Re: DNF's

    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 7, 2009
      (1)Rocky Raccoon 100M (2004) – NDF @ 72.9m. My first 100M attempt and I
      was woefully over my head. I thought I knew what I was doing…not! This
      was my 1st 100M attempt with Western States looming in June 2004. After
      this fiasco I was ready to drop out of WS100, thinking `How can I ever
      finish WS100 when I can't even finish RR100???' I decided to keep
      training, go to the Training Camp and give it a try. I finished WS100
      feeling great and it was a total 180 degree experience compared to
      Rocky. I have never attempted Rocky again.

      (2)Sunmart 50M (2007) – What Richard said!

      (3)Jemez Mountain 50M (2008) – pulled off the course @ 36.2m after
      missing the cut-off by 15 minutes. I'm going back to get my revenge on
      that course!
    • Kevin Walker
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 7, 2009
        1st Sunmart 50 Mile missed cutoff by 30 minutes. Took off my number
        and did the last loop. I realize now that was not cool.

        2nd Sunmart 50 Mile missed cutoff by 15 minutes.

        3rd Sunmart 50 Mile missed cutoff by 2 minutes.

        4th Sunmart 50 Mile. What Richard said.

        Rocky Raccoon 100 Mile. Had stomach flu for a week before the run.
        Made it 37 miles. Detouring off trail each of the last 5 miles pushed
        my normally slow pace well below the cutoff pace.
      • runskeeter
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 7, 2009
          Frequent lurker, infrequent poster....

          1.  Ink's Lake 50 Miler (2004) - Underestimated course...finished 42 miles, then bailed out voluntarily as I had to be on a 6am flight from Houston to Washington DC the next morning.  Could have finished, no doubt.

          2.  Bandera 100K (2004) - First 100K attempt and I was psyched!  But, I ate something bad on Friday and spent all night behind rocks and trees outside the tent squatting.  Started the race dehydrated and spiraled downhill from there.  Dropped at the 50K mark after over 8 hrs.

          3.  Bighorn 100M (2007) - Pretty good race to the 50K mark, then began the slow 9 mile uphill grunt to the ranger station.  Hooked my wagon with a friend who was struggling badly and I vowed not to leave him...it was cold and very muddy...could have been dangerous for him.  Could never make up the time getting back to the 62 mile cutoff and was pulled.

          4.  Headlands 100M (2007) - OK race through 50 miles, but grunted through the next 25.  This flatlander had no downhill legs for another 25 miles, though I would have only had to average average 2.5 mph.  Couldn't get the mind to carry the body on that one.  This one still burns me deeply.....

          Certainly Headlands is the most disappointing because I really pulled out under my own accord without having to.  With Rocky Trails, I knew I could've finished, just made a stupid mistake and underestimated the course and time.  Bandera I was sick and Bighorn made a choice of a friend's safety versus my own goal.

          Here's to a successful (no DNF) 2009!

          Stuart Skeeter
          Houston, TX
        • Erik Moortgat
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
            I'll write about by DNF's later but I wanted to chime in to Lynnor. I
            would wear a pair of shoes that have great traction on rocks. I love
            my Montrail Vitesses but they suck on slippery rocks so I won't wear
            them. For last year's Cactus Rose I wore my Montrail Streak's for the
            first 50 miles and love them. The bottom of my feet became a bit sore
            due to minimal protection in that area so I switched to my HardRocks
            for the second 50. Quite a difference. I will be wearing my Streak's
            again for the 50k. I wouldn't recommend the Streak's for a full 100k,
            something a little beafier. Just make sure that your treads are good
            (for the rocks), whatever you decide.
            Going to be an interesting race for me. I just returned last night
            from Singapore and the last time I ran on a trail was Cactus Rose...a
            week later I was on a plane to Asia.
            Moogy
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
              I have Montrail Hardrocks and Asic Trail Attacks. I
              think the Hardrocks must run small b/c I have to wear
              thin socks with those and they drive me nuts after
              about 20 miles..The Trail Attacks have served me well
              but not much padding to that shoe..may tape my feet
              and wear thicker socks with those. There's no trail
              shoe store around here, so new trail shoes will have
              to wait. I won't show up in road shoes..

              Last night I dreamed about wild pigs, sotol, rain and
              snakes..

              Looking forward to it.. Thankyou for your comments
              Moogy. At least the jet lag coming back isn't as bad
              for you hopefully?

              Lynnor Matheney

            • bob.i.botto@exxonmobil.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                All and Lynnor especially please bring plenty of warm clothes! A cold front
                is due in Friday night. Friday will be warm and very disceptive if you
                don't know. Overnight it's supposed to cool off and the wind come in from
                the north. Saturday will be very windy (gusts to 35 mph) during the day
                with a high of about 59. Saturday night it will calm down a bit but there
                will be a breeze all night and temperature will go down to 30 and it will
                be dry too (please Lynnor stay warm!).

                See you all out there!

                Bob

                Bob Botto
                Analytical Services Laboratory
                Baytown Complex Laboratory Department
                5000 Bayway Dr. Baytown, Tx 77520
                Company Mail: CORP-BSL-103
                Phone: 281-834-5133
                Pager: 281-439-1300
                Fax: 281-834-1775
                Join the ExxonMobil Corporate Track & Field Team!

                lynnor
                matheney
                <lillamb1997@y To
                ahoo.co.uk> h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com
                Sent by: cc
                h_t_rex@yahoog
                roups.com Subject
                Re: [h_t_rex] Re: shoes at Bandera

                01/08/09 08:34
                AM

                Please respond
                h_t_rex@yahoog
                roups.com

                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                  --- bob.i.botto@... wrote:

                  > All and Lynnor especially please bring plenty of
                  > warm clothes!

