RE: [h_t_rex] Bandera

  • Frank & Paige Krekeler
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2008

      I, too, had a fantastic time this year. The 25K was a great length for me.

      Our goal was to have fun and we did. No injuries or blisters. Frank’s main complaint was following my lead. I had a little bit of watered-down Heed and he did too. It bothered his stomach for the last few miles but didn’t stop us.

      My legs were certainly tired of climbing but I never had any pain or concerns—a HUGE relief for my first “race” back.

      I’ve posted most of my pictures on the website as well.

      Thanks for the fun weekend everyone!

      Paige

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 7, 2008
        Okay, now it's personal between me and that bit&%, Bandera.  Thought I was positioned for a good race.  The right gear, the right nutrition, dry weather, sufficient (if not great) training, pretty much injury-free.  Alas, it just never happened.  I started the race immediately feeling low on energy - every climb was tough and sapping.  I knew there was in trouble when I was already dripping sweat on the way up Ice Cream Hill, but hoped that at some point the turnaround would happen and I would find my groove.  In fact, I thought I had turned the corner while heading up and down the power line climbs between Nachos and Chapas, chatting with Kim & finally feeling okay.  But then I fell back into a huge energy low just after Chapas & just couldn't climb out of it.  Maybe a mile out of Crossroads, I told myself I was dropping.  I had just walked almost the entire 8/9 loop (the most runnable section of the whole course) and most definitely had not done so with a "porpoise."  When I arrive at CR, amazingly I was only 8 minutes off my projected pace.  At that point, I decided to down another Ensure and keep moving and see what happened.  Plus, I really enjoyed the section between the two CR stops last year.  Well, that was last year.  This year, that section was an endless grind.  The climb up the Sisters made me want to puke and left me sapped of what little energy I had left.  When I got back to CR, all I could think about was having a cup of Coke, a pop tart, and laying down in the shade.  My race was done.

        What went wrong?  Well, next day I woke up with a sore throat and hacking up nasty yuck & feel kinda bad today as well.  So, I suppose I'm battling some sort of bug.  Also, I feel pretty sure I let myself get dehydrated.  I kept up with electrolytes (thanks to Kim's reminders), with calories, but I just never drank enough water.  And on a sneaky-hot day, that's a bad mistake.

        Still, the weekend was great fun.  BIG thanks to Paige and Frank for altering the "F-cooler" to the "run-25K-plus" cooler.  The Shiner and the Buc-ees jerky quickly took the sting out of my personal disappointment.  Also, it was great to see Mariela and Kim running so strong.  Obviously, the chicks ruled!  Finally, working Chapas from 6:30 to closing time with Larry was a treat.  Watching the back-of-the-packers stagger through at mile 40 was an inspiration for next year (and for RR next month).

        Congrats to Mariela and Kim and Mary and Richard and Paige and Frank on completing their respective races.  And to Larry and Wiley for listening to their bodies and knowing when to live to fight another day.

        Miles

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 8, 2009

          Will someone pick up my packet for me? We won’t be able to leave until after 4pm. L

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 8, 2009
            If you want I can Paige. I'm planning to be there for
            the trail briefing and dinner. My cell phone's
            281-635-3451 we're staying at the Cortez Ranch. If
            anybody else wants their packet picked up I'd be happy
            to do that for you.

            Lynnor Matheney

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 8, 2009
              Same here.  I'm already picking up packets, so I'd be happy to do the same.

              On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 9:03 AM, lynnor matheney <lillamb1997@...> wrote:

              If you want I can Paige. I'm planning to be there for
              the trail briefing and dinner. My cell phone's
              281-635-3451 we're staying at the Cortez Ranch. If
              anybody else wants their packet picked up I'd be happy
              to do that for you.

              Lynnor Matheney

              --- Paige Krekeler <pkrekeler@...> wrote:

              > Will someone pick up my packet for me? We won't be
              > able to leave until after
              > 4pm. L

            • Paige Krekeler
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 8, 2009

                Thanks Lynnor!

                I think it might be easier to get it from Miles since I know what he looks like. I don’t think I’ve ever actually met you.

                It might get tricky Saturday morning—me roaming around in the dark looking for someone I don’t know. J