Request for Tips before joining y'all

  • bonbonniebonster
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 24, 2008
      Hey there,

      I'm a street runner who never knew about trail running. Currently I run
      a few times a week on the treadmill or Memorial's loop.

      Can someone tell me how long the Saturday run is? In miles and in time?
      I can't make this Saturday's run, but I can do next Saturday.

      And since y'all (soon to be we) do trails, does your pace decrease
      significantly or just a smidge?

      And are there any other tips I can solicit?

      Thanks bunches
      bon
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 24, 2008
        Bonnie:

        I'm sure you'll get more definitive answers from others, but I think this group's Saturday runs are pretty different from the normal road running group runs (e.g., Houston Fit, Runners' High) in that there usually isn't a set number of miles to do (or even a set length in time).  Generally, people show up and the group will head out and run & some people may cut the run short while others may add a little on.  The runs generally tend to fall into the 2-3 hour range.  It's a pretty loose organization (one of the attractions, IMHO).

        As for pace compared to the roads, yes, your pace will decrease - a smidge on the tame, flat trails; significantly on the more technical sections.  Pace slows down - no getting around that fact.  The effort varies a lot more than on the roads as well - the flats can be pretty easy, and the up & downs can take a lot out of you.

        Your enjoyment on the trails will also have something to do with your ability to brush off the inevitable close encounters with the ground.  Keeping your eyes on the trail 100% of the time you're running is a must.  That said, you will kiss the dirt.  Everyone does at some point.  If you can take it in stride, you'll be golden.  And, how do you feel about mud and standing water?

        Hope you come out & join us soon.  Next Saturday's run is likely to be cancelled because the group runs one of the aid stations at the Rocky Raccoon 100 up in Huntsville & a number of members are also running the race.  But I'm sure there will be a group run the following week.

        Miles

        I'm a street runner who never knew about trail running. Currently I run
        a few times a week on the treadmill or Memorial's loop.

        Can someone tell me how long the Saturday run is? In miles and in time?
        I can't make this Saturday's run, but I can do next Saturday.

        And since y'all (soon to be we) do trails, does your pace decrease
        significantly or just a smidge?

        And are there any other tips I can solicit?

        Thanks bunches
        bon

      • Karen andor Richard
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 24, 2008
          Liking, or at least not fearing dogs, will help too :)
        • Kevin Walker
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 24, 2008
            Bonnie,

            While some of us do run for 2 to 3 hours or even more, we head back
            to the cars for water, food, etc every 45 minutes to 1 hour. You can
            run as much as you want but you don't have to bite off more than an
            hour or so at a time.

            You are welcome to come out to Huntsville State Park on Saturday. You
            can help at the aid station which is a bunch of fun or you can just
            watch the crazies run 50 or 100 miles.
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 25, 2008
              "crazies"?  Richard takes offense at that description (notwithstanding its accuracy)...

              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 25, 2008

                I'm slowly coming to grips with the notion of "crazies", it's the word "run" I'm currently having trouble with.

                PS you're beginning to sound a bit like Will :O

                --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, Miles Klaff <becsdad96@...> wrote:

                > "crazies"? Richard takes offense at that description (notwithstanding its accuracy)...

              • bonbonniebonster
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 25, 2008
                  My husband noted that you guys might run faster than I think you do.
                  I'm an 11min/mile gal on flat terrain on a medium day. If I'm
                  listening to some catchy music it might go to 10.5 or 10. How fast
                  do y'all cruise? And can I keep up if this is my normal street pace?

                  Thanks for the Huntsville offer, but I've got another group function
                  (non-running) in the morning.

                  Thanks
                  bon

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 25, 2008
                    When I was a kid I would dream of growing up so I could have perfect
                    legs with no scrapes or bruises like the pretty ladies on TV.

                    It never happened.

                    So I'm pretty okay with falling down.

                    Mud and standing water? Can I avoid it? I don't mind getting me
                    dirty, but I just bought a swell new pair of Asics 2130s…

                    I'm guessing iPods are a really bad idea too, huh? Do we have to
                    deal with bicyclists?

                    Thanks for your help, Miles. (And how great a name you have for a
                    runner!)

                    bon

                    _______________
                    > Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                    > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.
                    http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?
                    category=shopping

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 25, 2008
                      Bonnie,

                      "Mud and standing water?  Can I avoid it?"  Um, depends...  If you're a good leaper, then sometimes.  That is, unless Mariela decides it's a good idea to run down the "log road" and its 1/4 mile of 8"-deep, freezing water and mud.  Don't worry, you'll get the feeling back in your toes after a few minutes....

                      iPods are fine when it's crappy weather and you know there aren't any bikers around; not so good when the bikers on the trails & you have to listen for them.

                      Miles

                      ____________ ___

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 25, 2008

                        You can always take your shoes and socks off for the wet and muddy parts, after all isn't mud supposed to be good for the complexion and skin :D.

                        We've actually seen people do that - it was pretty hilarious as they didn't have any means of drying their feet after wading through the water!

