Wild English Animals

  • Karen andor Richard
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2008
      Yes, we do have them :)

      After yesterdays dawn to dusk rain today started no better, but
      slowly the clouds cleared and that cherished sight in England of
      blue sky and sunshine slowly put in an appearance. So, after work I
      decided to go out for a walk; my knee is still bothering me so it
      was to be a walk and not run today. The plan was for an hour, and
      hopefully I'd make it to Ruislip Woods before turning around. The
      ground had drained surprisingly well after all the rain, but the
      streams were flowing fast. Cross the road, up the hill and down the
      other side to the livery farm. I figured I'd make it to the woods
      easily, all I had to do was cross the road and up the 4 foot wide
      bridle path.

      And then as I was looking forwards into the field on my left, there
      was this cat like animal stalking through the 2 foot high grass,
      followed by a 2nd smaller one behind. Surely, surely not wild cats,
      not in the south of England - it can't be, can it... They were
      making a beeline for the fence just in front of me. I stopped and
      stood perfectly still; like a statue. Then, about 30 feet in front
      of me through the grass and the fence poked this brown head - and I
      was right, it wasn't a wild cat. It was a fox. We looked at each
      other for about 5 seconds, and it slowly came through the fence,
      looked again and walked slowly up and across the bridle path. It
      stopped again, turned to look at me, and then went into the grass on
      the other side of the bridle path. I stayed where I was and waited
      for number two. Number two went another way and I saw it walking
      down the path towrads me. This one was smaller, obviously a foxy
      cub :). It too stopped looked at me for a few seconds and then
      followed momma fox into the grass...

      Darn it, why did I not bring the camera!!!

      Can't say I miss running with the SE Texas wildlife after reading
      Miles' LST report and responses... :)
    • Frank & Paige Krekeler
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 2008

        Definitely need to bring the camera next time. J