Re: [h_t_rex] Memorial Park Trail Maintenance...FYI

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5 7:13 AM
      Thanks for the info.  Would be really nice if this included Renegade, but I suspect it doesn't.

      On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 8:48 AM, Michelle <mwolpert2002@...> wrote:

      I received this email yesterday, just thought you'all would like to
      know:

      Dear Neighbors and Friends of Memorial Park:

      In a cooperative effort involving Houston Parks & Recreation
      Department&#700;s Urban Forestry Division, the Mayor&#700;s Office, and FEMA,
      COH Solid Waste Management has contracted additional help in removing
      Hurricane Ike debris from Memorial Park. Over the next three weeks,
      in cooperation with and oversighted by COH, contract landscaping and
      tree/brush removal firms, R&E Enterprises ( Pearl River , Louisiana )
      and BDR ( Orlando , Florida ) will be cutting fallen trees and
      removing them from trails in the park. Priorities of work include (in
      the following order): Seymour-Leiberman Exer-Trail, Mountainbiking
      Trails, Picnic Loop Lane , the Old Archery Range and Hogg Bird
      Sanctuary.

      We would appreciate your sharing this message with your friends and
      neighbors so that all concerned will be informed. As always, we wish
      to ease the difficult work of clearing trails for all of our users.
      Please allow those who are licensed and responsible, the time and
      space to do their removal work.

      If you have further questions regarding this work, please contact
      Victor Cordova , HPARD Urban Forestry or me, at 713-863-8403.

      Thank you, as always, for your support of Memorial Park Conservancy.

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5 9:35 AM
        BTW - The Old Archery range is actually our Area 51 trails!!
        We (Kevin O., Denise, Miles? or Larry? & I) visited these trails just
        before the hurricane and they were in dire need of maintenance.
        Too afraid to visit after Ike. Hopefully the tree clearing will help
        and we can start going back.

        As for Renegade - the Trail stewards are aware that these back trails
        need clearing too. I have a feeling we will see them cleared.

        'Priorities of work include (in the following order): Seymour-
        Leiberman Exer-Trail, Mountainbiking Trails, Picnic Loop Lane , the Old
        Archery Range and Hogg Bird Sanctuary.'
      • Michelle
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5 10:23 AM
          Mariela, where is Area 51 in relation to Blair Witch Project, or 610,
          for that matter? Also, any idea on where the Hogg Bird Sanctuary is?
          Personally, I run the Seymour-Exer trail every day, and there's no
          additional trail mtn needed as far as I can tell...so don't quite know
          why that's at the top of the list.

          Michelle

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 6 6:12 AM

            Hogg Bird Sanctuary - scroll to bottom of this page.
            http://www.houstontx.gov/parks/memorialpark.html

            Area 51 (aka Old Archery Range) is located on the other side of 610. We stopped going when they started to widen 610...and now the trails are overgrown and in places non existent. I think the city's plan is to open it as a canoe launch for Buffalo Bayou amd it will have a trail system.
            When? Who knows.