                      • Eliza Gillock
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 25, 2008
                          Hi Bon,

                          I just joined the online group myself.  I run about a 10 minute mile too so you will have a running partner.  I can't get out ther until mid February though I have a wedding and convention to attend. I only ran on trails once in Atlanta while I was working there for a month and I loved it so I am really excited about getting out to Memorial and running with everyone. I was reading everyone's response and really like the friendliness of the group.  To those of you running at Huntsville next weekend best of luck and enjoy yourselves!
                          Eliza

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 25, 2008

                            Cool Eliza!

                            Come to think of it, I technically ran a trail in Newport , Rhode Island . I decided to run the cliff walk there. They said there would be “rough terrain.” I thought, these people don’t know rough. The cliff walk is indeed Texas rough! Some of it I couldn’t run, but had to forge ahead anyhow hoping it would get better. It just got worse. I had images of people in helicopters seeing my body among the rocks. I made it though (didn’t want to leave you with a cliffhanger…)

                            And I did “accidentally” run the Memorial bike trail once and really liked that. I guess that’s why I’m excited about doing this. It is much more interesting and keeps the core muscles reminded of why they are there.

                            We are having a Super Bowl party and so my husband is discouraging running a new trail/style the day before we have to host many. I’m running the Teachers Fund Run on Feb 9. So I might have to wait until mid-Feb also.

                            In the meantime, I’m going to keep visiting and keep training.

                            GO TEAM!

                            bon

                            Bonnie Michelle Crowder, C.M.G., E.W.

                            Training & Learning Consulting, Halliburton

                            10200 Bellaire Blvd #1NE15C, Houston , Tx 77073

                            281-575-3451 office, 713-557-8048 mobile

                            Halliburton - what happens here changes the world.

[...]

                            This e-mail, including any attached files, may contain confidential and privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution, or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the intended recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 25, 2008
                              Hi Bonnie & Eliza

                              Welcome to Houston Trail Runners EXtreme....we came up with
                              the 'EXtreme' because we wanted a catchy acronym....HTRex...but we're
                              not really 'EXtreme' although we do have a trail named 'Extreme' that
                              we enjoy.

                              OK...we have a motto:
                              "No one is left behind....until they know the trails!"
                              So, no worries, you come out and join us and we'll make sure that
                              there's someone running your pace.
                              We also incorporate a lot of walking in our workouts, so that usually
                              brings our pace down a tad.

                              There are no wild and dangerous dogs out there. Richard was referring
                              to my k9s who also trail run and join us on Saturday mornings. Just
                              another tripping hazard to overcome.

                              We will have lots of wildlife and geologic points of interest to show
                              you all!
                            • bob.i.botto@exxonmobil.com
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 25, 2008
                                Welcome Bonnie and Eliza - you will enjoy our runs!!!

                                Bob Botto
                                Analytical Services Laboratory
                                Baytown Complex Laboratory Department
                                5000 Bayway Dr. Baytown, Tx 77520
                                Company Mail: CORP-BSL-103
                                Phone: 281-834-5133
                                Pager: 281-439-1300
                                Fax: 281-834-1775
                                Join the ExxonMobil Corporate Track & Field Team!

                                "Mariela"
                                <mvbotella@sbc
                                global.net> To
                                Sent by: h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com
                                h_t_rex@yahoog cc
                                roups.com
                                Subject
                                [h_t_rex] Bonnie & Eliza Welcome!
                                01/25/08 12:35
                                PM

                                Please respond
                                h_t_rex@yahoog
                                roups.com

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 25, 2008
                                  Someone obviously forgot to tell the squirrels that there are no wild and dangerous dogs out there.  And shouldn't it be "geologic point of interest" rather than "points"?

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 25, 2008
                                    Also one of the "wildlife" is back in college in New York, so you
                                    won't see him until Spring Break or ????
                                  • Frank & Paige Krekeler
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 25, 2008

                                      Bon,

                                      You shouldn’t have said anything about the new shoes. Shoes are meant to be dirty and both Richard and Mariela will make sure that yours are no exception.

                                      Everyone is very welcoming and you’ll enjoy yourself. As Miles said, this group isn’t like the road running crowd. Many of us still do road races but the trails are so much more fun.

                                      Paige

                                      ____________ ___
                                      > Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                                      > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.
                                      http://tools. search.yahoo. com/newsearch/ category. php?
                                      category=shopping

                                    • impeesia
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 31, 2008
                                        --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, "Karen andor Richard" <klynn1@...>
                                        wrote:

                                        > Also one of the "wildlife" is back in college in New York, so you
                                        > won't see him until Spring Break or ????

                                        hilaaaaaaaaaaaarious

                                        nice one old chap

                                        but i will not be gracing you with my presence until the summer months
                                        are upon us

                                        happy running everyone
                                        -will
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jan 31, 2008
                                          Seriously, what red-blooded college student wants to spend Spring Break in Houston?  Then again, what sane person wants to spend the summer here?

                                          Best of luck this semester (or quarter, or whatever the kids call it these days).

                                          Miles