local environmental codes, traditions,
      etc. (tourists, visitors, etc.)

      -Resources: What's available, where do you get them, and how do you use
      them?

      -Tying your youth (K-12) EE program to the State's standards for
      education: Why it's important, How can you do it?

      Spees.Nathan@...

      <><><><>< Via / From / Thanks to: ><><><><><><><>
      The ANKN Listserv is a moderated list. Feel free to pass this
      information to other interested agencies. Email contributions for the
      ANKN Listserv to <Sean.Topkok@...> or <Paula.Elmes@uaf..edu>.
      If you know of anyone who may be interested in subscribing to the ANKN
      Listserv, or you wish to unsubscribe, you can send an email message to
      Sean or Paula.