Headlamps

  • dapeth
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2010

      Mary,

      Here is a link to the site for the Ay-Up light we talked about today ... http://www.ayup-lights.com/products/categories/2/.
      If you just want it for trail running, I recommend the Ultra Lite with the head torch kit and medium beam for the light for about $207. They also sell pieces and parts separately if you want to get extra batteries or customize the kit. They have other kits for multi-sport use and you would probably want different light beam patterns for mtn biking.

      We used a Wilma for a 32 hour adventure race in North Carolina and it was super bright. Betty blows it away and now they improved on that one. This light is more than 4 times the light output of the AyUp set for more than 4 times the price. If my life depended on it, I'd get this light ... but it doesn't so I think AyUp is a good compromise for the price.

      Good running with you today!
      Dave
    • glindley1769@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2010
        If you need a very lightweight headlamp for travel or backpacking:
        It fits in your pocket, running short, etc.  you never notice it.  Very lightweight and it rotates to all angles.  The light uses the flat watch battery too.
        It would not be the best for using during long night runs or adventure racing.  But, it is great for airplanes, reading, or dusk and dawn.  However, it will light a trail or street up.  For only $29.00.

        This version is inexpensive, but needs the harness attachment.  Very powerful.

        Nope, not a Petzl salesman...  But, I like their products and prices!

        Happy trails.
        Gordie

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2010
          Mary,

          If you're not sure about spending a ton of money, there are lots of good, lightweight headlamps from Petzl, Black Diamond, and Princeton Tec, that won't set you back an arm and a leg.  I also have one of the e+LITE's and agree that it's a great little backup light.  I usually stuff one it in my pack (just in case), but I wouldn't want to have to run with it for too long - not quite strong enough.

          I've used Princeton Tec's Quad headlamp before & have no complaints, especially for $32:  http://www.rei.com/product/736937

          Although I prefer flashlights to headlamps these days, if you want something with some power, you might check this one out:

          I have a Fenix flashlight, and it's a really high-quality light.  Absolutely love it.  I'm sure the headlamps are no different.

          Now you have lots of suggestions!  Good luck.

          Miles

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2010
            The Coast LED Lensor might be the best bang for your buck. 170 lumens for under $45. I have used it for running Ho Chi Minh at night and it lights the place up. Compare with the Black Diamond Spot which is a popular headlamp that sells for $40 but only has 60 lumens.

            J.P.

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2010
              My only caveat about focusing too much on lumens is to check the battery life at the advertised lumen level.  A lot of lights advertise retina-burning lumen levels, but that's usually their top setting and using that setting for long will chew through batteries pretty fast.

              Sent from my iPhone

              http://www.zombieru nner.com/ store/categories /flashlights/ product2517. html

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 21, 2010
                Any ideas for a good inexpensive headlamp?

                Happy Trails,

                Wayne Webb
                Stony, Texas

                PeoplePC Online
                A better way to Internet
                http://www.peoplepc.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 21, 2010

                  I bought my Petzl at Bass Pro for around $20 and it seems to be plenty bright enough.