Re: [h_t_rex] Bandera Report

  • bob.i.botto@exxonmobil.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 20, 2010
      Great story!!! Congratulations. I experienced what I believe is a type of
      pneumonia this past week - several days after finishing Bandera 50k. On
      Sunday night I tried to run and could not even jog (10-12 minute pace) for
      0.1 miles. I could not get any oxygen to my legs. It was scarey. Now I am
      fine and ran 6 miles in 53 minutes yesterday. Anybody else? I'm wondering
      if the cold dry air caused a temporary lung irritation filling them up with
      fluids and cutting off my air.

      Bob

      Bob Botto
      Analytical Services Laboratory
      Baytown Complex Laboratory Department
      5000 Bayway Dr. Baytown, Tx 77520
      Company Mail: CORP-BSL-103
      Phone: 281-834-5133
      Pager: 281-439-1300
      Fax: 281-834-1775
      Join the ExxonMobil Corporate Track & Field Team!

      Houston T-REX
      Training Group
      <h_t_rex@yahoo To
      .com> h_t_rex YahooGroup
      Sent by: <h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com>
      h_t_rex@yahoog cc
      roups.com
      Subject
      [h_t_rex] Bandera Report
      01/20/10 12:11
      PM

      Please respond
      h_t_rex@yahoog
      roups.com

      Sorry for the late reply on Bandera, but here's my longggg Race
      report from Bandera. I apologize in advance for the length.

      Last weekend Sarah and I, along with two of our running friends
      (Chauncey and Dino) headed out to Bandera, TX for the Bandera
      25k/50k/100k ultra trail run. The town of Bandera prides itself as
      the "Cowboy Capital of the World" and is located about an hour west
      of San Antonio in the Texas hill country. The Bandera ultra trail
      run is advertised as "A trail run of rugged and brutal beauty where
      everything cuts, stings and bites.' It's also considered one of the
      toughest trail races in the state. My goal was simply to finish my
      first 100k trail race (yes, that's about 62 miles) within the
      allotted time, but in the end I gained a lot more than I expected.

      Friday afternoon the four of us arrived at the Silver Sage Corral in
      the town of Bandera to pick up our race packets, listen to the trail
      briefing and enjoy the pre-race dinner. The race started the next
      day at 7:30am, so this was a good chance to mingle with other ultra
      runners, exchange stories and discuss strategies for the next day's
      run. One topic that seemed to be common was the 11 degree
      temperature predicted for the race start. That's a lot better than
      the 100+ degree weather that Bandera gets during the summer, but
      most of people here that hadn't experienced temperatures this cold.
      We decided that gloves and long running pants would work well for us
      for at least the first few hours. The conversations were great and
      the majority of people were pretty laid back. Most of all, we were
      a group of people simply looking forward to another great day in the
      outdoors on a scenic course.

      After dinner we headed to our hotel only to find that our hotel
      lacked both heat and hot water. The hotel staff was very
      accommodating given the circumstances, and gave us the option of
      staying at another hotel 30 miles away or providing us with two
      space heaters and a few extra blankets. Given the extra distance
      and time that it would take to get to the start of the race we
      decided to take the blankets and suck it up for the night.

      The race morning came way too soon, and the temperature was around
      15 degrees as expected. Hundreds of shivering runners huddled
      around each of the three race starts awaiting the official start.
      Each of the race distances actually started at different places on
      the course so this was the last that I saw of Sarah, Dino and
      Chauncey until after they finished their respective races.

      At 7:30am the races began and I tried not to think about covering 62
      miles before the end of the day. My plan was to focus on one aid
      station at a time, and only think of how many aid stations were left
      instead of how many miles I had to run. `One aid station down,
      eleven to go', just sounded so much better than 56 miles to the
      finish.

      The first 10 miles went by in a flash and it was odd how quickly I
      needed to shed my gloves and unzip my sweatshirt, while at the same
      time my water bottle bite valve continued to ice over every few
      minutes. A little while later I heard music blaring from the next
      aide station and as I rolled in volunteers flocked to see what I
      needed… refill your water bottle, grilled cheese sandwich, candy?
      The volunteers at each of the aid stations were really awesome and
      made sure that each runner got what they needed before heading out
      to the next aid station. I decided to start eating real food (half
      of a grilled cheese sandwich in this case) and planned to continue
      eating real food every 5-6 miles for the rest of the day. This
      worked really well for me and as a result I was able to keep up my
      energy for most of the day.

