Re: [h_t_rex] Texas Trails Run

  • Larry Teeter
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 12, 2010
      Sorry to hear that Jay.
      Had I known I could have given you some.
      I think we get a bit spoiled by Joe P & Paul Stone races.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Dec 12, 2010, at 8:59 AM, Jay <jpa_1971@...> wrote:

      True that, no support, or food. Also, I dropped my baggie of electrolytes about 5 miles onto the race. Not one aid station had a single capsule. Instead they offered me Gatorade and table salt...

      Great seeing you out there too!

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Dec 12, 2010, at 8:55 AM, "Stacy Bacon" <stacy.bacon@...> wrote:

      You too Jay. Good seeing you again.

      Was a beautiful day for a trail run.  Too bad the race itself blew.  Seemed like a road race attitude on the trails.  Aid stations had bad food and no support (moral, mental, or food).  I had to eat an apple whole because they wouldn’t cut it.  I would not recommend this race to anyone next year.

      Who’s going to Bandera?

      Stacy

      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 12, 2010

        You mean none of the aid stations had any Peanut Butter/Banana/Bagel amuse-bouche ?
        Jay you should have been volunteering rather than running =)

      • kfelicidario@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 12, 2010
          H Trex aid stations can not be beat. The End. You are welcome to read my race report at
          www.runningtohim.blogspot.com
          Karen

          From: "mariela_botella" <mvbotella@...>
          Sender: h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 22:28:16 -0000
          To: <h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [h_t_rex] Re: Texas Trails Run

          You mean none of the aid stations had any Peanut Butter/Banana/Bagel amuse-bouche ?
          Jay you should have been volunteering rather than running =)

        • Jay
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 12, 2010
            They couldn't afford me...

            Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 13, 2010
                I thought the aid stations were a bit sparse on food choices but that was just an observation as I usually don't stop for food. The attitude by volunteers seemed fine. I don't speak much to anyone at the aid stations anyway. No problems with the race and would advise running it if you are just looking for a race.

                The only issue I had was they left me off the overall finishers results but had me in the splits section.

                Nathan Jackson

                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 13, 2010
                  Maybe I'm just getting to be a total curmudgeon as I get older, but it's personally become hard to justify spending $85 to run loops at Huntsville.  I don't say this to be critical of anyone's choice to do so.  My general question to folks in the group is:  What motivates you to pay to run a race at Huntsville rather than just go out there and run 31 miles with friends (or solo)?  Is it competition?  Swag?  A certified course / accurate timing?  I would add that I don't feel the same about RR100 (which is technically "loops around Huntsville") because it's an "event" and the 100-mile distance has a certain epic quality about it whereever it happens.  In any case, I'm interested to hear what drives people.

                  Miles

                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 13, 2010
                      Texas State Park Pass is $60 per year. That should cover more than a few entrances into the state park. Plus others to boot.

                      While I haven't done the Trails Run or Rocky Raccoon or anything else at Huntsville, Based on the recent race reports from the last run there, I would be very disappointed with an $85 fee and have the race be lack luster for the support tables. I would think that people who are into running these longer distances are not really all that interested in the swag, the tshirts or other givaways. They are probably much more interested in the SUPPORT at the tables and finishers medal. At least that's MY preference.

                      Did the 30k run at Sugar Land this weekend and it went well. But as a first timer to the event, I won't be running it again. Granted I only did it as part of the race series for the "special jacket", quite a few things about the race bothered me. Placement of water stops, location of route with traffic, information on the website, maps, directions...etc. To me these shouldn't have been issues or difficult especially for an event that has been going on for 23 years.

                      But maybe I'm just too critical.

                      I did finish in 3:08. Waaaay too much concrete. More trails please!

                      Eric Henao

                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 14, 2010
                        I have a small meniscus tear in my (good) knee.  I am scheduled for surgery on 12/23, but I am having second thoughts.  I have a friend who has the same injury and did not have surgery and he runs marathons and does ironman tri's frequently.  He does medicate for long runs and marathons (Vicodin, if you can believe that!).  Anyway, I'd like to hear if anyone has any opinions or experiences with a torn meniscus and had or have not had the surgery.  I see the Doc tomorrow for the pre op visit, so I appreciate your/any responses!

                        Thanks & Who Dat!
                        Arlene
                        ._,___

                      • Stacy A. Bacon
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 14, 2010

                          I’m an orthopaedic surgeon (although I specialize in foot and ankle).  Here are some questions I have for you:

                          1)      How long have you had the problem?

                          2)      What’s been done so far

                          3)      What are your symptoms

                          4)      Who are you seeing/doing the surgery

                          5)      Location of the tear

                          6)      You age

                          Some meniscal tears (about 1/3) get better with rest and PT.  Not all require surgery to “fix”.

                          Stacy

                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 14, 2010
                            Arlene,

                            I've had one client and a neighbor who both had the surgery with great success. One was walking his dog 4 miles a day within a week or so. The other is a Geo and was leading filed trips again in the mountains within a month. I have heard a few stories in the other direction. Its done with a scope so recovery is pretty quick. It is important to follow ALL of the post op directions. It is also a HUGE advantage to be physically fit going in.

                            Hope this helps. Good luck!!

                            Jules

                            Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 14, 2010
                              Get it fixed, I walked out after the surgery and could tell the difference immediatly. I then used a walk, run program to get back to running.
                              Hope it goes well for you.
                              Jamie
                              ebb tide racing

                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 14, 2010
                                STACY!!! Can I get your number? I'd like to pick your brain and perhaps schedule an appointment with you.

