Re: Hogs Hunt 2012

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 12, 2012
      Source was weather underground wunderground.com, and they're still forecasting 90'F; I'm thinking it depends how much that wind gets up and blows all the moisture in off the gulf! Historically I've found their forecasts to be better than NWS, although I tend to think it's all a bit of a crap shoot at the details/timing. Now if you want me to make something up, I'm sure we could do that and make the runners very, very happy, until they actually started to run :)

      --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, Timothy Lofton <cumulus84@...> wrote:

      > Not sure what the source is for the forecast, but I think it's a bit pessimistic with regards to temperature. NWS detailed point forecast for the Huntsville area is as follows and has held fairly constant for the past several days. I'm not ready for 90 with a high heat index just yet. With the exception of the higher overnight dewpoints, which are normal, daytime dewpoints actually stay at a pretty reasonable level. Of course, humidity is always a bit higher in the woods. I will welcome the shower for sure.

> [...]
    • Timothy Lofton
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 12, 2012
        If 90 degrees verifies, the beers are on me.  Details/timing, i.e., mesoscale/nowcasting is one thing, but two days out a high temperature forecast should be within the resolution of most modeling systems.  Love wunderground.com and the ability to link up personal weather stations.  Unfortunately, many people do not know how to properly site a temperature probe and anemometer, so readings can be quite variable from just that source.  BTW, I see wunderground has 82 for Huntsville/90 for Houston, so maybe we interpolate.  I'm just going to pretend it's 55 and drizzly.

        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 12, 2012
          It's that low coming out of Mexico, that'll zip across the gulf and draw that cool air down from the north-east in it's wake - you've got your 55 ;)

        • Larry Teeter
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 13, 2012
            You guys are making me nervous!

            See you tomorrow.

            Larry Teeter
            Houston, TX

            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 13, 2012
              Nevermind.  I just realized that I've logged over 800 miles in races in Huntsville SP in pretty much all possible conditions.
              I think I can handle another 31!

              Larry Teeter
              Houston, TX

              It's that low coming out of Mexico, that'll zip across the gulf and draw that cool air down from the north-east in it's wake - you've got your 55 ;)

              --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, Timothy Lofton <cumulus84@...> wrote:

              > If 90 degrees verifies, the beers are on me. Details/timing, i.e., mesoscale/nowcasting is one thing, but two days out a high temperature forecast should be within the resolution of most modeling systems. Love wunderground.com and the ability to link up personal weather stations. Unfortunately, many people do not know how to properly site a temperature probe and anemometer, so readings can be quite variable from just that source. BTW, I see wunderground has 82 for Huntsville/90 for Houston, so maybe we interpolate. I'm just going to pretend it's 55 and drizzly.

            • Stefanie Bernosky

                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 13, 2012
                  I'm afraid the latest forecast looks even less promising:

                  Friday Night
                  Partly cloudy in the evening, then mostly cloudy. Low of 92F. Winds from the SSE at 30 to 50 mph. Breezy.
                  Saturday
                  Mostly cloudy in the morning, then partly cloudy with thunderstorms and rain showers. High of 105F with a heat index of 212F. Winds from the SSE at 25 to 35 mph with gusts to 70 mph. Breezy. Chance of rain 120%

                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 13, 2012
                    Perfect!

                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 13, 2012
                      I was hoping for a cat IV hurricane.  Guess I'll run with disappointment.

                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 13, 2012
                        > I was hoping for a cat IV hurricane.

                        Don't hope too hard...you may see one of those sooner than you think.
                        Once hurricane season gets here you'll be in weather nerd heaven!
                        =)
                      • Karen Felicidario
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 13, 2012
                          THINK SNOW!!!!!!!

                          Karen

                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 13, 2012
                            in the meantime you can chase tornados after the run tomorrow... http://www.tornadovideos.net/pages/full_screen/

                            --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, "mariela_botella" <mvbotella@...> wrote:

                            > > I was hoping for a cat IV hurricane.
                            >
                            > Don't hope too hard...you may see one of those sooner than you think.
                            > Once hurricane season gets here you'll be in weather nerd heaven!
                            > =)

                          • Timothy Lofton
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 13, 2012
                              Hopefully I'll finish with enough time to backtrack and visit/help at the aid station.  Will the aid station be car accessible during the race?

                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 13, 2012
                                Just wanted to chime in here... I usually help out at the aid station when I finish 25k, but just found out I will have my granddaughter at the house this weekend... so will head home as soon as I am finished. I'll miss hanging out with y'all.
                                Maryann

                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 13, 2012
                                  How old is your grand daughter Maryann? I signed up for the 50 k not really realizing I'd have a newborn here, but I became a grandma Feb 26. (I know, you guys, I don't look that old, right, you better be thinking that, haha) My dear daughter surprised us with a grandson, and I do mean surprise, because she didn't tell us she was pregnant, ran races with me, even showed up for big Rocky..(I thought she kinda looked like she maybe sorta was but no amount of prodding brought forth any warning and she really didn't get that big) Anyway, her baby lives with us and she's still in school. So Saturday's going to be an ultra of another sort for grandpa and my 14 yr old son. hahaha I am going to try not to lmao driving up in the morning. Hope I can stay awake..and try not to think about what I'll find when I get home. My husband's a great guy but omg, the poor baby's gonna be screaming a lot..ahhh, quit thinking about it or I'll end up not going..I HAVE to go run..

                                  Lynnor

                                  Date: Friday, April 13, 2012, 12:39 PM

                                  -----Original Message----- From: Richard <rlynntx@...> To: h_t_rex <h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Fri, Apr 13, 2012 12:19 pm Subject: [h_t_rex] Re: Hogs Hunt 2012

                                  in the meantime you can chase tornados after the run tomorrow... http://www.tornadovideos.net/pages/full_screen/ --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, "mariela_botella" <mvbotella@...> wrote: > > > I was hoping for a cat IV hurricane. > > Don't hope too hard...you may see one of those sooner than you think. > Once hurricane season gets here you'll be in weather nerd heaven! > =) >
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 13, 2012
                                    oh, holy moly, Lynnor!  My granddaughter is 14!  Yes, I am THAT OLD!!! LOL  my daughter is pregnant with her first right now, due late in August, so there will be another infant around, but not full time!
                                    Hugs to your husband and son... they can handle one day with you out of the house!!! See you tomorrow!
                                    Maryann

                                    From: Timothy Lofton <cumulus84@...>
                                    To: h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com
                                    Date: Friday, April 13, 2012, 12:39 PM

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Apr 13, 2012
                                      Yes. The aid station is at the Trailhead Parking next to campsite 142.

                                      You can see a facilities map here:
                                      http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/park_maps/pwd_mp_p4505_044g.pdf

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Apr 13, 2012
                                        Wow...that is a surprise!
                                        Congratulations to the whole family!!

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Apr 15, 2012
                                          A great big thankyou to T rex volunteers at Hog's Hunt yesterday. You guys kept my archaic, heat stroked carcass going just enough to make cut off with about 50 seconds to spare.

                                          Was also relieved to come home to see my grandson survived his day with gramps and 14 yr old uncle. (future t rex volunteers)

                                          It was great seeing everybody!!!

                                          Lynnor Matheney

                                          From: Timothy Lofton <cumulus84@...>
                                          To: h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com