      At the same time that I was leaving my third aid station, Sarah had
      just slipped on Bandera's rugged and unforgiving course, where she
      broke her nose and picked up a few additional scrapes and bruises.
      After a few moments she simply brushed herself off and continued
      running the remaining 20+ miles to finish her 3rd 50km trail race.
      She's a pretty tough girl and I'm glad that she's my wife! I didn't
      find out that she fell until well into my second lap, but I did
      wonder how everyone was doing as the morning went on. After
      crossing the 25k mark I also thought how Chauncey would soon be
      finishing his 25k race.

      For the remainder of the morning I ran with a few small groups of
      people as the runners quickly thinned out. Trail runners are great
      for conversing on the trail and I was able to share stories of
      running Mt. Si and Tiger Mountain, WA with someone who traveled from
      Seattle, WA, and about Michigan's Toyota Great Lakes Relay with
      someone from Detroit. Before I knew it, I had come to the halfway
      point and I was way ahead of schedule. I planned on doing my first
      50k in around 7hrs, but came in under 6hrs. Seeing that I had time
      to spare, I decided to relax change socks and shirts and grab some
      food before tackling the next 50k. And boy did that feel great! I
      knew that the run was far from over and wanted to make sure I was
      ready for whatever it had in store for me. About 5 minutes later I
      rolled out of the aid station and hoped I could stay injury free and
      finish the last 50k before midnight. The race cutoff was actually
      7:30am, but I wanted to finish somewhere between 10 and 11pm.

      A little while later I thought of Dino and Sarah as they were
      finishing their 50k and heading back to the hotel to see if we had
      any hot water. Later I would find out that our hotel still didn't
      have hot water, but they were all able to use another room that did
      have hot water. It's amazing how you start to appreciate the simple
      things when you don't have them.

      Finally nightfall arrived and the temperature began to retreat from
      the mid 40s back into the 30s. I was still slightly ahead of
      schedule, but knew that the remaining 15+ miles that I had to
      complete would be tough. By now the heard had thinned out
      sufficiently such that it was normal to spend up to 30 minutes on
      the trail without seeing anyone. Night also made navigating rocks
      and hills more difficult. Without someone to follow, there were
      several times that I wasn't sure if I was still on the right trail.
      Thank goodness I didn't get lost in the middle of nowhere at night,
      especially when I was starting to get cold!

      As I came into the Cross-Roads aid station at mile 52.8, I briefly
      reflected on the fact that I had just completed 2 marathons on rough
      trails. I had already covered a lot of ground, but I still had 10
      more miles comprising the toughest hills of the course before
      reaching the finish line. Another surprise awaited me at this aid
      station. Sarah, Dino and Chauncey had finished their races hours
      before, gone back to the hotel to get showers, and were now waiting
      for me at this aid station. It was great to see everyone and hear
      that they all finished. I was in a groove, a bit tired and
      apparently a little absent minded. As I started leaving the aid
      station, someone asked if I noticed Sarah's bloody nose and
      forehead. Unfortunately I actually hadn't, and simply asked her if
      she fell and then said I need to get going. Later I felt a little
      bad for not noticing and asked more at the next aid station. Other
      than that I was determined and focused solely on finishing the race,
      so off I went.

      The last 10 miles were filled with hills, rocks and lot's of
      darkness. My led headlight helped a lot, but there were still times
      when I wasn't sure if I was on the right trail. Thankfully I caught
      up to another runner that was doing the 100k for the 5th time and he
      seemed to know the course like the back of his hand. That lasted
      for about 20 minutes, until we started the last descent and I began
      to pick up speed. Finally I pulled away from the other runner and
      jogged the last mile or two to the finish, where Sarah, Dino and
      Chauncey were waiting. The Race Director (Joe) was also at the
      finish line where he handed me my first 100k finishers Belt Buckle.
      It was a long and rewarding day for me as I finished in 14:15:53.
      Less than half of the starters would finish before midnight and
      about 25% of the people that started would not finish the race at
      all. I felt relatively good overall and had a huge sense of
      accomplishment knowing that I had finished something that few
      runners dream of – a 100k race on a tough course! The next step is
      attempting the Rocky Raccoon 100 mile Trail Run at the beginning of
      February. Wish me luck, I'll need it!

      "There is another type of strength. It is being able to extend your
      energy for a very long distance." - David LaPierre

      --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Kapraun <cmkapraun@...>
      wrote:

      > Tap...tap...tap...
      > Where are the reports?
      > ...or are everyone's fingers still thawing?
      >
      > ...ChrisK
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Christopher Kapraun
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 20, 2010
        Whoa...and I thought I had a low coffee moment.
        I am definitely not weening off caffeine...it's just better for everyone around me.

