Sinister 7

  • Paige Krekeler
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 6, 2009

      You’ve heard me talking about it enough and now I need some opinions from the peanut gallery…

      I’m currently assigned leg 2 because the captain thought I would have a nice view for pictures. Apparently my emailed reply of “woo hoo…only 16k, that rocks!” was construed as a complaint rather than excitement so he said I could run the 5th leg if I wanted.  Which do I choose? leg 2 or leg 5.

      Here are the course descriptions.

      My main concern is bears; I realize it is probably unreasonable to worry about them but this is foreign to me and I’m not sure how many there are (or how far apart I will be to the next runner).

      Bears will most likely be sleeping during the 5th leg. I’m guessing leg 5 has the crazy rating because it is at night.

      Here are the descriptions copied from the website (www.sinister7.com)

      Leg 2 - Hastings Ridge

      Distance:

      16km

      Elevation Gain:

      847m

      Elevation Loss:

      1,020m

      Difficulty:

      4/5

      Trail Type:

      Single track, ATV trail, gravel road

      Estimated Time:

      1.5 to 3 hours

      Must start by:

      10:00 hrs (Saturday)

      Cutoff:

      13:00 hrs (Saturday)

      Beginning at the base of Hastings Ridge, runners begin a grueling climb to a rewarding view. Once atop the ridge, you get a view of the entire valley, including Crowsnest Mountain and the Seven Sisters; certainly worth the punishing climb to the top! There is no time for rest as runners drop down the other side and head towards Blairmore to the finish of leg two.

      Leg 5 - The Seven Sisters

      Distance:

      22.7km

      Elevation Gain:

      1,022m

      Elevation Loss:

      657m

      Difficulty:

      6/5

      Trail Type:

      Single track, ATV trail, high alpine

      Estimated Time:

      3 to 5 hours

      Must start by:

      01:00 hrs (Sunday)

      Cutoff:

      06:00 hrs (Sunday)

      This leg tries even the toughest of racers. Running north on what could be the wettest and dirtiest trails in Canada, runners make their way to the evil climb across Seven Sisters Mountain. While catching your breath, don't forget to check out some of the larger mountains in the area; Crowsnest to the south as well as Tornado, Window, and Gould Dome to the north.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 6, 2009
        What sort of question is that?  Leg 5, obviously.

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Jun 6, 2009, at 9:38 AM, "Paige Krekeler" <pkrekeler@...> wrote:

[...]

        #attach-count { clear: both; padding: 15px 0 3px 0; overflow: hidden; }#ygrp-msg p#attach-count span { color: #1E66AE; font-weight: bold; }div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; font-weight: normal; }#ygrp-msg p a { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; }#ygrp-mlmsg a { color: #1E66AE; }div.attach-table div div a { text-decoration: none; }div.attach-table { width: 400px; }-->-->
      • Leslie Hale
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 6, 2009
          One question I might ask you is whether you would like to run more uphill or downhill-I know it seems like a silly question, but that appears to be one big difference in those 2 legs.  The 5th leg will also be in the dark; would you have opportunities to see the course other than running it?  That might answer part of the question for you, unless the time spent shuttling members of the team allows views of the course since so much time is spent inside the van (except for the runner).

          On the other hand, would be cool to actually climb/cross Seven Sisters.  It's a longer leg and provide more bang for your buck since you are making this trip specifically to do this race.  Who needs sleep-you can do that when you get back to Houston!!

          There's my 2-cents worth...from one of the peanuts!!