                  Hey Bob,

                  Thanks for reminding me,,lol, I have to go pick up my
                  prescription inaler. ha!

                  Lynnor
                • bob.i.botto@exxonmobil.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                    I'm just concerned about you Lynnor. Weather .com has temp going down to 26
                    and wind 10-15 mph all night. That's a wind chill in the teens. Rugged!!!!

                    Bob

                    Bob Botto
                    Analytical Services Laboratory
                    Baytown Complex Laboratory Department
                    5000 Bayway Dr. Baytown, Tx 77520
                    Company Mail: CORP-BSL-103
                    Phone: 281-834-5133
                    Pager: 281-439-1300
                    Fax: 281-834-1775
                    Join the ExxonMobil Corporate Track & Field Team!

                    lynnor
                    matheney
                    <lillamb1997@y To
                    ahoo.co.uk> h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com
                    Sent by: cc
                    h_t_rex@yahoog
                    roups.com Subject
                    Re: [h_t_rex] Re: shoes at Bandera

                    01/08/09 09:08
                    AM

                    Please respond
                    h_t_rex@yahoog
                    roups.com

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                      I'm really hoping I don't take all night to finish!!
                      But yeah I have a lotta clothes this time.

                      ;-) Lynnor
                    • bob.i.botto@exxonmobil.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                        Great Lynnor! Yeh you should finish around midnight. I won't worry.

                        Bob

                        Bob Botto
                        Analytical Services Laboratory
                        Baytown Complex Laboratory Department
                        5000 Bayway Dr. Baytown, Tx 77520
                        Company Mail: CORP-BSL-103
                        Phone: 281-834-5133
                        Pager: 281-439-1300
                        Fax: 281-834-1775
                        Join the ExxonMobil Corporate Track & Field Team!

                        lynnor
                        matheney
                        <lillamb1997@y To
                        ahoo.co.uk> h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com
                        Sent by: cc
                        h_t_rex@yahoog
                        roups.com Subject
                        Re: [h_t_rex] Re: shoes at Bandera

                        01/08/09 09:20
                        AM

                        Please respond
                        h_t_rex@yahoog
                        roups.com

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                          Moogy, you don't need to train for the 50K.  You ran three (and change) 50K's out there in November.  This will be a walk in the park.  Good luck!

                          And Lynnor, as for shoes, I've decided to go with a pretty new pair of Trail Attacks and have my beefy shoes back at the Lodge in case the Attacks aren't up to it after a loop.

                          Miles

                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                            Dimmit!
                            I know I'm just being whiny, but I'm really tired of warm then cold then warm then cold weather! I'm definitely a warm/hot weather runner and a day like TODAY would have served me very well Saturday. I look so bad in tights...
                            Grumble, grumble, grumble.

                            BTW, on a happier note, Abby and I have been cranking out chocolate chip cookies for everyone at Bandera - even gluten-free ones!  And they are all quite yummy if I say so myself.
                             Be sure to come get some before the spectathletes eat them all on the sidelines...

                            --- Erik Moortgat <emoortgat@mac. com> wrote:

                            > I'll write about by DNF's later but I wanted to
                            > chime in to Lynnor. I
                            > would wear a pair of shoes that have great traction
                            > on rocks. I love
                            > my Montrail Vitesses but they suck on slippery rocks
                            > so I won't wear
                            > them. For last year's Cactus Rose I wore my Montrail
                            > Streak's for the
                            > first 50 miles and love them. The bottom of my feet
                            > became a bit sore
                            > due to minimal protection in that area so I switched
                            > to my HardRocks
                            > for the second 50. Quite a difference. I will be
                            > wearing my Streak's
                            > again for the 50k. I wouldn't recommend the Streak's
                            > for a full 100k,
                            > something a little beafier. Just make sure that your
                            > treads are good
                            > (for the rocks), whatever you decide.
                            > Going to be an interesting race for me. I just
                            > returned last night
                            > from Singapore and the last time I ran on a trail
                            > was Cactus Rose...a
                            > week later I was on a plane to Asia.
                            > Moogy

                          • Miles

                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                                > I look so bad in tights...
                                > > Grumble, grumble, grumble.

                                Yes yes..In the interest of warmth I'm not going to
                                think about it..besides if I show up in shorts Bob
                                Botto will be right behind me nagging the whole way..

                                Lynnor
                              • bob.i.botto@exxonmobil.com
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 8, 2009
                                  You better believe it and maybe you better double layer them in the night
                                  hours. See you tomorrow!

                                  Bob

                                  Bob Botto
                                  Analytical Services Laboratory
                                  Baytown Complex Laboratory Department
                                  5000 Bayway Dr. Baytown, Tx 77520
                                  Company Mail: CORP-BSL-103
                                  Phone: 281-834-5133
                                  Pager: 281-439-1300
                                  Fax: 281-834-1775
                                  Join the ExxonMobil Corporate Track & Field Team!

                                  lynnor
                                  matheney
                                  <lillamb1997@y To
                                  ahoo.co.uk> h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com