Re: [h_t_rex] DNF's

  • Kevin Walker
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 7, 2009
      1st Sunmart 50 Mile missed cutoff by 30 minutes. Took off my number
      and did the last loop. I realize now that was not cool.

      2nd Sunmart 50 Mile missed cutoff by 15 minutes.

      3rd Sunmart 50 Mile missed cutoff by 2 minutes.

      4th Sunmart 50 Mile. What Richard said.

      Rocky Raccoon 100 Mile. Had stomach flu for a week before the run.
      Made it 37 miles. Detouring off trail each of the last 5 miles pushed
      my normally slow pace well below the cutoff pace.
    • runskeeter
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 7, 2009
        Frequent lurker, infrequent poster....

        1.  Ink's Lake 50 Miler (2004) - Underestimated course...finished 42 miles, then bailed out voluntarily as I had to be on a 6am flight from Houston to Washington DC the next morning.  Could have finished, no doubt.

        2.  Bandera 100K (2004) - First 100K attempt and I was psyched!  But, I ate something bad on Friday and spent all night behind rocks and trees outside the tent squatting.  Started the race dehydrated and spiraled downhill from there.  Dropped at the 50K mark after over 8 hrs.

        3.  Bighorn 100M (2007) - Pretty good race to the 50K mark, then began the slow 9 mile uphill grunt to the ranger station.  Hooked my wagon with a friend who was struggling badly and I vowed not to leave him...it was cold and very muddy...could have been dangerous for him.  Could never make up the time getting back to the 62 mile cutoff and was pulled.

        4.  Headlands 100M (2007) - OK race through 50 miles, but grunted through the next 25.  This flatlander had no downhill legs for another 25 miles, though I would have only had to average average 2.5 mph.  Couldn't get the mind to carry the body on that one.  This one still burns me deeply.....

        Certainly Headlands is the most disappointing because I really pulled out under my own accord without having to.  With Rocky Trails, I knew I could've finished, just made a stupid mistake and underestimated the course and time.  Bandera I was sick and Bighorn made a choice of a friend's safety versus my own goal.

        Here's to a successful (no DNF) 2009!

        Stuart Skeeter
        Houston, TX
      • Erik Moortgat
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
          I'll write about by DNF's later but I wanted to chime in to Lynnor. I
          would wear a pair of shoes that have great traction on rocks. I love
          my Montrail Vitesses but they suck on slippery rocks so I won't wear
          them. For last year's Cactus Rose I wore my Montrail Streak's for the
          first 50 miles and love them. The bottom of my feet became a bit sore
          due to minimal protection in that area so I switched to my HardRocks
          for the second 50. Quite a difference. I will be wearing my Streak's
          again for the 50k. I wouldn't recommend the Streak's for a full 100k,
          something a little beafier. Just make sure that your treads are good
          (for the rocks), whatever you decide.
          Going to be an interesting race for me. I just returned last night
          from Singapore and the last time I ran on a trail was Cactus Rose...a
          week later I was on a plane to Asia.
          Moogy
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
            I have Montrail Hardrocks and Asic Trail Attacks. I
            think the Hardrocks must run small b/c I have to wear
            thin socks with those and they drive me nuts after
            about 20 miles..The Trail Attacks have served me well
            but not much padding to that shoe..may tape my feet
            and wear thicker socks with those. There's no trail
            shoe store around here, so new trail shoes will have
            to wait. I won't show up in road shoes..

            Last night I dreamed about wild pigs, sotol, rain and
            snakes..

            Looking forward to it.. Thankyou for your comments
            Moogy. At least the jet lag coming back isn't as bad
            for you hopefully?

            Lynnor Matheney

          • bob.i.botto@exxonmobil.com
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
              All and Lynnor especially please bring plenty of warm clothes! A cold front
              is due in Friday night. Friday will be warm and very disceptive if you
              don't know. Overnight it's supposed to cool off and the wind come in from
              the north. Saturday will be very windy (gusts to 35 mph) during the day
              with a high of about 59. Saturday night it will calm down a bit but there
              will be a breeze all night and temperature will go down to 30 and it will
              be dry too (please Lynnor stay warm!).

              See you all out there!

              Bob

              Bob Botto
              Analytical Services Laboratory
              Baytown Complex Laboratory Department
              5000 Bayway Dr. Baytown, Tx 77520
              Company Mail: CORP-BSL-103
              Phone: 281-834-5133
              Pager: 281-439-1300
              Fax: 281-834-1775
              Join the ExxonMobil Corporate Track & Field Team!

              lynnor
              matheney
              <lillamb1997@y To
              ahoo.co.uk> h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com
              Sent by: cc
              h_t_rex@yahoog
              roups.com Subject
              Re: [h_t_rex] Re: shoes at Bandera

              01/08/09 08:34
              AM

              Please respond
              h_t_rex@yahoog
              roups.com

              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                --- bob.i.botto@... wrote:

                > All and Lynnor especially please bring plenty of
                > warm clothes!

