Saturday, April 2nd HoChiMinh Trail Run & Walk

  • Mariela Botella
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 29, 2011

    Please note that due to ‘4 for the Park’ run at Memorial Park: http://memorialparkconservancy.org/default.aspx?act=frontpage.aspx&name=FunRun&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1
    we will be starting at the Living Bridge parking lot. See attachment for directions.

    HCM Trail Run

    Run start at 7AM from the Living Bridge parking lot.
    The run will be lead by Mariela mvbotella@...

    Please bring a water bottle and replenish electrolytes.

    HCM Trail Walk

    CANCELLED

    Good luck everyone running at the Hells Hills Trail Runs on Saturday!
    http://www.tejastrails.com/HellsHills.html

  • yepyep
    Message 2 of 14 , Mar 30, 2011
      Hey guys! I just joined the group and was wondering how man miles you do on Saturdays and the pace? I have only been running about a year and half (and all of that has been on roads) and I don't want to slow you guys down. Thanks and look forward to meeting you all!

      Message 3 of 14 , Mar 30, 2011
        We usually run 1 hour and then head back to the cars to re-fuel...then those who want can go out for more fun.

        Pace varies with who is leading.
        Usually a trail pace tends to be about 1-1:30 minutes slower than your road pace. We'll most likely be running an 11 min/mile pace with some walk breaks.
        We also have a rule that no one is left behind. We wait at the mayor intersections and make sure everyone is present before heading off into the next section of trail.
        Come on out, you won't know unless you try!

        --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, "yepyep" <jasonchope@...> wrote:

        > Hey guys! I just joined the group and was wondering how man miles you do on Saturdays and the pace? I have only been running about a year and half (and all of that has been on roads) and I don't want to slow you guys down. Thanks and look forward to meeting you all!

      • Jaime V. Garcia
        Message 4 of 14 , Mar 30, 2011
          I have a question about all the minimus shoes that are hitting the big time right now. I have nothing against them, I was wondering if any of yous guys know anyone that are running 50's or more distances in them and what are they doing about the size difference when swelling begins to set in? Meaning when we run our looooong distances our feet tend to swell. I'm just curious as what those that are wearing the Five Finger type shoes are doing about that?

          Jaime V. Garcia MS, LAT
          Athletic Trainer
          Sam Rayburn High School
          Pasadena, TX
          (713) 740 - 0330 ext: 02226
          GO TEXANS!!!!!

          We usually run 1 hour and then head back to the cars to re-fuel...then those who want can go out for more fun.

          Pace varies with who is leading.
          Usually a trail pace tends to be about 1-1:30 minutes slower than your road pace. We'll most likely be running an 11 min/mile pace with some walk breaks.
          We also have a rule that no one is left behind. We wait at the mayor intersections and make sure everyone is present before heading off into the next section of trail.
          Come on out, you won't know unless you try!

          --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, "yepyep" <jasonchope@...> wrote:

          > Hey guys! I just joined the group and was wondering how man miles you do on Saturdays and the pace? I have only been running about a year and half (and all of that has been on roads) and I don't want to slow you guys down. Thanks and look forward to meeting you all!

        • Nathan Jackson
          Message 5 of 14 , Mar 30, 2011
            Jaime,

             I have a pair of Five Fingers that I play around with but I kick too many roots to brave a long training run or race with those things or anything else too minimal. Also, I think people get too caught up into the latest craze and will believe whatever they're told will improve their technique, speed etc. Take a look a this article - http://www.irunfar.com/2011/03/the-religion-of-running-technique.html. Don't get me wrong, I'm in to the minimal movement. I just don't think it's wise to go au natural (barefoot) like I saw some dude at Rocky Racoon,...in a kilt.

            Nathan Jackson

            We usually run 1 hour and then head back to the cars to re-fuel...then those who want can go out for more fun.

            Pace varies with who is leading.
            Usually a trail pace tends to be about 1-1:30 minutes slower than your road pace. We'll most likely be running an 11 min/mile pace with some walk breaks.
            We also have a rule that no one is left behind. We wait at the mayor intersections and make sure everyone is present before heading off into the next section of trail.
            Come on out, you won't know unless you try!

            --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, "yepyep" <jasonchope@...> wrote:

            > Hey guys! I just
            joined the group and was wondering how man miles you do on Saturdays and the pace? I have only been running about a year and half (and all of that has been on roads) and I don't want to slow you guys down. Thanks and look forward to meeting you all!

          • Tim Neckar
            Message 6 of 14 , Mar 30, 2011
              Save your feet!!! Go with Hokas!!!
              www.hokaoneone.com

              Tim
              www.runnerone.com
              "Saving the World, One Runner at a Time"
              713.724.2611
              713.721.0550

                Message 8 of 14 , Mar 31, 2011
                  I agree about running an ultra in something like those either.

