IT Band

  • Frank & Paige Krekeler
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 28, 2008

      I have recently discovered my IT band. It was one part of my body that had not given me trouble and now it has introduced itself.  My knee isn’t bothering me at all; it is my hip where the pain is.

      I’ve been online trying to figure out more about it but can only find info about the knee pain.  I know to stop running for a week or two and to take ibuprofen.  Other than that, is there something I should do? Should I call my fabulous sports med doc?

      Suggestions welcome!

      Paige

    • Miles

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 29, 2008
          I had a lot of fun at these races. I'll definitely go back next year.

          I got the following message off the race web site:

          Karl's Kanoe canceled for 2008.
          Hi everyone,
          Hope y'all r managing to stay safe during this difficult time.
          I regret to inform you the Karl's Kanoe at Inks Lake SP 2008 has been
          officially canceled. We will not re-schedule
          for numerous reasons. This decesion was not an easy one, as we
          labored over it the last four days. We were told
          on Wed evening by the park ranger, Terry Rogers, that Inks was
          closing for the weekend. Well, by fri morning
          circumstances had changed and they needed the room for evacuees, so
          the park re-opened. Regardless of the
          conditions in the hill country, the weather is looming in so many
          other areas. Alot of u were traveling from affected
          regions so we felt it was not worth the extra risk to have y'all on
          the highways during such dangerous conditions.
          We hope u understand. There was no one looking forward to this race
          more than myself and our crew.

          Here's how the partial refund will work. Everyone of you'll have a
          free entry into one of our three Dark Side Series
          races in 2009. I will also send y'all out a goodie bag and belt
          buckles (to those who qualify). Please contact me with
          questions or concerns. Again, all proceeds to benefit
          www.cuisineforhealing.com. Go to www.traversetrailrunning.com
          for further details.

          Thanks again for all your efforts and support. See u next year at
          Capt'n Karl's Dark Side.
          Cheers,
          Brad Quinn
          830.613.6134
          www.traversetrailrunning.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 29, 2008

            Paige

            Sorry to hear about your aches and pains!! :-s
            I think you need to come back to the trails!

            Try this stretch:
            http://www.easyvigour.net.nz/fitness/h_TFL_StrSt.htm
            I have used it in the past with the same issue and it helps. What also worked great was Active Release Therapy (ART) to the area.

          • Karen andor Richard
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 30, 2008
              Poor Paige; you know its all a function of getting old don't you!!!

              I do the same stretches as Mariela posted. I've also found hip
              abducton and anduction stretches very useful - whilst sitting pushing
              weights outwards on the outside of the knees as you spread your knees
              apart, and the converse of pushing weights inwards as you bring your
              knees/legs together (from a split position); all on those dreaded, but
              helpful at times weight training machines.

              Two other comments:
              1) commit to do, and therefore train for another Ironman - the cross
              training (especially the swimming) can only do you good
              2) eat more chocolate, as chocolate is the cure for all ailments

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 30, 2008
                  --- Karen andor Richard <klynn1@...> wrote:
                  > 2) eat more chocolate, as chocolate is the cure for
                  > all ailments

                  Eat more European chocolate. It's better for you and
                  tastes better too.

                  Lynnor Matheney
                  The Woodlands
                • Frank & Paige Krekeler
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008

                    I’m definitely following the chocolate therapy advice—probably more than I should.  I’m being really good and I’m not running at all this week. I plan to give it a slow try on Saturday.

                    Hopefully I can join the group again soon—I hate my coaching gig. I like the people but it is such a time drain.  I learned my lesson a few years ago but then was convinced (too easily) to return.  I should have thought about it first. Oh well.

                    I plan to come out in a few weeks…need to hit the trails to ‘train’ for February’s Rocky Raccoon.

                    Paige