                Hey Bob,

                Thanks for reminding me,,lol, I have to go pick up my
                prescription inaler. ha!

                Lynnor
              • bob.i.botto@exxonmobil.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                  I'm just concerned about you Lynnor. Weather .com has temp going down to 26
                  and wind 10-15 mph all night. That's a wind chill in the teens. Rugged!!!!

                  Bob

                  Bob Botto
                  Analytical Services Laboratory
                  Baytown Complex Laboratory Department
                  5000 Bayway Dr. Baytown, Tx 77520
                  Company Mail: CORP-BSL-103
                  Phone: 281-834-5133
                  Pager: 281-439-1300
                  Fax: 281-834-1775
                  Join the ExxonMobil Corporate Track & Field Team!

                  lynnor
                  matheney
                  <lillamb1997@y To
                  ahoo.co.uk> h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com
                  Sent by: cc
                  h_t_rex@yahoog
                  roups.com Subject
                  Re: [h_t_rex] Re: shoes at Bandera

                  01/08/09 09:08
                  AM

                  Please respond
                  h_t_rex@yahoog
                  roups.com

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                    I'm really hoping I don't take all night to finish!!
                    But yeah I have a lotta clothes this time.

                    ;-) Lynnor
                  • bob.i.botto@exxonmobil.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                      Great Lynnor! Yeh you should finish around midnight. I won't worry.

                      Bob

                      Bob Botto
                      Analytical Services Laboratory
                      Baytown Complex Laboratory Department
                      5000 Bayway Dr. Baytown, Tx 77520
                      Company Mail: CORP-BSL-103
                      Phone: 281-834-5133
                      Pager: 281-439-1300
                      Fax: 281-834-1775
                      Join the ExxonMobil Corporate Track & Field Team!

                      lynnor
                      matheney
                      <lillamb1997@y To
                      ahoo.co.uk> h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com
                      Sent by: cc
                      h_t_rex@yahoog
                      roups.com Subject
                      Re: [h_t_rex] Re: shoes at Bandera

                      01/08/09 09:20
                      AM

                      Please respond
                      h_t_rex@yahoog
                      roups.com

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                        Moogy, you don't need to train for the 50K.  You ran three (and change) 50K's out there in November.  This will be a walk in the park.  Good luck!

                        And Lynnor, as for shoes, I've decided to go with a pretty new pair of Trail Attacks and have my beefy shoes back at the Lodge in case the Attacks aren't up to it after a loop.

                        Miles

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                          Dimmit!
                          I know I'm just being whiny, but I'm really tired of warm then cold then warm then cold weather! I'm definitely a warm/hot weather runner and a day like TODAY would have served me very well Saturday. I look so bad in tights...
                          Grumble, grumble, grumble.

                          BTW, on a happier note, Abby and I have been cranking out chocolate chip cookies for everyone at Bandera - even gluten-free ones!  And they are all quite yummy if I say so myself.
                           Be sure to come get some before the spectathletes eat them all on the sidelines...

                          --- Erik Moortgat <emoortgat@mac. com> wrote:

                          > I'll write about by DNF's later but I wanted to
                          > chime in to Lynnor. I
                          > would wear a pair of shoes that have great traction
                          > on rocks. I love
                          > my Montrail Vitesses but they suck on slippery rocks
                          > so I won't wear
                          > them. For last year's Cactus Rose I wore my Montrail
                          > Streak's for the
                          > first 50 miles and love them. The bottom of my feet
                          > became a bit sore
                          > due to minimal protection in that area so I switched
                          > to my HardRocks
                          > for the second 50. Quite a difference. I will be
                          > wearing my Streak's
                          > again for the 50k. I wouldn't recommend the Streak's
                          > for a full 100k,
                          > something a little beafier. Just make sure that your
                          > treads are good
                          > (for the rocks), whatever you decide.
                          > Going to be an interesting race for me. I just
                          > returned last night
                          > from Singapore and the last time I ran on a trail
                          > was Cactus Rose...a
                          > week later I was on a plane to Asia.
                          > Moogy

                        • Miles

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                              > I look so bad in tights...
                              > > Grumble, grumble, grumble.

                              Yes yes..In the interest of warmth I'm not going to
                              think about it..besides if I show up in shorts Bob
                              Botto will be right behind me nagging the whole way..

                              Lynnor
                            • bob.i.botto@exxonmobil.com
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                                You better believe it and maybe you better double layer them in the night
                                hours. See you tomorrow!

                                Bob

                                Bob Botto
                                Analytical Services Laboratory
                                Baytown Complex Laboratory Department
                                5000 Bayway Dr. Baytown, Tx 77520
                                Company Mail: CORP-BSL-103
                                Phone: 281-834-5133
                                Pager: 281-439-1300
                                Fax: 281-834-1775
                                Join the ExxonMobil Corporate Track & Field Team!

                                lynnor
                                matheney
                                <lillamb1997@y To
                                ahoo.co.uk> h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com