Re: [h_t_rex] Saturday May 31at Lone Star Trail (LST) Run

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2008
      My LST Run Report (Of Heat, Horseflies, and Hilarious Hikers):

      As we were about to start the well-traveled 8.4 mile Big Creek section, Mariela announced that "the horseflies are out."  So I slathered on some of Kim's all-natural (cue the sound of bugs laughing) insect repellant & the posse hit the trails.  Settled into a pleasant, laid-back pace with Kelly for a bit and then decided to see if I could catch "the pack" up ahead.  It was also about that time that THEY appeared.  First an innocent buzz around the legs, then I feel one bounce off my hat, then another.  One's under the brim of my hat, near my eyes, another one is chewing on my neck.  "Son of a bit#@!"  They're friggin everywhere!

      Nothing quickens the pace like trying to outrun a swarm of hungry horseflies, and in no time I had caught the pack of chicas and tucked in behind them, hoping that there was relative safety in numbers from the biting beasties.  There wasn't.  Once again, I found myself trying to outrun the flies (to no avail) & when I came up on Larry maybe a mile from the turnaround point, I realized that I was going to pay a price for running so hard so early.

      After a brief rest at the turnaround point, Larry, Mariela and some other crazies announced that they were going to continue on for another 1.5 miles before turning back, for an additional 3 miles total.  Me, I wasn't having any of it.  Fortunately, Kim wasn't either & we turned back then and there & made our way back the way we came.  Amazingly, the horseflies on the return trip seemed to stick closer to the ground, rarely swarming around my face or even much above my calves.  They were probably bloated on our blood by then and couldn't fly very high.  With the little beasties relegated to ground-level and some good conversation with Kim, the miles passed quickly and pleasantly.

      Kim and I separated after a bit and about a mile or so later I came across a group of hikers heading toward Double Lake.  The gentleman in the back called out "runner back" - a really generous description of what I was doing at that point - and I said my "good mornings" and "thanks" as I moved past.  Less than a minute later, I came across a gentle uphill grade and decided to walk a bit.  As it happens, I was still in earshot of the group and could overhear a spirited debate between a man and woman about why anyone would prefer to run the trails rather than hike them.  The man took the position that "to each his/her own" but the woman was adamant that it was stupid to run what you could hike.  At that point, hot, fly-bitten, and low on water, I'm not sure I could argue with her...

      After a few anxious minutes where I was unsure if I was on the right trail, I finally heard the sound of voices from Double Lake.  Happy kids' voices.  Happy kids playing in the water.  Water.  Cool water.  There was no inner debate about whether to stop or not.  I immediately veered off the main trail and toward the swimming section of the lake, pulled off my pack, shoes and socks, and waded out into the lake and sat down, the water perfectly neck-high.  Words cannot describe.  After a couple of minutes, I overheard someone say something about a water moccassin, and I decided that it was time to move along.  Perfect timing too, because I ran into Kim again on the way out of the recreation area and we ran and walked (and walked and ran) until we finally made it back to the cars (and blessed a/c).

      All in all, a tough run, some misery, some happiness, a handful of itchy bug bites, and a lot of sweat.  Summer has definitely arrived.

      Cheers,

      Miles

      On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 11:39 AM, h_t_rex <h_t_rex@...> wrote:

      LST Trail Run

      WHAT:
      We'll be running the Big Creek section of the Lone Star Trail. On the map below, we'll be running from P #11 to P #13, which is ~8.4 miles. Then, turn-around at P #13 and return to P #11, for a total of ~17 miles.
      Please remember to bring enough water / Gatorade / food to last for 8.4 miles.
      Please drop off your aid station supplies at P#13.
      Also bring a copy of the map (see link below) so you don't get lost on the trail, as well as bug spray if you taste yummy.

