Re: RIP Fluffy Bunny

  • Michelle Wolpert
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 1 6:01 AM
      In case you haven't found it, there's a new Bridle Trail in the NE corner of the park, west of the train tracks. Shady and nice; wide, not single track; maybe 1-2 miles, shaped like a lollipop, sort-of. Run along Memorial towards 610 and you'll see the signs for the trail on your right. Just an option to replace the traditional sections of the Ho that HTREX is used to running.

      Michelle A. Wolpert
      713-862-6564 (h)
      281-507-4034 (c)
    • Arlene Schneider
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 1 6:03 AM
        Is that triangle or does it intersect triangle/Blair witch?
        Thanks!
        Arlene
        Sent from my iPhone
        Please excuse iTypos
        πŸƒβ˜€πŸ±

        On Aug 1, 2012, at 8:01 AM, Michelle Wolpert <mwolpert2002@...> wrote:

        In case you haven't found it, there's a new Bridle Trail in the NE corner of the park, west of the train tracks. Shady and nice; wide, not single track; maybe 1-2 miles, shaped like a lollipop, sort-of. Run along Memorial towards 610 and you'll see the signs for the trail on your right. Just an option to replace the traditional sections of the Ho that HTREX is used to running.
        Michelle A. Wolpert
        713-862-6564 (h)
        281-507-4034 (c)

      • Richard
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 1 10:24 AM
          And the loss of places, cover, food etc for all the animals; and where
          will the coyotes go if/when they take out roller coaster. I wonder how
          truly aware the Houston Parks Management people are of the extent of the
          destruction actually being done in the park at the grass roots (sorry
          muddy pile) level... I'm not at all convinced they're only cutting down
          dead trees...

          --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, "mariela_botella" <mvbotella@...> wrote:

          > 2/3 of Fluffy Bunny Trail is now part of Demolition Blv.
          > I'm sure Roller Coaster is not far behind...it' still there, so enjoy
          it while you can.

          > After the destruction we'll see if we can work with the Park to
          re-establish the trails.

          > It was a very sad run when we came across that.

        • Arlene Schneider
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 1 10:29 AM
            Good thoughts and well said, Sir Richard.

            Arlene
            Sent from my iPhone
            Please excuse iTypos
            πŸƒβ˜€πŸ±

            On Aug 1, 2012, at 12:24 PM, Richard <rlynntx@...> wrote:

            And the loss of places, cover, food etc for all the animals; and where
            will the coyotes go if/when they take out roller coaster. I wonder how
            truly aware the Houston Parks Management people are of the extent of the
            destruction actually being done in the park at the grass roots (sorry
            muddy pile) level... I'm not at all convinced they're only cutting down
            dead trees...

            --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, "mariela_botella" <mvbotella@...> wrote:

            > 2/3 of Fluffy Bunny Trail is now part of Demolition Blv.
            > I'm sure Roller Coaster is not far behind...it' still there, so enjoy
            it while you can.

            > After the destruction we'll see if we can work with the Park to
            re-establish the trails.

            > It was a very sad run when we came across that.

          • Tim Neckar
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 1 10:43 AM
              My thoughts exactly.  Well put.

              Tim
              "Saving the World, One Runner at a Time"
              713.724.2611
              713.721.0550

              On Aug 1, 2012, at 1:29 PM, Arlene Schneider <arleneschn@...> wrote:

              Good thoughts and well said, Sir Richard.

              Arlene
              Sent from my iPhone
              Please excuse iTypos
              πŸƒβ˜€πŸ±

              On Aug 1, 2012, at 12:24 PM, Richard <rlynntx@...> wrote:

              And the loss of places, cover, food etc for all the animals; and where
              will the coyotes go if/when they take out roller coaster. I wonder how
              truly aware the Houston Parks Management people are of the extent of the
              destruction actually being done in the park at the grass roots (sorry
              muddy pile) level... I'm not at all convinced they're only cutting down
              dead trees...

              --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, "mariela_botella" <mvbotella@...> wrote:

              > 2/3 of Fluffy Bunny Trail is now part of Demolition Blv.
              > I'm sure Roller Coaster is not far behind...it' still there, so enjoy
              it while you can.

              > After the destruction we'll see if we can work with the Park to
              re-establish the trails.

              > It was a very sad run when we came across that.

            • lotsmoreshoes now
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 1 12:16 PM

                Either dig down or build up or both to create a loooong slope with steps or switchbacks so we can have a decent place for hill work...I'm dreaming of a Mayan temple like. Ok. I know THAT won't take place, but something in that direction would be nice. Maybe a trail up/down along the bayou...?

              • Richard
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 1 3:44 PM
                  Only one day later Fluffy Bunny has completely gone. Demolition Blvd has now been extended all the way to purple / alligator alley junction. It is a minimum of 20 feet wide and in places a whole lot more. Why do I smell a fish; I don't think it's because the bayou is high, but more when being in the woods you see huge swathes of openness with trees of all sizes and undergrowth removed, but from the outside of the park along Memorial Drive it all looks serene and normal. I fear that our only memory of the Ho will on be Mary's DVD...

                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 1 3:55 PM
                    Richard and I almost never agree...  ;-).  But, sadly, I think he's absolutely right.  Our world (Fluffy Bunny, Renegade, etc) is out of sight to the rest of the world.  They can clear cut all of it, and no one will hear a peep.  It's cheaper to clear cut.  Who's going to complain?  No one worth listening to.  MPC?  Yeah, right...

                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 1 5:27 PM
                      Please make it stop!

                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 1 5:55 PM
                        Two photos added on Yahoo groups of Demolition Boulevard smashing Fluffy Bunny; more on FB

                        --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, "mariela_botella" <mvbotella@...> wrote:

                        > 2/3 of Fluffy Bunny Trail is now part of Demolition Blv.
                        > I'm sure Roller Coaster is not far behind...it' still there, so enjoy it while you can.
                        >
                        > After the destruction we'll see if we can work with the Park to re-establish the trails.
                        >
                        > It was a very sad run when we came across that.

                      • h_t_rex
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 1 6:16 PM
                          I'm trying!
                          Sent MyPhoung a note...lol
                          At least it has slowed down a bit...

                          --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, Miles Klaff <hmklaff@...> wrote:

                          > Please make it stop!

                        • Steve Mertz
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 1 6:56 PM
                            Ran out there tonight... And first time I had seen what they did to the inside trails... Yellow, Blue, Orange, Red all have been seriously effected besides those ones on the outer edges. Β It's a very sad thing what they have done.Β

                            Not all of the trees were dead, some of them were still very healthy and strong. Β But they went in and clear cutted them and caused massive devastation. Β

                            Very sad run tonight out there. )=

                            On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 8:16 PM, h_t_rex <h_t_rex@...> wrote:

                            I'm trying!
                            Sent MyPhoung a note...lol
                            At least it has slowed down a bit...

                            --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, Miles Klaff <hmklaff@...> wrote:

                            > Please make it stop!

                          • Michelle Wolpert
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 2 6:36 AM
                              Yup, it is in that NE corner...dunno about intersecting Blair Witch, but probably comes close if it doesn't intersect. Since BW isn't an official trail, it isn't on the trail map that they have at the trail head.

                              Michelle A. Wolpert
                              713-862-6564 (h)
                              281-507-4034 (c)
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 2 7:10 AM
                                The Traingle (aka Blair Witch) is an official trail and it is depicted as such on all the local trail maps.
                                We'll have to check out the lollipop...

                                --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Wolpert <mwolpert2002@...> wrote:

                                > Yup, it is in that NE corner...dunno about intersecting Blair Witch, but probably comes close if it doesn't intersect. Since BW isn't an official trail, it isn't on the trail map that they have at the trail head.
                                >

                                > Michelle A. Wolpert
                                > 713-862-6564 (h)
                                > 281-507-4034 (c)

                              • Jamie Hendrixson
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 2 7:40 AM
                                  The lollipop (sandy road) is also known as the Bridle Trail. It is open to all users as shown on the newer maps. Please, please be careful when using the Bridle Trail as it is heavily used by the equestrian group. Remember that ALL users yield to horses. When you see a horse stop, speak to the rider to let them know you are present as they may not see you, don't stand behind trees a horses can be spooked. Pass when the rider gives you an okay or stay put until they pass you. There is signage with this information at the trailheads for the Triangle.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 2 10:16 AM
                                    aaahhh, yes. Now I know the Lollipop.
                                    We don't usually run it since it is frequented by horses and usually very rutted because of the horses.
                                    Never knew it is actually an 'official' trail though. Good to know.