        The last time I was at Bandera I was pacing Richard L. in '06.

        Congrats Adam.

        ...ChrisK

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 20, 2010
           Great report and excellent job on your race. I believe somewhere about mile 19 I met up with your wife. We exchanged hellos and discussed the course and where we were from. I thought it was funny that one of the few people I talked to was from Houston also. Definetly a tough girl, she continued the to finish race injured well ahead of me. Tell her great job as well!

          Jay

          From: lynnor matheney <lillamb1997@...>
          To: h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Wednesday, January 20, 2010, 12:30 PM

          Way to go Chris. I heard about Sarah's fall too. I don't think I ever saw her though. I hope her nose healed okay? (I don't think we've met, but I heard about her poor nose quite a few times and that she kept going) And don't kick yourself too much, lol, my husband wouldn't notice a big honking bandage on my nose either, but if other body parts change, he definitely notices!!!

          Our cabin didn't have any running water the first night. There was 8 in our party and those who did 25 or 50 km's were able to get hot showers that afternoon/evening but by the time our 100 k runner arrived, there was no hot water. We did have heat ..

          I wrenched my ankle pretty good about 5 miles in, something I never do..that was a race that won't be forgotten. I stopped after 50 km's, I have asthma, not sure if it is exercise induced, cold air induced or both, but I was wheezing quite a bit. Oh well. Still, a blast.

          Maybe see you guys at RR? I'll be at the T rex aid station 6-noon that Sun, if you come through, say hi!!

          Lynnor Matheney

        • Jay Alvarez
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 20, 2010
            Hey Bob,

            I experienced something similar in regard to fluid in the lungs. For several days after the race I would weeze any time I would breathe in deep or if I went out for a run. Finally all is good and seem to be back to normal again.

            Jay

          • bob.i.botto@exxonmobil.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 20, 2010
              Guess I'm not alone then. Good to know.

              Bob

              Bob Botto
              Analytical Services Laboratory
              Baytown Complex Laboratory Department
              5000 Bayway Dr. Baytown, Tx 77520
              Company Mail: CORP-BSL-103
              Phone: 281-834-5133
              Pager: 281-439-1300
              Fax: 281-834-1775
              Join the ExxonMobil Corporate Track & Field Team!

              Jay Alvarez
              <jpa_1971@yaho
              o.com> To
              Sent by: h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com
              h_t_rex@yahoog cc
              roups.com
              Subject
              Re: [h_t_rex] Bandera Report
              01/20/10 01:58
              PM

              Please respond
              h_t_rex@yahoog
              roups.com

              From: bob.i.botto@... <bob.i.botto@...>
              To: h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Wednesday, January 20, 2010, 1:19 PM

[...]

              ..>

            • bklynsue@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 20, 2010

                I usually experience wheezing when doing Bandera and fluids in the lungs for a few days. Usually, I can’t sleep after the race because I’m wheezing so loud. I think it is the combination of high cedar pollen and cold air.

              • bob.i.botto@exxonmobil.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 20, 2010
                  Yes very likely it is. It did not help me that I was also staying with my
                  daughter and she has 3 cats I'm allergic to.

                  Bob

                  Bob Botto
                  Analytical Services Laboratory
                  Baytown Complex Laboratory Department
                  5000 Bayway Dr. Baytown, Tx 77520
                  Company Mail: CORP-BSL-103
                  Phone: 281-834-5133
                  Pager: 281-439-1300
                  Fax: 281-834-1775
                  Join the ExxonMobil Corporate Track & Field Team!

                  <bklynsue@gmai
                  l.com>
                  Sent by: To
                  h_t_rex@yahoog <h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com>
                  roups.com cc

                  Subject
                  01/20/10 02:33 RE: [h_t_rex] Bandera Report
                  PM

                  Please respond
                  h_t_rex@yahoog
                  roups.com

                  From: bob.i.botto@... <bob.i.botto@...>
                  To: h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Wednesday, January 20, 2010, 1:19 PM

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 20, 2010

                    It takes me 2-3 days to wheeze it off after a Bandera event too. I ran the Houston half marathon with my kids, this past Sunday, no wheezing, but geez, the pavement pounding over a short distance really took a surprising toll on my legs. Today is the first day I've been able to walk normally w/o wincing.

                    Lynnor Matheney
                  • Korona, Adam
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 21, 2010

                      Thanks for all of the great comments.  Bandera rocked!

                      Hopefully I’ll see all of you at Rocky in a few weeks.  Right now I’m still recovering from Bandera and hoping I’ll be ready to complete my first 100 Miler!

                      Enjoy,

                      Adam