Saturday, Sept 25th HoChiMinh Trail Run & Walk/Huntsville State Park Run

  • h_t_rex
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 22, 2010

      HCM Trail Run

      Run start at 6:00AM from the Footbridge Parking Lot.

      The run will be lead by Mariela mvbotella@...

      Please bring a water bottle and replenish electrolytes.

      ** Since Houston Fit is in full swing, remember to get there a few minutes early to find parking**

      HCM Trail Walk

      Walk start at 9:00AM from the Footbridge Parking Lot.

      The walk will be lead by Mariela mvbotella@...

      Directions: (you may have to copy/paste to access link)

      http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=95843212817#!/photo.php?pid=586442&op=3&o=global&view=global&subj=95843212817&id=1650631698

      Huntsville State Park Trail Run

      The plan is to meet at the Lodge around 6:15-6:20am and hit the trails by 6:30am. The Lodge is the location of the start of the Rocky Raccoon. We'll be dropping off water by the first road crossing, so feel free to do the same on your way in. Call my cell 832-434-7280 (Heather) if you run into any issues.  Looking forward to seeing you all there!

    • Katie Pira
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 23, 2010
        I would like to attend the trail run this week but I'm a beginner.
        What distance is the run? Are all levels welcome?

        Thanks!
        Katie

        --
        Sent from my mobile device
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 23, 2010
          All levels are definitely welcome.  Except maybe really fast people ...   Very hard to say how far a given run is.  We usually go out for an hour or hour & a half and then come back to the cars.  Some people head back out after that, some don't.  Generally pretty laid back.

          Miles

          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 24, 2010
            HI Katie

            Come on out. We start at 6Am this Saturday, get there with enough time to find parking since HF has taken over the park.
            You can run as long as you want. There are usually plenty of 'bail out' opportunities if you had enough fn for one morning.
            see you there!
            Mariela
          • Indy Fugate
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 24, 2010
              What hydration systems do most trails runners prefer the belt type or camelback? any comments are welcomed..

              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 24, 2010
                I'm fond of the beer tap.

                Sent from my iPhone

                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 24, 2010
                  Holy moly that's early! I'll do my best to get there I promise haha.

                  Thank you for responding, I was going to show up at 7.

                  Katie

                  --
                  Sent from my mobile device
                • Indy Fugate
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 24, 2010
                    lol  ok... i will give you that ... a drunk runner hmmm scary or funny? A whole new poll

                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 24, 2010

                      12 oz'ers are more runner friendly though.

                      Back to the real question, I prefer handheld to the belt type.

                      -Will
                      --
                      Sent from my Nokia N900

                      -------------------------------------------------------------- Ovi Mail: Making email access easy
                      http://mail.ovi.com

                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 24, 2010
                          Ok. maybe I should be a bit more clear, while running on public property which system do you prefer?

                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 24, 2010
                            Katie
                            You may want to bring a flashlight or headlamp.
                            Time goes by faster in the dark ;-)

                            IF you still want to show up at 7AM, we can swing by the cars and pick you up. That way we can drop off our lights.
                            Let me know.

                            Mariela

                            --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, Katie Pira <pirakat@...> wrote:

                            > Holy moly that's early! I'll do my best to get there I promise haha.
                            >
                            > Thank you for responding, I was going to show up at 7.
                            >
                            > Katie
                          • Julie Monte
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 24, 2010
                              Depends on the length of the run and access to aid stations as well as personal preference.

                              Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                              From: Indy Fugate <indyfugate@...>
                              Sender: h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com
                              Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 09:47:38 -0700 (PDT)
                              To: <h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com>
                              ReplyTo: h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 24, 2010
                                Short runs and runs with aid sytations close together (~5 miles) - hand helds.

                                Longer runs and runs with Aid Stations far apart (~8-10 miles) - camel back and a hand held.
                              • Indy Fugate
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 24, 2010
                                  Thanks!!

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 24, 2010
                                    I switched to an Ultimate Direction "Wink" hydration system this summer and can't believe I took so long to try a camelback. I love this thing.
                                    The waistpacks drove me nuts. (its a short trip for me)

                                    Lynnor Matheney
                                    The Woodlands

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 24, 2010
                                      Required.

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Sep 24, 2010
                                        Oh wow that would be fantastic. But I called the park automated line
                                        and I'm still getting the "trails are closed" message. Do you think
                                        they'll get dried out by tomorrow morning? I can definitely get there
                                        by 7 though.

                                        Thanks,
                                        Katie

                                        --
                                        Sent from my mobile device
                                      • Julie Monte
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Sep 24, 2010
                                          The trails are never closed to trail runners ;). Rain, mud or shine

                                          Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                                          From: Katie Pira <pirakat@...>
                                          Sender: h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com
                                          Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 12:22:13 -0500
                                          To: <h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com>
                                          ReplyTo: h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com
                                          Subject: Re: [h_t_rex] 6AM vs 7AM start on saturday - FYI

                                          --
                                          Sent from my mobile device

                                        • Eric Henao
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Sep 24, 2010
                                            I would agree with this.

                                            A subset of this would be to have a poll for determining what kind of
                                            backpack is used? Nathan? Camelback? Any other brands???

                                            Sent from Eric's phone.
                                          • Eric Henao
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Sep 24, 2010
                                              There is always the hashers to run with. They give new definition to running and drinking...

                                              Sent from Eric's phone.