Waco 5-0 Report

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 11, 2008
      This is the second year in a row I've traveled up to Waco for Tim Neckar's gem of a race.  To those unfamiliar with Cameron Park, your reaction to the Waco 5-0 might be the same as my initial reaction:  the mention of "Waco" doesn't immediately conjure up the term "trail race."  Ahhh, but you would be wrong.  The trails of Cameron Park are some of the most delightful trails I've been on - hilly, rocky, twisted, nasty, brutal, and a total blast to run.  It's the Ho Chi Mihn on steroids.  And Tim - who has obviously attended the Joe P. / Bandera school of course design - layed out the course (three 10.33 mile loops) to take advantage of only the best (or worst) the park has to offer.  The first three miles of the 10.33 mile loop is an absolute killer - a couple of steep (almost hands & knees at a couple of spots), longish climbs, followed by similarly steep, twisting descents, and a relentless, remorseless series of 20' - 40' roller coasters, some rocky, some rooty, all guaranteed to frustrate any sense of rhythm you hope to fall into.  The middle 3-4 miles settles down a bit and offers some longer stretches of gentle terrain (with plenty of nastiness mixed in), but the final three miles ends with more roller coasters, a stunning bamboo forest (yeah, in Waco), and (new this year) a truly masochistic climb up "Jacob's Ladder," a cruel collection of stairs of varying heights and vertigo-inducing steepness.  Nice touch.  Thanks Tim.

      My race:  Loop 1:  a cold-finger start, followed by relaxed running and good conversation (much of it with Clea C. of Austin and Ryan V. of Ft. Worth [and El Scorcho fame]) that brought us back to the S/F in a hair over two hours.  After a quick call home to check on the flu-ravaged family, Loop 2 started fine, but midway through my "strategy" of bombing the downhills early on caught up to me and very painful hip flexor forced me into a shuffle by mile 16.  Kim's last-minute decision to drop down to the 20 miler became my even more last-minute decision, and discretion being the better part of valor, I chose fajitas and beer over continued pain (and possible injury).  Beer over pain is always a wise call.  So, my Waco 5-0 was actually a Waco 20.66.  A blast all the same.

      I can't recommend this race more highly - I hope we can get a bigger contingent of Houston runners there next year.  In addition to the fantastic course and wonderful organization, logistically it's so easy.  Rooms in Waco are plentiful and cheap this time of year.  Parking is ample and basically on top of the start/finish.  The food is absolutely first-rate.  And did I mention that there was lots of post-race beer?  Finally, for now, the race is small enough that it still has a really laid-back, super-friendly vibe.  All good.

      Cheers,

      Miles
    • Mary Ntefidou
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 11, 2008
        Thank you for your reports Miles and Richard.

        I am always looking forward to read them. They are entertaining and informative, and I have to use a dictionary (especially true for Richard's reports), this means my vocabulary is expanding :-)

        Denise and I signed up for Pricky Pear this Saturday. Anybody else?

        All the best, Mary

        HM Klaff <hmklaff@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Kevin Outman
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 11, 2008
          Nice report Miles. Sorry I wasn't able to join you. I had signed up for Waco but, like your family, ended up being
          flu-ravaged.

          Kevin

          On Tue , 'HM Klaff' sent:
        • Karen andor Richard
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 12, 2008
            Sounds like a good challenging run and you had loads of fun, but maybe
            too much fun... you need to push through those weak thoughts, ignore
            Kim, forget about beer, suffer the pain, and get yourself toughened up
            for our WS100 :)

            Richard...
          • Wenner Denise