RE: [h_t_rex] Memorial Day training run

  • Collazos, German
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 11, 2010

      Hi Mary,

      I would LOVE to run a portion of your 24 hour training run with you on May 29.  I will support you in any way that I can.  You are awesome!

      G-Man

      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 11, 2010
        Mary,

        I think you have a really wonderful idea, but it's my understanding that the Park loop is closed between 11 pm and 5 am, during which time runners aren't allowed. I have no idea if that's enforced or not, but it's just something to check into before making the final plan. If it's not enforced then there shouldn't be any problems... just something to think about.

        more park info: http://www.memorialparkconservancy.org/default.aspx/MenuItemID/195/MenuGroup/Home+New.htm

        Chris

        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 11, 2010
          I'd love to run with you. Especially thru the night.
          Should we start a sign up sheet? ;-)

          Sent from my iPhone - iJealous?

            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 11, 2010
              would love to join you for part of the day if everything works out with the logistics...

              Maryann

              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 11, 2010

                I think the restrooms close during those hours but there are 2 or 3 port-a-potties near the tennis center for those inconvenient hours.  Otherwise no one will be out there chasing you with a stick, yelling that the park is closed.

                Now that I mention it, it might be a good idea to have a group hide out somewhere along the loop with sticks and lie in wait to do that. It would certainly add a bit of liveliness to the graveyard crew. J

                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 11, 2010
                  Paige,
                  Are you thinking of this kind of training:
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3S0wu4Zbfk

                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 11, 2010
                    great video!!!

                    Are you thinking of this kind of training:
                    http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=r3S0wu4Zbfk

                    I think the restrooms close during those hours but there are 2 or 3 port-a-potties near the tennis center for those inconvenient hours.  Otherwise no one will be out there chasing you with a stick, yelling that the park is closed.

                    Now that I mention it, it might be a good idea to have a group hide out somewhere along the loop with sticks and lie in wait to do that. It would certainly add a bit of liveliness to the graveyard crew. J

                    I think you have a really wonderful idea, but it's my understanding that the Park loop is closed between 11 pm and 5 am, during which time runners aren't allowed. I have no idea if that's enforced or not, but it's just something to check into before making the final plan. If it's not enforced then there shouldn't be any problems... just something to think about.

                    more park info: http://www.memorial parkconservancy. org/default. aspx/MenuItemID/ 195/MenuGroup/ Home+New. htm

                    Chris

                    --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups .com, Mary Ntefidou <maria_ntefidou@ ...> wrote:

                    > Runners,
                    >
                    > I want to take advantage of the Memorial Day weekend and do a 24h training run.
                    >
                    > Is there any interest to run at Memorial Park loop for a day?
                    > Start Saturday 05.29 at 5AM to Sunday 5AM.
                    > Memorial Park is more convenient than the Rice loop because of the restroom/shower facilities. On the down side it is more sun exposed and will be crowded in the morning.
                    > I will have water, gels... in the car. Loop runs are very easy to manage.
                    >
                    > I don't have a lot of hope to hear any positive replies. But before I sign up again for the Nanny Goats race in California I thought to give it a try. It's a long time to Memorial Day but I have to book flights at specific day times according to my work schedule.
                    >
                    > All the best,
                    > Mary

                  • Mary Ntefidou
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 11, 2010
                      You all surprised me, and most did Miles.

                      Thank you for the information Chris and Paige. I will call tomorrow to find out for sure. Paige, do you know for sure that the police that is cruising by quite often won't stop us? Then, I may better not call and wake up sleeping dogs.
                      In the meantime let me know what hours you could join me. Especially, from ~10pm to 4AM I will have to know for sure that somebody will be there.

                      I like your idea to hide along the loop and bring some life to the run. But it is not really necessary. In Huntsville a group of frogs was enough to scare me seriously for a while.

                      Thank you all,
                      Mary

                      I think the restrooms close during those hours but there are 2 or 3 port-a-potties near the tennis center for those inconvenient hours.  Otherwise no one will be out there chasing you with a stick, yelling that the park is closed.

                      Now that I mention it, it might be a good idea to have a group hide out somewhere along the loop with sticks and lie in wait to do that. It would certainly add a bit of liveliness to the graveyard crew. J

                      I think you have a really wonderful idea, but it's my understanding that the Park loop is closed between 11 pm and 5 am, during which time runners aren't allowed. I have no idea if that's enforced or not, but it's just something to check into before making the final plan. If it's not enforced then there shouldn't be any problems... just something to think about.

                      more park info: http://www.memorial parkconservancy. org/default. aspx/MenuItemID/ 195/MenuGroup/ Home+New. htm

                      Chris

                      --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups .com, Mary Ntefidou <maria_ntefidou@ ...> wrote:

                      > Runners,
                      >
                      > I want to take advantage of the Memorial Day weekend and do a 24h training run.
                      >
                      > Is there any interest to run at Memorial Park loop for a day?
                      > Start Saturday 05.29 at 5AM to Sunday 5AM.
                      > Memorial Park is more convenient than the Rice loop because of the restroom/shower facilities. On the down side it is more sun exposed and will be crowded in the morning.
                      > I will have water, gels... in the car. Loop runs are very easy to manage.
                      >
                      > I don't have a lot of hope to hear any positive replies. But before I sign up again for the Nanny Goats race in California I thought to give it a try. It's a long time to Memorial Day but I have to book flights at specific day times according to my work schedule.
                      >
                      > All the best,
                      > Mary

                    • Jay Alvarez
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 11, 2010
                        Are you talking about the laughing frogs?

                        I think the restrooms close during those hours but there are 2 or 3 port-a-potties near the tennis center for those inconvenient hours.  Otherwise no one will be out there chasing you with a stick, yelling that the park is closed.

                        Now that I mention it, it might be a good idea to have a group hide out somewhere along the loop with sticks and lie in wait to do that. It would certainly add a bit of liveliness to the graveyard crew. J

                        I think you have a really wonderful idea, but it's my understanding that the Park loop is closed between 11 pm and 5 am, during which time runners aren't allowed. I have no idea if that's enforced or not, but it's just something to check into before making the final plan. If it's not enforced then there shouldn't be any problems... just something to think about.

                        more park info: http://www.memorial parkconservancy. org/default. aspx/MenuItemID/ 195/MenuGroup/ Home+New. htm

                        Chris

                        --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups .com, Mary Ntefidou <maria_ntefidou@ ...> wrote:

                        > Runners,
                        >
                        > I want to take advantage of the Memorial Day weekend and do a 24h training run.
                        >
                        > Is there any interest to run at Memorial Park loop for a day?
                        > Start Saturday 05.29 at 5AM to Sunday 5AM.
                        > Memorial Park is more convenient than the Rice loop because of the restroom/shower facilities. On the down side it is more sun exposed and will be crowded in the morning.
                        > I will have water, gels... in the car. Loop runs are very easy to manage.
                        >
                        > I don't have a lot of hope to hear any positive replies. But before I sign up again for the Nanny Goats race in California I thought to give it a try. It's a long time to Memorial Day but I have to book flights at specific day times according to my work schedule.
                        >
                        > All the best,
                        > Mary

                      • Charles & Annette Garcia
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 11, 2010
                          Mary,

                          Consider this a positive reply! Logistics may need some effort but I'm willing to help there. We could have some fun with this, especially if there were a handful of people nutty enough to do a late May 24-hour run in Houston!

                          Keep us posted!
                          Charles

                          I think you have a really wonderful idea, but it's my understanding that the Park loop is closed between 11 pm and 5 am, during which time runners aren't allowed. I have no idea if that's enforced or not, but it's just something to check into before making the final plan. If it's not enforced then there shouldn't be any problems... just something to think about.

                          more park info: http://www.memorial parkconservancy. org/default. aspx/MenuItemID/ 195/MenuGroup/ Home+New. htm

                          Chris

                          --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups .com, Mary Ntefidou <maria_ntefidou@ ...> wrote:

                          > Runners,
                          >
                          > I want to take advantage of the Memorial Day weekend and do a 24h training run.
                          >
                          > Is there any interest to run at Memorial Park loop for a day?
                          > Start Saturday 05.29 at 5AM to Sunday 5AM.
                          > Memorial Park is more convenient than the Rice loop because of the restroom/shower facilities. On the down side it is more sun exposed and will be crowded in the morning.
                          > I will have water, gels... in the car. Loop runs are very easy to manage.
                          >
                          > I don't have a lot of hope to hear any positive replies. But before I sign up again for the Nanny Goats race in California I thought to give it a try. It's a long time to Memorial Day but I have to book flights at specific day times according to my work schedule.
                          >
                          > All the best,
                          > Mary

                          Are you talking about the laughing frogs?

                          I think the restrooms close during those hours but there are 2 or 3 port-a-potties near the tennis center for those inconvenient hours.  Otherwise no one will be out there chasing you with a stick, yelling that the park is closed.

                          Now that I mention it, it might be a good idea to have a group hide out somewhere along the loop with sticks and lie in wait to do that. It would certainly add a bit of liveliness to the graveyard crew. J

                        • Indy Fugate
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 12, 2010
                            sounds like fun.. I'm in...

                            Consider this a positive reply! Logistics may need some effort but I'm willing to help there. We could have some fun with this, especially if there were a handful of people nutty enough to do a late May 24-hour run in Houston!

                            Keep us posted!
                            Charles

                            Are you talking about the laughing frogs?

                            I think the restrooms close during those hours but there are 2 or 3 port-a-potties near the tennis center for those inconvenient hours.  Otherwise no one will be out there chasing you with a stick, yelling that the park is closed.

                            Now that I mention it, it might be a good idea to have a group hide out somewhere along the loop with sticks and lie in wait to do that. It would certainly add a bit of liveliness to the graveyard crew. J

                            I think you have a really wonderful idea, but it's my understanding that the Park loop is closed between 11 pm and 5 am, during which time runners aren't allowed. I have no idea if that's enforced or not, but it's just something to check into before making the final plan. If it's not enforced then there shouldn't be any problems... just something to think about.

                            more park info: http://www.memorial parkconservancy. org/default. aspx/MenuItemID/ 195/MenuGroup/ Home+New. htm

                            Chris

                            --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups .com, Mary Ntefidou <maria_ntefidou@ ...> wrote:

                            > Runners,
                            >
                            > I want to take advantage of the Memorial Day weekend and do a 24h training run.
                            >
                            > Is there any interest to run at Memorial Park loop for a day?
                            > Start Saturday 05.29 at 5AM to Sunday 5AM.
                            > Memorial Park is more convenient than the Rice loop because of the restroom/shower facilities. On the down side it is more sun exposed and will be crowded in the morning.
                            > I will have water, gels... in the car. Loop runs are very easy to manage.
                            >
                            > I don't have a lot of hope to hear any positive replies. But before I sign up again for the Nanny Goats race in California I thought to give it a try. It's a long time to Memorial Day but I have to book flights at specific day times according to my work schedule.
                            >
                            > All the best,
                            > Mary

                          • Kate Colberg
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 12, 2010
                              Those frogs were crazy! They were laughing at us I swear!

                              Mary, I'm in for the night shift as well.

                              Kate

                            • Susan Bell (bklynsue@gmail.com)
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 12, 2010
                                Me too! Looking forward to it!

                                Susan Bell

                                Sent from my iPhone

                                sounds like fun.. I'm in...

                              • pdavidyoung@yahoo.com
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 12, 2010
                                  If I'm here I'm in. This sounds like a party!

                                  Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                                  From: "Susan Bell (bklynsue@...)" <bklynsue@...>
                                  Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 08:25:16 -0600
                                  To: h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com<h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com>

                                  Me too! Looking forward to it!

                                  Susan Bell

                                  Sent from my iPhone

                                  sounds like fun.. I'm in...

                                    From: Paige Krekeler <pkrekeler@...>Sent: Thu, February 11, 2010 4:56:25 PM

                                  • bob.i.botto@exxonmobil.com
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 12, 2010
                                      Those were so amuseing!!! We (Liz and I) thought they were hilarious!

                                      Bob

                                      Bob Botto
                                      Analytical Services Laboratory
                                      Baytown Complex Laboratory Department
                                      5000 Bayway Dr. Baytown, Tx 77520
                                      Company Mail: CORP-BSL-103
                                      Phone: 281-834-5133
                                      Pager: 281-439-1300
                                      Fax: 281-834-1775
                                      Join the ExxonMobil Corporate Track & Field Team!

                                      Jay Alvarez
                                      <jpa_1971@yaho
                                      o.com> To
                                      Sent by: h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com
                                      h_t_rex@yahoog cc
                                      roups.com
                                      Subject
                                      Re: [h_t_rex] Re: Memorial Day
                                      02/11/10 08:29 training run
                                      PM

                                      Please respond
                                      h_t_rex@yahoog
                                      roups.com

                                      wrote:

                                      > Runners,
                                      >
                                      > I want to take advantage of the Memorial Day weekend and do a 24h
                                      training run.

                                      > Is there any interest to run at Memorial Park loop for a day?
                                      > Start Saturday 05.29 at 5AM to Sunday 5AM.
                                      > Memorial Park is more convenient than the Rice loop because of the
                                      restroom/shower facilities. On the down side it is more sun exposed
                                      and will be crowded in the morning.
                                      > I will have water, gels... in the car. Loop runs are very easy to
                                      manage.

                                      > I don't have a lot of hope to hear any positive replies. But
                                      before I sign up again for the Nanny Goats race in California I
                                      thought to give it a try. It's a long time to Memorial Day but I
                                      have to book flights at specific day times according to my work
                                      schedule.

                                      > All the best,
                                      > Mary

                                    • lotsmoreshoes now
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 12, 2010
                                        Mary - what a fabulous idea! if i'm in town, i'll go the final loops with you...as i've found out through the saturday trail 'walks' that my run pace is the walk pace for ya'll  :)
                                        Cheers!
                                        MyPhuong

                                        Let there be shoes!

                                        Consider this a positive reply! Logistics may need some effort but I'm willing to help there. We could have some fun with this, especially if there were a handful of people nutty enough to do a late May 24-hour run in Houston!

                                        Keep us posted!
                                        Charles

                                        Are you talking about the laughing frogs?

                                        I think the restrooms close during those hours but there are 2 or 3 port-a-potties near the tennis center for those inconvenient hours.  Otherwise no one will be out there chasing you with a stick, yelling that the park is closed.

                                        Now that I mention it, it might be a good idea to have a group hide out somewhere along the loop with sticks and lie in wait to do that. It would certainly add a bit of liveliness to the graveyard crew. J

                                        I think you have a really wonderful idea, but it's my understanding that the Park loop is closed between 11 pm and 5 am, during which time runners aren't allowed. I have no idea if that's enforced or not, but it's just something to check into before making the final plan. If it's not enforced then there shouldn't be any problems... just something to think about.

                                        more park info: http://www.memorial parkconservancy. org/default. aspx/MenuItemID/ 195/MenuGroup/ Home+New. htm

                                        Chris

                                        --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups .com, Mary Ntefidou <maria_ntefidou@ ...> wrote:

                                        > Runners,
                                        >
                                        > I want to take advantage of the Memorial Day weekend and do a 24h training run.
                                        >
                                        > Is there any interest to run at Memorial Park loop for a day?
                                        > Start Saturday 05.29 at 5AM to Sunday 5AM.
                                        > Memorial Park is more convenient than the Rice loop because of the restroom/shower facilities. On the down side it is more sun exposed and will be crowded in the morning.
                                        > I will have water, gels... in the car. Loop runs are very easy to manage.
                                        >
                                        > I don't have a lot of hope to hear any positive replies. But before I sign up again for the Nanny Goats race in California I thought to give it a try. It's a long time to Memorial Day but I have to book flights at specific day times according to my work schedule.
                                        >
                                        > All the best,
                                        > Mary

                                        Yahoo!7: Catch-up on your favourite Channel 7 TV shows easily, legally, and for free at PLUS7. Check it out.