RR50/100 - interesting

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
      While searching for a good map of the Huntsville SP trails, I noticed that the 2009 Rocky Raccoon 50 & 100 mile courses are significantly changed, incorporating a chunk of the Lone Star Trail.  Interesting:  http://www.tejastrails.com/maps/map_RR_course_2009.pdf

      Miles
    • h_t_rex
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008

        You're right!
        Most likely 25-mile loops now.
        Also, looks like the Highway AidStation is now towards the end of the loop.

        I wrote Joe a couple of weeks ago informing him that HTRex would not be able to sponsor the Highway AidStation for the 2009 event.
        We just do not have the manpower. Everyone wants to run...
        Last year we worked on a skeleton crew and it was stressful for all involved.
        Until I can verify that we will have more volunteers I did not want to take responsability for the Aid Station.
        I hope we can still supply volunteers to help out at all the aid Stations and pre/post run tasks as well.

        > http://www.tejastrails.com/maps/map_RR_course_2009.pdf

      • Karen andor Richard
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
          Interesting... just check the web-site and apart from the new map
          nothing that I can see about any course change; hopefully I can get
          back to volunteer in Feb 2009.
        • Kevin Walker
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
            If you look at the aid station chart it shows 20 mile loops.

            Kevin Walker
            Sent from my iPhone

            On Jul 1, 2008, at 13:08, "h_t_rex" <h_t_rex@...> wrote:

            You're right!
            Most likely 25-mile loops now.
            Also, looks like the Highway AidStation is now towards the end of the loop.

            I wrote Joe a couple of weeks ago informing him that HTRex would not be able to sponsor the Highway AidStation for the 2009 event.
            We just do not have the manpower. Everyone wants to run...
            Last year we worked on a skeleton crew and it was stressful for all involved.
            Until I can verify that we will have more volunteers I did not want to take responsability for the Aid Station.
            I hope we can still supply volunteers to help out at all the aid Stations and pre/post run tasks as well.

            > http://www.tejastra ils.com/maps/ map_RR_course_ 2009.pdf

          • Erik Moortgat
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
              Hi,
              I just joined the group but I know some of ya. I run the *new* RR100 20-mile loop regularly (I think it is exactly what Joe has posted) and if anyone wants to get together for a loop, let me know. BUT...it won't be for a couple of weeks since HR is next weekend. I think that the loop is much better but that is opinion.
              Take care,
              Moogy
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
                Yeah, I think the loops are the same distance.  The long out and back on the LST looks like it replaces the long out & backs on the perimeter fire roads.  In addition, the single-track section between Amy's and Dam Road becomes a two-way trail.  Also, the boardwalks over the swampy section is no longer part of the course - although I generally like that section, at least I won't have to worry about falling in while severely fatigued...

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
                  Hi Moogy

                  Good to have you!
                  We're up for a Huntville run soon. There will be a LST run in a couple
                  of weeks and probably a few more before the end of the summer.
                  Stay tuned.