Rocky Hill Ranch

  • Prusaitis Joe-rpec50
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 1, 2007
      Rocky Hill Ranch has just opened OnLine Registration.
      Sunday April 15, 50mi, 50km, 25km

      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 3, 2007
        Hi,

        I was wondering if any of you on this list are going
        to this race? Michelle? Do you take I 10 to 71 or is
        there a more direct way from the Woodlands that I
        don't see on the map? Do any of you camp? What is
        lodging like in town? Also didn't see a deadline for
        registration..

        Lynnor Matheney
        The Woodlands
      • Kathryn Vidal
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 5, 2007
          You can also get there via 290 and then cut over to 71 (don't remember the
          highway number but it goes through Round Top) and then in Lagrange go
          towards Bastrop. If you don't want to camp, there's a couple of motels in
          Bastrop - Best Western and a Holiday Inn Express - that are serviceable and
          clean, and only about 15 minutes from the Rocky Hill Ranch start line. Last
          time I was there in 2005 they had an indoor shower with hot water, which was
          great since that can be a muddy race. Have fun.

          >From: lynnor matheney <lillamb1997@...>
          >To: h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [h_t_rex] Rocky Hill Ranch
          >Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 01:57:51 +0000 (GMT)
          >

          >Hi,
          >
          >I was wondering if any of you on this list are going
          >to this race? Michelle? Do you take I 10 to 71 or is
          >there a more direct way from the Woodlands that I
          >don't see on the map? Do any of you camp? What is
          >lodging like in town? Also didn't see a deadline for
          >registration..
          >
          >Lynnor Matheney
          >The Woodlands
        • Prusaitis Joe-rpec50
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 5, 2007
            The salloon is shut down. I assume the showers are as well.
            joe

            matheney <lillamb1997@ yahoo.co. uk>
            h_t_rex@yahoogroups .com
            Re: [h_t_rex] Rocky Hill Ranch
            >Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 01:57:51 +0000
            (GMT)

            >Hi,
            >
            >I was wondering if any of you on
            this list are going
            >to this race? Michelle? Do you take I 10 to 71 or
            is
            >there a more direct way from the Woodlands that I
            >don't see on
            the map? Do any of you camp? What is
            >lodging like in town? Also didn't
            see a deadline for
            >registration. .
            >
            >Lynnor
            Matheney
            >The Woodlands

          • Christopher Kapraun
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 5, 2007
              If the facilities are really closed and you have to have a shower
              before getting too far, you can always stop at Buescher State
              Park. It's around FM153 and 71.(Assuming you have a park pass or
              want to pay the entry fee for a shower) Actually, the campsites
              there are fairly nice also. Maybe a little quieter for camping than
              Bastrop. You have tent pads there to set up on.

              I never really thought of camping at RHR. I'm sure there are a
              couple of grassy halfway flat spots around the saloon. Probably kinda
              like the spots around the start in Bandera.

              I'm thinking about doing the 25K. I'm doing the MS150 so probably no
              50K there this year and I can't imagine going up Fat Chuck Dimise a
              third time if that's the way they route you for the 50M

              I'm coming from south of Houston, so no help with directions up there.
              Oh, watch for deer if you're driving there in the wee hours in the
              morning. Saw one not far off I10 on 71 last year before the
              race....woke the carpoolers up when I gently tapped the brakes.

              ...CK

              --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, "Prusaitis Joe-rpec50"
              <joe.prusaitis@...> wrote:

              > The salloon is shut down. I assume the showers are as well.
              > joe
              >

              > ________________________________

              Behalf

              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 6, 2007
                Thankyou to those who responded with info about the
                Rocky Hill Ranch race.
                I am going to the Grand Canyon Friday, will be back on
                the 18th.

                Lynnor Matheney
                The Woodlands
              • Karen andor Richard
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 8, 2008
                  So who all is doing Rocky Hill Ranch this year, and what distance?

                  I'm getting withdrwal symptons with the frosty mornings and all the
                  snow that continues to fall periodically fall, so any race reports
                  would be a welcome read too :-)
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 8, 2008
                    Snow, Richard? You haven't been stuck on the A 3 or
                    the M 25 all night have you?

                    I'm doing the 50 k at Rocky Hill and anybody from
                    Houston who wants to swing by The Woodlands early
                    Saturday morning and pick me up is welcome. :-) (just
                    kidding) I wish I could carpool with somebody though.

                    Lynnor Matheney
                  • Elizabeth Crowe

                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 8, 2008
                        Richard,

                        What do you mean by getting withdrawal symptoms? You miss the hot humid conditions while running on snow or you use snow as an excuse not to run? If it is the second one then you need more layers of clothing, otherwise there is always the treadmill as an alternative. While in Germany I never run on a treadmill but I knew runners who would prepare on a treadmill all winter long and raced without any problems in the summer. Of course it takes a lot more discipline to train on treadmill, but I don't think more than to run 100 miles.

                        At Rocky hill I will attempt the 50 mi but I am not confident that I will see the finish line, and I will send you a report. In exchange here is a link to a list of ultras in Europe http://statistik.d-u-v.org/calendar.php. So please, we want a race report from you in the near future. Or you could come back and join us :-) Let me know if you want more info about European races. I

                        Mary

                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 8, 2008

                          I knew it was a mistake posting my comments :)  Withdrawals is because I really want to get out and do some running, but have had little opportunity; and yes you could say it's a question of priorities.  Last weekend we had a 515 mile run, but by car, collecting various items for the house, which thankfully now has the major items in it - 2 beds (king and double), dining table/chairs, couch , TV, silverware, crockery, alarm clock, cork-screw... it really is amazing when starting out from scratch again what's needed that we just took for granted!  But we're now open for guests!!!

                          From the web-site posted you posted Mary, two runs stand-out...   aussie race   and our old friend Sunmart 50k - talk about opposites.

                          In reality, I'll probably end up looking for trail races upto 50k in the UK.  But yes watch out for run / race reports from me, eventually... meanwhile I'll read yours hopefully :-)

                          Good Luck to everyion doing Rocky; try not to overheat...

                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 17, 2009
                              Good luck to all those running the Rocky Hill Ranch run on Saturday; make sure you don't get washed away in the flash floods or fast flowing streams - at least not without your water wings. Be careful, but enjoy :)
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 18, 2009
                                RHR cancelled.  Too much lightning.  Bummer.  Will drink beer regardless.

                                Sent from my iPhone

                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 18, 2009
                                  What a bummer indeed - all that way just for beer, hope you're not driving home! Maybe you can run there later
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 18, 2009
                                    Drinking, driving, and emailing all at once...

                                    Sent from my iPhone

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 18, 2009
                                      Bummer indeed.
                                      We were ready to go, but understand the severity of the situation. Hopefully Joe will reschedule.