hill work

  • Indy Fugate
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 7, 2009
      Where are the best places in Houston to get a decent hill workout, training for the  Chevron

      Thanks a Million,

      jay

    • bob.i.botto@exxonmobil.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 7, 2009
        There are no hills in the Chevron. There are no hills in Houston! Most
        runners choose to do bridge repeats or stadium steps. My opinion: The
        stairstepper at your local gym is the best place to get a hill workout. You
        can climb at any pace for any length of time. If you want to run up and
        down SHORT hills the sides of the Bayou trail near Shepherd and Memorial
        will work. For serious hills go to Bandera, Tx January 9th for the 50k or
        100k.

        Bob

        Bob Botto
        Analytical Services Laboratory
        Baytown Complex Laboratory Department
        5000 Bayway Dr. Baytown, Tx 77520
        Company Mail: CORP-BSL-103
        Phone: 281-834-5133
        Pager: 281-439-1300
        Fax: 281-834-1775
        Join the ExxonMobil Corporate Track & Field Team!

        Indy Fugate
        <indyfugate@ya
        hoo.com> To
        Sent by: h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com
        h_t_rex@yahoog cc
        roups.com
        Subject
        [h_t_rex] hill work
        12/07/09 02:41
        PM

        Please respond
        h_t_rex@yahoog
        roups.com

        Where are the best places in Houston to get a decent hill workout,
        training for the Chevron

        Thanks a Million,

        jay
      • Christopher Kapraun
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 7, 2009
          Memorial and Allen "feel" like they have hills...since they come past 20 miles if you've been training on flats.

          I assume you're talking about the stairmill (instead of the stairstepper)...basically the infinitely long rotating staircase.
          My personal favorit is setting it to "Fat Burner" and work for not having to hold on for dear life or being able to work up the level.
          24 hase some treadmills that go beyond 12% grade also.

          Outside of the gym, parking garages, and stadiums along the bayou is probably the best bet, along Memorial between the park and downtown or farther west along Terry Hershey trail.

          If you've been running HCM, the small bit of rises should make the rollers on Memorial and Allen a non-issue.

          (Wishing I could enter Bandera....maybe I'll make it out for Hells Hills/Rocky Hill Ranch next year.)

          ...ChrisK

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 7, 2009
            I appreciate the info.. i think i will choose the hills at Memorial and Shepard thats the kind of info i was looking for.Yes you are so right about no hills in the Chevron, I was just wanting to build up quad strength for endurance....

            thanks,
            indy

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 7, 2009
                thx... i never thought about parking garages...