Trail Work Opportunity

  • roger.boak
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 26, 2008
      GHORBA and the Park will be moving mass quantities of dirt on Saturday and Sunday. If you
      feel the need to help or just want some strength training RSVP.

      Details at http://www.ghorba.org/trail-news/wp-memorial-park-08-06-28-29
      or http://www.ghorba.org/

      Roger

      ps -- Way to go Mariela!
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 27, 2008
        I plan to help out Saturday morning after my walk and after Frank picks
        up the K9s at 8AM-ish.
        Who else is in?
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 27, 2008
          I want to help, but I can't figure out the stupid volunteer site...

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 27, 2008
            I didn't want to register, so I left a message on the GHORBA site and
            got a reply back from the coordinator.

            > I want to help, but I can't figure out the stupid volunteer site...
          • Tim Flynn
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 27, 2008
              I saw the dirt pile yesterday evening but will be out on vacation starting tomorrow.  I'm interested to see what the strategy is for holding the dirt in place and resisting future erosion?

              I plan to help out Saturday morning after my walk and after Frank picks
              up the K9s at 8AM-ish.
              Who else is in?

            • Roger Boak
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 27, 2008
                The volunteer site is definitely a deterrent. It took me two days to get through it.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 28, 2008
                  I just walked over there about 9:15 when i finished running.

                  There was a guy near the hose bib giving people a hard time about
                  going on the "Closed Trails!" I worked for about an hour and a half
                  despite the guy's attitude.

                  They had a gasoline powered machine called a tamper that packed the
                  dirt down.
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 30, 2008
                    I headed out there Sunday and worked from 11AM - 1:30PM.

                    Roger was still there from the day before!!
                    Lot's of progress was made and hopefully they were able to complete
                    filling in the wash-out.
                    When I left they had already gone through 25 truck loads of dirt and
                    killed one gas powered stamper.

                    During my stint, there were 4 runners and 5-6 cyclists working to
                    improve the trail.
                    Not a bad number to represent the trail running community. There could
                    have been a lot more participation from both sides though!
                  • Roger Boak