Trail Maintenance

  • JP Hamilton
    Message 1 of 24 , May 6 8:28 PM
      Ghorba got back to me in minutes. Our best bet may be to join up with one of there work parties and split off to work on the sections that would benefit us runners most.

      Anyway, here is the response:

      ---------------------------------
      J.P.

      Thanks for asking and offering your group to help. Joining one of Russell's work parties is probably best, as the park is sensitive about any volunteer-performed work.

      I am cc-ing our trails dudes, Chris Brown (trails@...) and Russell Adams (MP Trail Steward, mptrailwork@...), here.

      They'll get back to you soon.

      --
      Veljko Roskar
      secretary@...

      Message 2 of 24 , May 7 12:56 PM
        A certain guy I know took a folding handsaw into a certain set of trails today at around noon. I heard that he removed most of the stumps on Rollercoaster, Fluffy Bunny (giving a whole new meaning to the phrase 'gone like a dead possum on the Fluffy Bunny'), a few off of Alligator Alley, a major one on the long section of the orange trail, and did some canopy clearing on Renegade, including this son-of-a-bastard stump: http://imgur.com/1YT7X. Bonus points to everyone who knows this stump and has felt its wrath.

        Have a good run tomorrow folks and be sure to mourn the loss of your favorite stumps if you run these trails tomorrow.

        J.P.

        Message 3 of 24 , May 7 1:15 PM
          The three-pronged stump is gone!  The three-pronged stump is gone!

          Fine work.

          On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 2:56 PM, JP Hamilton <jphamil@...> wrote:

          A certain guy I know took a folding handsaw into a certain set of trails today at around noon. I heard that he removed most of the stumps on Rollercoaster, Fluffy Bunny (giving a whole new meaning to the phrase 'gone like a dead possum on the Fluffy Bunny'), a few off of Alligator Alley, a major one on the long section of the orange trail, and did some canopy clearing on Renegade, including this son-of-a-bastard stump: http://imgur.com/1YT7X. Bonus points to everyone who knows this stump and has felt its wrath.

          Have a good run tomorrow folks and be sure to mourn the loss of your favorite stumps if you run these trails tomorrow.

          J.P.

        • Christopher Kapraun
          Message 4 of 24 , May 7 3:08 PM
            Sniffle...well at least I got to say goodbye Thursday night....
            How long is the canopy cleaning going to be good for?
            ...CK

            Message 5 of 24 , May 7 3:25 PM
              I think it will be good for awhile because most of it was dead and just taking up space. There is still tons of work to do, but I think the next time you run Renegade you will notice that you aren't ducking so much. I only made it up to where the bayou cuts across the trail - don't know what that's called - so there is still plenty more to do.

              Message 6 of 24 , May 7 7:59 PM
                The ducking I didn't mind....sorta chalked it up to agility training....there was one spot that I actually had to do a moving squat to get under that I coulda live without if the legs are stiff that day.

                I was thinking more of the foliage closing down on the trail from the sides in a couple of spots on renegade and where it joins back with green and the pit of busted glass and other trash...makes me think of taking a machete or weed whacker through once.

                Is it just me or has a lot of yellow, orange, blue on the west side of purple gotten less technical...almost paved for mountain bikers looking to go fast?  Renegade is still fun.

                ...CK

                Message 7 of 24 , May 8 9:52 AM
                  I thought there was something missing on the trail this morning!
                  LOL