      DIRECTIONS:
      L.S.H.T. PARKING LOT #11 - From Houston, go north on US 59, take the Coldspring exit, 2025 just past Cleveland, TX. Go northwest (left) ~10 miles to FM 2666 at the Texas Forest Service Work Center. Turn right/East and travel 1.2 miles to the trailhead on the left.
      NOTE: this is NOT where we're starting but it's where the turn-around / aid station is (P #13), so everyone has to stop here and drop off water / gatorade.

      Then, back-track to 2025 and drive another ~4 miles NW (take a right at 2025). Watch for the trailhead on the right. This is P #11. If you get to Double Lake Recreation Area, you've gone too far.

      WHEN: Saturday, May 31, 2008.

      TIME: Start at 7:00.

      MAP: http://www.lshtclub.com/bigcrk1.pdf

      CARPOOL: Please meet at 5:30 AM at the Tennis Center at Memorial Park. At that point, we can figure out who's driving and who would like a ride.
      We will be leaving the tennis center at 5:45 SHARP to get to the trailhead at 7:00.

      HCM Trail Run

      CANCELLED

      HCM Trail Walk

      CANCELLED

    • Michelle
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2008
        Great report, Miles. Good news on the horse flies: Jean said that
        their season will end in mid-June, so if our next LST run is mid-
        July, we should be free of the little beasties. Mariela, how's your
        bite? Did anyone else actually get bitten, or just bothered?

        You know, Double Lake looked really tempting at about mile 16, and
        I'm glad you gave in to that tempetation and took a dip. I'm
        jealous. Also, thanks tons for that bottle of water in the parking
        lot...I was definitely running (or walking) on empty, and my water
        was locked in Julie's car...not a smart move on my part.

        M.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2008
          Just glad I had some water to share.  Almost walked out of the house Saturday morning without my cooler.

          Looking forward to a hot & horsefly-free run next month.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 2, 2008
            Nice report Miles!

            I would have to agree regarding the darn beasties!
            I was actually bitten by one on the calf and the darn thing is still
            swollen and sore/itchy.
            I've been popping Benadryl...and it seems to be helping.

            Any of you that were not there when Larry, Mary and I finished...you
            may want to check for ticks.
            I found one under my sock when I changed my shoes.
            Luckily that little beast hadn't gotten a chance to 'attach' itself to
            me ;-)

            On the 1.5 mile out/back there was quite a bit of poison ivy, so I was
            glad that I had put on Ivy Block before starting the run.
            Hopefully Mary, Larry, Dawn and Allen do not have PI issues.

            I really like the LST!
            You never know what you're going to run into....
          • tjflynn2003@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 3, 2008
              For bites, make a paste out of Adolph's meat tenderizer and apply directly to the bite to reduce swelling.

              Thanks for all the reports.
              Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 3, 2008
                "I really like the LST!
                You never know what you're going to run into...."

                Horseflies, poison ivy, ticks, feral pigs . . .  indeed, the LST is a runner's paradise!   ;-)

                On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 10:08 PM, Mariela <mvbotella@...> wrote:

                Nice report Miles!

                I would have to agree regarding the darn beasties!
                I was actually bitten by one on the calf and the darn thing is still
                swollen and sore/itchy.
                I've been popping Benadryl...and it seems to be helping.

                Any of you that were not there when Larry, Mary and I finished...you
                may want to check for ticks.
                I found one under my sock when I changed my shoes.
                Luckily that little beast hadn't gotten a chance to 'attach' itself to
                me ;-)

                On the 1.5 mile out/back there was quite a bit of poison ivy, so I was
                glad that I had put on Ivy Block before starting the run.
                Hopefully Mary, Larry, Dawn and Allen do not have PI issues.

                I really like the LST!
                You never know what you're going to run into....

              • Karen andor Richard
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 4, 2008
                  Nicely written report. I can't say I miss that LST wildlife; so did
                  the natural (ha, ha) potion work for Kim. You'll probably found she
                  gave you the "natural" stuff and put a real antidote on herself :)