Memorial Park forestry work

  • Kevin Outman
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2012
      For those of you who are interested in the forestry work going on at Memorial Park, I thought I would forward an email below that I rec'd from a neighbor.

      Kevin O.

      Since I know there are some who are interested in the plan and recent progress relating to tree and brush clearing in Memorial Park, I am pasting in below some recent email updates on the project from the project manager, Tony May. In general, a forestry plan for the park was commissioned by and delivered to the Memorial Park Conservancy. Then we had the drought last year that dramatically changed the urgency.

      The emphasis now is on first clearing underbrush, which is mostly invasive species, and as a second step cutting down dead trees, some of which can be sold as lumber or pulp to recover a portion of the cost of clearing. These operations are being conducted in areas that are relatively accessible and where there are the largest numbers of dead trees first. If the dead timber remains drying in the forest too long, its sale value declines. As is obvious, the visual impact on the forest is huge, especially because so many of the trees are dead.

      Here are the posts, with the most recent first:

      6/21/12
      "Hello All,

      Yesterday finally brought the dreaded rain we have been hoping to avoiding. We received one inch or a little more. The forestry operations where not completely suspended, as in, they will be doing some mop up, chipping, and maybe some sorting. There will not be any trucks loading until Monday. There will not be any tree felling until Monday. This should allow the ground to dry enough, so that they limit the rutting.

      With this short delay, we anticipate moving to the next section beyond next week. As we get closer I will inform you of the move.

      The operations are going very smooth. There has been mention about flaggers and we will have two flaggers accompany the feller buncher (cutter), starting Monday, as to prevent the few folks that refuse to abide by the trail closures away from the machines. We will add that additional layer of protection for the people and the operation.

      That should just about cover everything.

      Until next time and Thanks,

      Tony

      6/15/12
      We have been in full swing of the dead tree removal portion of the forestry plan since Tuesday morning and things are looking good to great. Brockner's crew is still managing to salvage the butt log from most every tree, including the once thought lost red oaks. Those, and the merchantable invasive species, have been loaded up onto the trucks and shipped out to a paper mill. The salvage pines have been making their way to a saw mill.

      The progress we have seen puts us in a time table of near completion by today, Friday, June 15, 2012 for the first segment. We will start pushing a road and landing for the far south segment today in hopes of beginning the cutting on Monday, June 18, 2012. There may be some overlap of trail closures of a day or two just because the transition from landing to landing isn't always seamless. We will keep this to a minimum and the overlap will also be reduced with the use of flagman.

      By beginning the work on the west ridge, we have been able to establish what methods will be most appropriate to keep the operation moving and cost effective. There is a belief that because the timber on the west ridge stayed greener, longer, the further we get into this project, the less salvageable timber we will find. The west ridge has allowed AEL, Brock's, and the Conservancy to determine cost saving measures that will be used when the work takes place in areas without substantial timber to offset the cost.

      Once complete in the West Ridge, up to and including the area near Memorial Drive, a transition to more highly visible areas in the Logan Woods and Artillery Woods (outer loop) is anticipated.

      As of now, the patients and corporation of the community, volunteers and those employed by Memorial Park have been outstanding. At this point in the game, the job scope and cost projections are becoming more and more narrowed. So let's all just hang in there for a month or two more, and this will soon all be over, and we can get to `growing' some trees.

      6/11/12
      Good Morning All,

      Monday of this week, we initiated the second portion of the forestry program here in Memorial Park. It consists of the dead tree removal and will be followed by the site preparation for the planting of new trees. Mr. Brockner and his crew are the same folks who did a great job with Lake Houston Park and now have the daunting task of revitalizing our park. While on the forest floor yesterday, there was a notice of the slight differences in the parks. One of those differences is the density of the understory being much thicker here at Memorial Park. They began by test cutting a few trees to judge the wood quality, getting the equipment into place, and developing ingress and egress routes for the tractor-trailers. We hope to begin hauling wood from the park today, Tuesday.

      The location they are to begin the removal process is in the West Ridge West, or an area separated out of the larger, south of the rugby filed. Having divided the larger area into four segments, we will rotate counterclockwise wise thru the west ridge, moving to the south, then east and finishing with the north segment, which is directly behind the rugby field and is also the location of the new running trails center. The natural progression of the dead tree removal will be followed by site preparation, whereas, the site will be ready for herbicide in the fall after some new growth has occurred.

      I hope that covers most all the interests in our process for you guys and gals. If there is anything I haven covered thoroughly or at all, please feel free to ask about it. Until next time, everyone work safe.

      5/31/12
      We are really making progress now with near one hundred degree (100o) weather and no rain for a couple of weeks. We slowed to almost a crawl towards the end of last week, but now the crews are making real steps on mopping up places they have been and tackling a few we have not been. The big change of order will occur Monday of next week. If we dodge the rain forecasted for today and tomorrow, we will attack the Lieberman Trail with both crews and all machines in order to knock it out as quickly as possible.

      First is the progress at hand. An approximation of work completed when talking about the shaded fuel break establishment is as follows; the Reynolds's Woods, Polo Club and outside fence of Arboretum complete, ninety-five percent (95%) of the West Ridge along the right-of-way easement, ninety percent (90%) of the Logan Woods, eighty percent (80%) of the Hogg Woods, and fifty percent (50%) of the Infantry & Artillery Woods. While there are some places where rutting became a little excessive, we have deem the areas satisfactory, and the rutting will have to be addresses on an individual basis during the dead tree removal phase of the operation.

      Next on the plate is the movement of the shaded fuel break development into the heavily used area of the Lieberman Trail. The plan is to move both crews into the area and for them to work together where as to maximize time and minimize trail closure. Parties involved have agreed to dividing the trail into three somewhat equal segments which will be 1) South Lieberman (along Memorial Dr), 2) East Lieberman (along Memorial Loop and the golf course maintenance road), and 3) West Lieberman (along Memorial Loop west). The idea is to shut down each segment, in the order listed, for the two crews to work toward each other. The goal is to completed each segment in one days time, and clean up behind the work of DRC and stump grinding, while widening the break where needed to meet the criteria of shaded fuel breaks. It is understood that some areas near the golf course will not be mulched to prevent an open view of the course and additionally there is a provision that the work may last up to five days.

      I little side note, as I am typing this and watching the weather bug, it has began to rain. We can all make note that even thought this rain event may slow us down, the plan should remain the same. It just may happen on a different day.

      Wish it wasn't raining,"
    • Arlene Schneider
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2012
        Thanks Kevin. Good information.

        Arlene
        Sent from my iPhone
        Please excuse iTypos
        🏃☀🐱

[...]

      • Craig Vars
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2012
          Thank you Kevin! Very informative.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6, 2012
            When: Saturday July 7th

            Early Start: 6:30AM at the Interpretative Center
            Late Start: 8:30AM at the Interpretative Center

            Aid Drop: Start/finish at the Interpretative Center. You supply your own Aid Drop.You must carry enough water with you for at least 10 miles.

            Distance: 10 mile loops. Run as many as you like.

            Directions: http://mapq.st/KFtjxB <http://mapq.st/KFtjxB>

            Carpool: Please meet at 5:00AM at Memorial Park Tennis Center for a
            prompt 5:15AM departure.