Talurjuaq dealing with drowning deaths

  • Lessard, George
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2003
      Talurjuaq dealing with drowning deaths

      The community of Talurjuaq is a sombre mood after two of its young residents
      drowned on Saturday. Cpl. Warren Gauthier (sp) is with the RCMP detachment
      in Talurjuaq. He says four children were playing on the ice near the
      outskirts of town.

      "It's very unfortunate and like I said the community is very upset over it,
      as is everybody. Again we want to reiterate [say again] too that the ice is
      not safe and that they should speak with your children and let them know to
      stay away from the ice."

      Gauthier says the children broke through the ice. Three of them were under
      the water for about 20 minutes. Residents jumped in to rescue them. Cpl.
      Gauthier says one of the children was successfully revived at the scene. He
      says after two hours of CPR, the other two could not be revived. Gauthier
      says the survivor was medivaced to Yellowknife with a chest infection. He's
      expected to make a full recovery. The names of the children have not been
      released.

      [Via / From / Thanks to and/or excerpted from the following: ]

      MEDIA MONITOR

      Tuesday - September 30, 2003 - 17:30
      CBC Iqaluit Regional News Summary