Re: [h_t_rex] Jack Brooks Run Sunday 3/24? [1 Attachment]

  • Isabella Neuenhaus
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 19, 2013
      :( I won't manage, I'll b out of town

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Mar 19, 2013, at 9:48 PM, mgdino@... wrote:

      Who: You, if you want an “excursion” trail run.  If there isn’t enough interest… we can try another weekend.  So if you are interested, let we (me) know so we know who to expect.

      What: Trail run @ Jack Brooks Park

      Where: Jack Brooks Park, Hitchcock, TX.  Directions (see attached PDF map for directions from I-45S, or saved in the "files" on the yahoo group):

      1.  Take I-45 South to Exit 15.  Take a right at the light onto FM 1764.

      2.  Almost immediately after turning onto 1764, take a left at the first light.

      3.  When this road dead ends (not long), take a right—this is FM 2004 (alternatively, you can take a right on to 2004 from the I-45 feeder road, but I’m worried most newbies would probably miss the turn).  After the right on to FM 2004, you will be driving past the dog track, which will be on your right.

      4. Proceed for 2 miles or so thru some commercial/residential area until the entrance to Jack Brooks Park, which will be on your right (there are white picket fences opposite, across the street on your left as another landmark– the entrance on your right is easy to miss).  If you pass Highway 6, you’ve gone too far, turn around.

      5.  After entering the park, take the left when this road dead ends.  The left will lead you to a parking lot near the trail head.

      When:  Sunday Mar 24, 2013 (THIS Sunday).  We will start running at 0745.

      Why: Because you’ve run thru the 1000's of dead trees in the HCM and are ready for something different.  If there is enough interest from this outing, perhaps another one later in April/May? Seriously, it is a fun trail, and one I think the runners here would be pleasantly surprised with.

      Other info: There’s no water source there, so you’ll need to bring whatever fluids you want.  There are about 10k or so worth of trails, with chances to duck out if you think you’re done.   Some of the trail is aggressive (think of the triangle, but a bit more nasty and relentless) and then there are sections that are flat and easy.  There will be mountain bikers and spider webs, but on the other hand, the trail is much better shape than the HCM.  I’d be up for ~2hours or so of jogging, probably not too much more, and I'm not going to be moving very fast.  A no-drop run so no one gets left behind (including yours truly).  If it rains too much... we will probably have to cancel, unless you want to really practice your cake-on-your-shoes-mud running skills.

      Cheers.

    • Arlene Schneider

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 20, 2013
                I'm in too.
                How about setting up a carpool from Memorial Park? Kevin you interested?
                Anyone else?

                --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Outman <kevin@...> wrote:

                > Count me in.
                >
                > Kevin O.
              • Kevin Outman
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 20, 2013
                  Sure.

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Mar 20, 2013, at 7:55 PM, "mariela_botella" <mvbotella@...> wrote:

                  I'm in too.
                  How about setting up a carpool from Memorial Park? Kevin you interested?
                  Anyone else?

                  --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Outman <kevin@...> wrote:

                  > Count me in.
                  >
                  > Kevin O.

                • Chris Bailey
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 21, 2013
                    hey maryann----can i get directions to that park from you again? thanks. chris

                    Damn... would love to join you to check out a different park... however, the Luke's I work at in Katy is stop #26 on the Texas Independence Relay.  We will be open all night Saturday night, and of course, I volunteered to work.  I figure they need an ultramarathoner or two on staff to help look after the weary runners.

                    Maybe some Sunday morning you all can head west to Stephen F Austin State park in San Felipe.  There is a decent 10k of trails, some of which go along the Brazos river.

                    Maryann

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 21, 2013

                      Stephen F Austin State Park.  Take I-10 West to San Felipe exit.  Turn right at exit, and there are signs to the park entrance.  here is a google map

                      http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&gl=us&daddr=San+Felipe,+TX+77474&panel=1&f=d&fb=1&dirflg=d&geocode=0,29.818444,-96.112944&cid=0,0,12706132091499245&hq=stephen+f+austin+state+park&hnear=0x8640b8b4488d8501:0xca0d02def365053b,Houston,+TX

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 22, 2013
                        Thanks maryann.....somewhat closer to me. got to check it out soon.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 23, 2013
                          I'm interested; what time are you meeting at MP, and what time do you expect to get back?

                          --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, "mariela_botella" <mvbotella@...> wrote:

                          > I'm in too.
                          > How about setting up a carpool from Memorial Park? Kevin you interested?
                          > Anyone else?
                          >
                          > --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Outman <kevin@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Count me in.
                          > >
                          > > Kevin O.

                        • Kevin Outman
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 23, 2013
                            Richard,
                            Michael said we might do about 2 hrs of running, starting @ 7:45, so I think we should leave by 6:45 and hopefully be back at MP between 10:30 - 11.

                            Kevin O.

                            On Mar 23, 2013, at 10:29 AM, "Richard" <rlynntx@...> wrote:

                            I'm interested; what time are you meeting at MP, and what time do you expect to get back?

                            --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, "mariela_botella" <mvbotella@...> wrote:

                            > I'm in too.
                            > How about setting up a carpool from Memorial Park? Kevin you interested?
                            > Anyone else?
                            >
                            > --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Outman <kevin@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Count me in.
                            > >
                            > > Kevin O.

                          • Richard
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 23, 2013
                              Kevin,
                              Thanks for the info. I may or may not make it, so don't wait.

                              Richard

                            • carolynleap@ymail.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 23, 2013
                                I'm planning to go too (will be either prompt or absent, in which case don't wait on me either!) and will meet everyone at the tennis center.
                                Carolyn L.