                                Jules
                                713 894 0409

                                Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                                From: "Stacy A. Bacon" <stacy.bacon@...>
                                Sender: h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com
                                Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 07:21:35 -0600
                                To: <h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com>
                                ReplyTo: h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com
                                Subject: RE: [h_t_rex] Opinions, Please!

                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 14, 2010
                                  I ran in the 30k too and have mainly the same observations. Good point on this thread overall is why I'm paying to run as much as I do in the first place. I like supported long runs (maybe need to toughen up more), but I can get that for $5/week with Kenyan Way anyways. I'm new to the group and am concentrating on the Austin Marathon right now on my Saturday runs, but I'm looking forward to joining in on some Saturday morning trail runs this spring.

                                  Kelly
                                  --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, Eric Henao <erichenao@...> wrote:

                                  > Texas State Park Pass is $60 per year. That should cover more than a few
                                  > entrances into the state park. Plus others to boot.
                                  >
                                  > While I haven't done the Trails Run or Rocky Raccoon or anything else at
                                  > Huntsville, Based on the recent race reports from the last run there, I
                                  > would be very disappointed with an $85 fee and have the race be lack luster
                                  > for the support tables. I would think that people who are into running these
                                  > longer distances are not really all that interested in the swag, the tshirts
                                  > or other givaways. They are probably much more interested in the SUPPORT at
                                  > the tables and finishers medal. At least that's MY preference.
                                  >
                                  > Did the 30k run at Sugar Land this weekend and it went well. But as a first
                                  > timer to the event, I won't be running it again. Granted I only did it as
                                  > part of the race series for the "special jacket", quite a few things about
                                  > the race bothered me. Placement of water stops, location of route with
                                  > traffic, information on the website, maps, directions...etc. To me these
                                  > shouldn't have been issues or difficult especially for an event that has
                                  > been going on for 23 years.
                                  >
                                  > But maybe I'm just too critical.
                                  >
                                  > I did finish in 3:08. Waaaay too much concrete. More trails please!
                                  >
                                  > Eric Henao
                                  >

                                  > On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Julie Garcia <julestx96@...>wrote:
                                  >

                                  > > Free entrance to Huntsville State Park?
                                  > > :-)
                                  > >
                                  > > On Dec 13, 2010, at 4:01 PM, HM Klaff <hmklaff@...> wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > Maybe I'm just getting to be a total curmudgeon as I get older, but it's
                                  > > personally become hard to justify spending $85 to run loops at Huntsville.
                                  > > I don't say this to be critical of anyone's choice to do so. My general
                                  > > question to folks in the group is: What motivates you to pay to run a race
                                  > > at Huntsville rather than just go out there and run 31 miles with friends
                                  > > (or solo)? Is it competition? Swag? A certified course / accurate
                                  > > timing? I would add that I don't feel the same about RR100 (which is
                                  > > technically "loops around Huntsville") because it's an "event" and the
                                  > > 100-mile distance has a certain epic quality about it whereever it happens.
                                  > > In any case, I'm interested to hear what drives people.
                                  > >
                                  > > Miles
                                  > >
                                  > > On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Nathan Jackson <<njackson@...>
                                  > > njackson@...> wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > >> I thought the aid stations were a bit sparse on food choices but that was
                                  > >> just an observation as I usually don't stop for food. The attitude by
                                  > >> volunteers seemed fine. I don't speak much to anyone at the aid stations
                                  > >> anyway. No problems with the race and would advise running it if you are
                                  > >> just looking for a race.
                                  > >>
                                  > >> The only issue I had was they left me off the overall finishers results
                                  > >> but had me in the splits section.
                                  > >>

                                  > >> *Nathan Jackson*
                                  > >>

                                  > >> ------------------------------

                                • Eric Henao
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 14, 2010
                                    Well if I was to REALLY complain, it would be about the stupid high price for the pictures that these photo companies charge! They'll take 20 or so pics and maybe one or two will be really good. ANd then they want $60 for one digital file download? Sheesh!

                                    I actually don't mind the photos...being a photographer, i easily spot the photo peeps and often ham it up for the photos. Most of the time just about all of my photos turn out well, especially the finish line ones. I just have an issue paying $60 for that one finishline photo as a digital download. I mean I COULD get the $20 8x10 PRINTED photo, but who wants that any more? I can't share that on FACEBOOK! Sheesh!

                                    okay...enough for now!

                                  • Stacy A. Bacon
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Dec 14, 2010

                                      I agree

> [...]

                                      > > (or solo)? Is it competition? Swag? A certified course / accurate
                                      > > timing? I would add that I don't feel the same about RR100 (which is
                                      > > technically "loops around Huntsville") because it's an "event" and the
                                      > > 100-mile distance has a certain epic quality about it whereever it happens.
                                      > > In any case, I'm interested to hear what drives people.
                                      > >
                                      > > Miles
                                      > >
                                      > > On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Nathan Jackson <<njackson@...>
                                      > > njackson@...> wrote:
                                      > >

                                      > >> I thought the aid stations were a bit sparse on food choices but that was
                                      > >> just an observation as I usually don't stop for food. The attitude by
                                      > >> volunteers seemed fine. I don't speak much to anyone at the aid stations
                                      > >> anyway. No problems with the race and would advise running it if you are
                                      > >> just looking for a race.
                                      > >>
                                      > >> The only issue I had was they left me off the overall finishers results

                                    • Julie Monte
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Dec 14, 2010
                                        I agree! Buy the $20 one then scan it.

                                        Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile