Memorial Day training run

  • Mary Ntefidou
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 11, 2010
      Runners,

      I want to take advantage of the Memorial Day weekend and do a 24h training run.

      Is there any interest to run at Memorial Park loop for a day?
      Start Saturday 05.29 at 5AM to Sunday 5AM.
      Memorial Park is more convenient than the Rice loop because of the restroom/shower facilities. On the down side it is more sun exposed and will be crowded in the morning.
      I will have water, gels... in the car. Loop runs are very easy to manage.

      I don't have a lot of hope to hear any positive replies. But before I sign up again for the Nanny Goats race in California I thought to give it a try. It's a long time to Memorial Day but I have to book flights at specific day times according to my work schedule.

      All the best,
      Mary

    • Collazos, German
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 11, 2010

        Hi Mary,

        I would LOVE to run a portion of your 24 hour training run with you on May 29.  I will support you in any way that I can.  You are awesome!

        G-Man

        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 11, 2010
          Mary,

          I think you have a really wonderful idea, but it's my understanding that the Park loop is closed between 11 pm and 5 am, during which time runners aren't allowed. I have no idea if that's enforced or not, but it's just something to check into before making the final plan. If it's not enforced then there shouldn't be any problems... just something to think about.

          more park info: http://www.memorialparkconservancy.org/default.aspx/MenuItemID/195/MenuGroup/Home+New.htm

          Chris

          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 11, 2010
            I'd love to run with you. Especially thru the night.
            Should we start a sign up sheet? ;-)

            Sent from my iPhone - iJealous?

              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 11, 2010
                would love to join you for part of the day if everything works out with the logistics...

                Maryann

                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 11, 2010

                  I think the restrooms close during those hours but there are 2 or 3 port-a-potties near the tennis center for those inconvenient hours.  Otherwise no one will be out there chasing you with a stick, yelling that the park is closed.

                  Now that I mention it, it might be a good idea to have a group hide out somewhere along the loop with sticks and lie in wait to do that. It would certainly add a bit of liveliness to the graveyard crew. J

                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 11, 2010
                    Paige,
                    Are you thinking of this kind of training:
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3S0wu4Zbfk

                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 11, 2010
                      great video!!!

                      Are you thinking of this kind of training:
                      http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=r3S0wu4Zbfk

                      I think the restrooms close during those hours but there are 2 or 3 port-a-potties near the tennis center for those inconvenient hours.  Otherwise no one will be out there chasing you with a stick, yelling that the park is closed.

                      Now that I mention it, it might be a good idea to have a group hide out somewhere along the loop with sticks and lie in wait to do that. It would certainly add a bit of liveliness to the graveyard crew. J

                      I think you have a really wonderful idea, but it's my understanding that the Park loop is closed between 11 pm and 5 am, during which time runners aren't allowed. I have no idea if that's enforced or not, but it's just something to check into before making the final plan. If it's not enforced then there shouldn't be any problems... just something to think about.

                      more park info: http://www.memorial parkconservancy. org/default. aspx/MenuItemID/ 195/MenuGroup/ Home+New. htm

                      Chris

                      --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups .com, Mary Ntefidou <maria_ntefidou@ ...> wrote:

                      > Runners,
                      >
                      > I want to take advantage of the Memorial Day weekend and do a 24h training run.
                      >
                      > Is there any interest to run at Memorial Park loop for a day?
                      > Start Saturday 05.29 at 5AM to Sunday 5AM.
                      > Memorial Park is more convenient than the Rice loop because of the restroom/shower facilities. On the down side it is more sun exposed and will be crowded in the morning.
                      > I will have water, gels... in the car. Loop runs are very easy to manage.
                      >
                      > I don't have a lot of hope to hear any positive replies. But before I sign up again for the Nanny Goats race in California I thought to give it a try. It's a long time to Memorial Day but I have to book flights at specific day times according to my work schedule.
                      >
                      > All the best,
                      > Mary

                    • Mary Ntefidou
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 11, 2010
                        You all surprised me, and most did Miles.

                        Thank you for the information Chris and Paige. I will call tomorrow to find out for sure. Paige, do you know for sure that the police that is cruising by quite often won't stop us? Then, I may better not call and wake up sleeping dogs.
                        In the meantime let me know what hours you could join me. Especially, from ~10pm to 4AM I will have to know for sure that somebody will be there.

                        I like your idea to hide along the loop and bring some life to the run. But it is not really necessary. In Huntsville a group of frogs was enough to scare me seriously for a while.

                        Thank you all,
                        Mary

                        I think the restrooms close during those hours but there are 2 or 3 port-a-potties near the tennis center for those inconvenient hours.  Otherwise no one will be out there chasing you with a stick, yelling that the park is closed.

                        Now that I mention it, it might be a good idea to have a group hide out somewhere along the loop with sticks and lie in wait to do that. It would certainly add a bit of liveliness to the graveyard crew. J

                        I think you have a really wonderful idea, but it's my understanding that the Park loop is closed between 11 pm and 5 am, during which time runners aren't allowed. I have no idea if that's enforced or not, but it's just something to check into before making the final plan. If it's not enforced then there shouldn't be any problems... just something to think about.

                        more park info: http://www.memorial parkconservancy. org/default. aspx/MenuItemID/ 195/MenuGroup/ Home+New. htm

                        Chris

                        --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups .com, Mary Ntefidou <maria_ntefidou@ ...> wrote:

                        > Runners,
                        >
                        > I want to take advantage of the Memorial Day weekend and do a 24h training run.
                        >
                        > Is there any interest to run at Memorial Park loop for a day?
                        > Start Saturday 05.29 at 5AM to Sunday 5AM.
                        > Memorial Park is more convenient than the Rice loop because of the restroom/shower facilities. On the down side it is more sun exposed and will be crowded in the morning.
                        > I will have water, gels... in the car. Loop runs are very easy to manage.
                        >
                        > I don't have a lot of hope to hear any positive replies. But before I sign up again for the Nanny Goats race in California I thought to give it a try. It's a long time to Memorial Day but I have to book flights at specific day times according to my work schedule.
                        >
                        > All the best,
                        > Mary

                      • Jay Alvarez
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 11, 2010
                          Are you talking about the laughing frogs?

                          I think the restrooms close during those hours but there are 2 or 3 port-a-potties near the tennis center for those inconvenient hours.  Otherwise no one will be out there chasing you with a stick, yelling that the park is closed.

                          Now that I mention it, it might be a good idea to have a group hide out somewhere along the loop with sticks and lie in wait to do that. It would certainly add a bit of liveliness to the graveyard crew. J

                          I think you have a really wonderful idea, but it's my understanding that the Park loop is closed between 11 pm and 5 am, during which time runners aren't allowed. I have no idea if that's enforced or not, but it's just something to check into before making the final plan. If it's not enforced then there shouldn't be any problems... just something to think about.

                          more park info: http://www.memorial parkconservancy. org/default. aspx/MenuItemID/ 195/MenuGroup/ Home+New. htm

                          Chris

                          --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups .com, Mary Ntefidou <maria_ntefidou@ ...> wrote:

                          > Runners,
                          >
                          > I want to take advantage of the Memorial Day weekend and do a 24h training run.
                          >
                          > Is there any interest to run at Memorial Park loop for a day?
                          > Start Saturday 05.29 at 5AM to Sunday 5AM.
                          > Memorial Park is more convenient than the Rice loop because of the restroom/shower facilities. On the down side it is more sun exposed and will be crowded in the morning.
                          > I will have water, gels... in the car. Loop runs are very easy to manage.
                          >
                          > I don't have a lot of hope to hear any positive replies. But before I sign up again for the Nanny Goats race in California I thought to give it a try. It's a long time to Memorial Day but I have to book flights at specific day times according to my work schedule.
                          >
                          > All the best,
                          > Mary

                        • Charles & Annette Garcia
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 11, 2010
                            Mary,

                            Consider this a positive reply! Logistics may need some effort but I'm willing to help there. We could have some fun with this, especially if there were a handful of people nutty enough to do a late May 24-hour run in Houston!

                            Keep us posted!
                            Charles

                            I think you have a really wonderful idea, but it's my understanding that the Park loop is closed between 11 pm and 5 am, during which time runners aren't allowed. I have no idea if that's enforced or not, but it's just something to check into before making the final plan. If it's not enforced then there shouldn't be any problems... just something to think about.

                            more park info: http://www.memorial parkconservancy. org/default. aspx/MenuItemID/ 195/MenuGroup/ Home+New. htm

                            Chris

                            --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups .com, Mary Ntefidou <maria_ntefidou@ ...> wrote:

                            > Runners,
                            >
                            > I want to take advantage of the Memorial Day weekend and do a 24h training run.
                            >
                            > Is there any interest to run at Memorial Park loop for a day?
                            > Start Saturday 05.29 at 5AM to Sunday 5AM.
                            > Memorial Park is more convenient than the Rice loop because of the restroom/shower facilities. On the down side it is more sun exposed and will be crowded in the morning.
                            > I will have water, gels... in the car. Loop runs are very easy to manage.
                            >
                            > I don't have a lot of hope to hear any positive replies. But before I sign up again for the Nanny Goats race in California I thought to give it a try. It's a long time to Memorial Day but I have to book flights at specific day times according to my work schedule.
                            >
                            > All the best,
                            > Mary

                            Are you talking about the laughing frogs?

                            I think the restrooms close during those hours but there are 2 or 3 port-a-potties near the tennis center for those inconvenient hours.  Otherwise no one will be out there chasing you with a stick, yelling that the park is closed.

                            Now that I mention it, it might be a good idea to have a group hide out somewhere along the loop with sticks and lie in wait to do that. It would certainly add a bit of liveliness to the graveyard crew. J

                          • Indy Fugate
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 12, 2010
                              sounds like fun.. I'm in...

                              Consider this a positive reply! Logistics may need some effort but I'm willing to help there. We could have some fun with this, especially if there were a handful of people nutty enough to do a late May 24-hour run in Houston!

                              Keep us posted!
                              Charles

                              Are you talking about the laughing frogs?

                              I think the restrooms close during those hours but there are 2 or 3 port-a-potties near the tennis center for those inconvenient hours.  Otherwise no one will be out there chasing you with a stick, yelling that the park is closed.

                              Now that I mention it, it might be a good idea to have a group hide out somewhere along the loop with sticks and lie in wait to do that. It would certainly add a bit of liveliness to the graveyard crew. J

                              I think you have a really wonderful idea, but it's my understanding that the Park loop is closed between 11 pm and 5 am, during which time runners aren't allowed. I have no idea if that's enforced or not, but it's just something to check into before making the final plan. If it's not enforced then there shouldn't be any problems... just something to think about.

                              more park info: http://www.memorial parkconservancy. org/default. aspx/MenuItemID/ 195/MenuGroup/ Home+New. htm

                              Chris

                              --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups .com, Mary Ntefidou <maria_ntefidou@ ...> wrote:

                              > Runners,
                              >
                              > I want to take advantage of the Memorial Day weekend and do a 24h training run.
                              >
                              > Is there any interest to run at Memorial Park loop for a day?
                              > Start Saturday 05.29 at 5AM to Sunday 5AM.
                              > Memorial Park is more convenient than the Rice loop because of the restroom/shower facilities. On the down side it is more sun exposed and will be crowded in the morning.
                              > I will have water, gels... in the car. Loop runs are very easy to manage.
                              >
                              > I don't have a lot of hope to hear any positive replies. But before I sign up again for the Nanny Goats race in California I thought to give it a try. It's a long time to Memorial Day but I have to book flights at specific day times according to my work schedule.
                              >
                              > All the best,
                              > Mary

                            • Kate Colberg
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 12, 2010
                                Those frogs were crazy! They were laughing at us I swear!

                                Mary, I'm in for the night shift as well.

                                Kate

                              • Susan Bell (bklynsue@gmail.com)
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 12, 2010
                                  Me too! Looking forward to it!

                                  Susan Bell

                                  Sent from my iPhone

                                  sounds like fun.. I'm in...

                                • pdavidyoung@yahoo.com
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 12, 2010
                                    If I'm here I'm in. This sounds like a party!

                                    Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                                    From: "Susan Bell (bklynsue@...)" <bklynsue@...>
                                    Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 08:25:16 -0600
                                    To: h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com<h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com>

                                    Me too! Looking forward to it!

                                    Susan Bell

                                    Sent from my iPhone

                                    sounds like fun.. I'm in...

                                      From: Paige Krekeler <pkrekeler@...>Sent: Thu, February 11, 2010 4:56:25 PM

                                    • bob.i.botto@exxonmobil.com
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 12, 2010
                                        Those were so amuseing!!! We (Liz and I) thought they were hilarious!

                                        Bob

                                        Bob Botto
                                        Analytical Services Laboratory
                                        Baytown Complex Laboratory Department
                                        5000 Bayway Dr. Baytown, Tx 77520
                                        Company Mail: CORP-BSL-103
                                        Phone: 281-834-5133
                                        Pager: 281-439-1300
                                        Fax: 281-834-1775
                                        Join the ExxonMobil Corporate Track & Field Team!

                                        Jay Alvarez
                                        <jpa_1971@yaho
                                        o.com> To
                                        Sent by: h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com
                                        h_t_rex@yahoog cc
                                        roups.com
                                        Subject
                                        Re: [h_t_rex] Re: Memorial Day
                                        02/11/10 08:29 training run
                                        PM

                                        Please respond
                                        h_t_rex@yahoog
                                        roups.com

                                        wrote:

                                        > Runners,
                                        >
                                        > I want to take advantage of the Memorial Day weekend and do a 24h
                                        training run.

                                        > Is there any interest to run at Memorial Park loop for a day?
                                        > Start Saturday 05.29 at 5AM to Sunday 5AM.
                                        > Memorial Park is more convenient than the Rice loop because of the
                                        restroom/shower facilities. On the down side it is more sun exposed
                                        and will be crowded in the morning.
                                        > I will have water, gels... in the car. Loop runs are very easy to
                                        manage.

                                        > I don't have a lot of hope to hear any positive replies. But
                                        before I sign up again for the Nanny Goats race in California I
                                        thought to give it a try. It's a long time to Memorial Day but I
                                        have to book flights at specific day times according to my work
                                        schedule.

                                        > All the best,
                                        > Mary

                                      • lotsmoreshoes now
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Feb 12, 2010
                                          Mary - what a fabulous idea! if i'm in town, i'll go the final loops with you...as i've found out through the saturday trail 'walks' that my run pace is the walk pace for ya'll  :)
                                          Cheers!
                                          MyPhuong

                                          Let there be shoes!

                                          Consider this a positive reply! Logistics may need some effort but I'm willing to help there. We could have some fun with this, especially if there were a handful of people nutty enough to do a late May 24-hour run in Houston!

                                          Keep us posted!
                                          Charles

                                          Are you talking about the laughing frogs?

                                          I think the restrooms close during those hours but there are 2 or 3 port-a-potties near the tennis center for those inconvenient hours.  Otherwise no one will be out there chasing you with a stick, yelling that the park is closed.

                                          Now that I mention it, it might be a good idea to have a group hide out somewhere along the loop with sticks and lie in wait to do that. It would certainly add a bit of liveliness to the graveyard crew. J

                                          I think you have a really wonderful idea, but it's my understanding that the Park loop is closed between 11 pm and 5 am, during which time runners aren't allowed. I have no idea if that's enforced or not, but it's just something to check into before making the final plan. If it's not enforced then there shouldn't be any problems... just something to think about.

                                          more park info: http://www.memorial parkconservancy. org/default. aspx/MenuItemID/ 195/MenuGroup/ Home+New. htm

                                          Chris

                                          --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups .com, Mary Ntefidou <maria_ntefidou@ ...> wrote:

                                          > Runners,
                                          >
                                          > I want to take advantage of the Memorial Day weekend and do a 24h training run.
                                          >
                                          > Is there any interest to run at Memorial Park loop for a day?
                                          > Start Saturday 05.29 at 5AM to Sunday 5AM.
                                          > Memorial Park is more convenient than the Rice loop because of the restroom/shower facilities. On the down side it is more sun exposed and will be crowded in the morning.
                                          > I will have water, gels... in the car. Loop runs are very easy to manage.
                                          >
                                          > I don't have a lot of hope to hear any positive replies. But before I sign up again for the Nanny Goats race in California I thought to give it a try. It's a long time to Memorial Day but I have to book flights at specific day times according to my work schedule.
                                          >
                                          > All the best,
                                          > Mary

                                          Yahoo!7: Catch-up on your favourite Channel 7 TV shows easily, legally, and for free at PLUS7. Check it out.