                  Jaime V. Garcia MS, LAT
                  Athletic Trainer
                  Sam Rayburn High School
                  Pasadena, TX
                  (713) 740 - 0330 ext: 02226
                  GO TEXANS!!!!!

                  We usually run 1 hour and then head back to the cars to re-fuel...then those who want can go out for more fun.

                  Pace varies with who is leading.
                  Usually a trail pace tends to be about 1-1:30 minutes slower than your road pace. We'll most likely be running an 11 min/mile pace with some walk breaks.
                  We also have a rule that no one is left behind. We wait at the mayor intersections and make sure everyone is present before heading off into the next section of trail.
                  Come on out, you won't know unless you try!

                  --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, "yepyep" <jasonchope@...> wrote:

                  > Hey guys! I just joined the group and was wondering how man miles you do on Saturdays and the pace? I have only been running about a year and half (and all of that has been on roads) and I don't want to slow you guys down. Thanks and look forward to meeting you all!

                • brucep86
                  Message 9 of 14 , Apr 1, 2011
                    Hello All, Joined the group on-line and have been lurking around the forum for a few months now. I plan on coming out tomorrow morning to do a short run with y'all and get to meet a few of you.

                    Bruce

                    Message 10 of 14 , Apr 1, 2011
                      Great! See you there!
                      Message 11 of 14 , Apr 3, 2011
                        I saw the guy in the kilt too! And I also saw him later (or another guy in a kilt) walking with his feet all bandaged up...

                        Jules
                        Sent from my iPhone with the grudging and intermittent cooperation of AT&T

                        On Mar 30, 2011, at 12:51 PM, "Nathan Jackson" <njackson@...> wrote:

                        Jaime,

                         I have a pair of Five Fingers that I play around with but I kick too many roots to brave a long training run or race with those things or anything else too minimal. Also, I think people get too caught up into the latest craze and will believe whatever they're told will improve their technique, speed etc. Take a look a this article - http://www.irunfar.com/2011/03/the-religion-of-running-technique.html. Don't get me wrong, I'm in to the minimal movement. I just don't think it's wise to go au natural (barefoot) like I saw some dude at Rocky Racoon,...in a kilt.

                        Nathan Jackson

                        We usually run 1 hour and then head back to the cars to re-fuel...then those who want can go out for more fun.

                        Pace varies with who is leading.
                        Usually a trail pace tends to be about 1-1:30 minutes slower than your road pace. We'll most likely be running an 11 min/mile pace with some walk breaks.
                        We also have a rule that no one is left behind. We wait at the mayor intersections and make sure everyone is present before heading off into the next section of trail.
                        Come on out, you won't know unless you try!

                        --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, "yepyep" <jasonchope@...> wrote:

                        > Hey guys! I just joined the group and was wondering how man miles you do on Saturdays and the pace? I have only been running about a year and half (and all of that has been on roads) and I don't want to slow you guys down. Thanks and look forward to meeting you all!

                      • Susan Bell

                          Message 13 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011

                            I also saw a woman at Bataan... when I asked her how she was doing in her Vibrams, she said great!!! but - she was sure taking measured and slow steps and it was apparent that her feet were suffering.  I have  a pair of Vibram KSO's and the farthest I will go in them is 5 or 6 miles.  I do, however love wearing them to work when I will be on the concrete floor of the mattress store all day.

                            We usually run 1 hour and then head back to the cars to re-fuel...then those who want can go out for more fun.

                            Pace varies with who is leading.
                            Usually a trail pace tends to be about 1-1:30 minutes slower than your road pace. We'll most likely be running an 11 min/mile pace with some walk breaks.
                            We also have a rule that no one is left behind. We wait at the mayor intersections and make sure everyone is present before heading off into the next section of trail.
                            Come on out, you won't know unless you try!

                            --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, "yepyep" <jasonchope@...> wrote:

                            > Hey guys! I just joined the group and was wondering how man miles you do on Saturdays and the pace? I have only been running about a year and half (and all of that has been on roads) and I don't want to slow you guys down. Thanks and look forward to meeting you all!

                          • Stacy A. Bacon
                            Message 14 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011

                              I’m an avid runner, kinesiology major, and orthopaedic surgeon and agree whole heartedly with this article.

                              Stacy

                               I have a pair of Five Fingers that I play around with but I kick too many roots to brave a long training run or race with those things or anything else too minimal. Also, I think people get too caught up into the latest craze and will believe whatever they're told will improve their technique, speed etc. Take a look a this article - http://www.irunfar.com/2011/03/the-religion-of-running-technique.html. Don't get me wrong, I'm in to the minimal movement. I just don't think it's wise to go au natural (barefoot) like I saw some dude at Rocky Racoon,...in a kilt.

                              Another good read - http://www.irunfar.com/2011/03/improving-running-economy.html

                              Nathan Jackson