Re:Sunmart - Litter Rant

  • Stuart Skeeter
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 10, 2007
      Mariela,

      Funny how each has their own perspective. I commented to Joe Prusaitis how
      this year's Sunmart appeared much cleaner than previous years. Much cleaner
      than Rocky Racoon last Feb, where the course looked as though it had been
      trampled by pigs. I did, as you note, observe an elite's discarded bottle
      and a handful of discarded gel packs. However, I thought there was much
      less of the paper cups littering the 100 yards or so out of an aid station
      that I've seen in previous years.

      That all said, I'm a big fan of a strict "no liter policy". I would've
      picked up every discarded cup.......if only I'd had the extra energy.

      Kudos to all that started this race....it took guts to run any of the 31 or
      50 miles.....or any distance in between.

      Here's to a speedy recovery and better vibes for Bandera.

      Stuart Skeeter
      Houston, TX
    • Stuart Skeeter
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 11, 2007
        I hope my previous post suggested I thought the litter I did see was somehow
        acceptable. Kudos to Mariela for actually following through and doing
        something about what we all observed as being a nasty, yet unnecessary, by
        product of an otherwise great race.

        On another note, did anyone happen to notice the lady with a 50-mile bib
        wearing TEVA sandals?!?!?!?! I know this was not a hallucination. Does
        anyone know who this was, why she was wearing sandals and/or if she actually
        finished? I saw her on the 2nd loop (i think), but didn't see her again.

        Stuart Skeeter
      • bob.i.botto@exxonmobil.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 11, 2007
          I've seen her before, yes. I've talked to her and she loves running in
          those sandals. She says that they are very comfortable. What do you think
          the indians ran in?

          Bob

          Bob Botto
          Analytical Services Laboratory
          Baytown Complex Laboratory Department
          5000 Bayway Dr. Baytown, Tx 77520
          Company Mail: CORP-BSL-103
          Phone: 281-834-5133
          Pager: 281-439-1300
          Fax: 281-834-1775
          Join the ExxonMobil Corporate Track & Field Team!

          "Stuart
          Skeeter"
          <runskeeter@co To
          mcast.net> <h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com>
          Sent by: cc
          h_t_rex@yahoog
          roups.com Subject
          [h_t_rex] Re:Sunmart - Litter Rant

          12/11/07 04:43
          PM

          Please respond
          h_t_rex@yahoog
          roups.com

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 11, 2007
            I saw the lady wearing sandals during my first loop
            but not again. I was intrigued, b/c I don't have the
            nerve to try that myself..I also saw a woman wearing
            long pants and long sleeve shirt during my 3rd loop.

            I also saw a massive snake slithering across the trail
            right in front of me, causing a scream to escape my
            throat which in turned loosened my bladder..

            I did not litter but I picked up some.

            Lynnor Matheney
          • Patrick McCartney
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 11, 2007

              I tried out a new pair of Montrail shoes at SunMart which have much more stability than I’m used to.  Now I have a nasty case of IT band syndrome.  I now believe that I would have been better off with the sandals.  They were probably much cheaper than my Montrails …

              Patrick McCartney

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 12, 2007
                Lynnor congratulations on your age group win at Sunmart!!!! Super run on a
                tough day!

                I saw all kinds of strange dress at the start. I hope those folks had the
                sense to take of the jackets etc. Did not see any wildlife though.

                Bob

                Bob Botto
                Analytical Services Laboratory
                Baytown Complex Laboratory Department
                5000 Bayway Dr. Baytown, Tx 77520
                Company Mail: CORP-BSL-103
                Phone: 281-834-5133
                Pager: 281-439-1300
                Fax: 281-834-1775
                Join the ExxonMobil Corporate Track & Field Team!

                lynnor
                matheney
                <lillamb1997@y To
                ahoo.co.uk> h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com
                Sent by: cc
                h_t_rex@yahoog
                roups.com Subject
                Re: [h_t_rex] Re:Sunmart - Litter
                Rant
                12/11/07 07:59
                PM

                Please respond
                h_t_rex@yahoog
                roups.com

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 12, 2007
                  Good morning Bob,

                  I don't know where they got those results b/c I didn't
                  make the cut off. I ran 3 loops in 9 hrs. It gave me a
                  chuckle, my teenagers definitely hooted, but I just
                  realized somebody who should've received an award
                  probably didn't. (and I didn't pick one up either!)

                  It takes me 10-12 hrs to run 50 miles, on an
                  auspicious day and if all the stars are correctly
                  aligned, fwiw. I'm pretty sure I didn't have a brain
                  fart, zone, forget how many loops I ran, I just don't
                  have a clue how I wound up in the results.

                  I had a great time though and hope to return next
                  year. I love seeing everybody. Each race brings a
                  little more knowledge about how I respond to stress.
                  Now I know snakes cause incontinence..

                  I didn't think the trail garbage was as bad as RR last
                  Feb but it was pretty apparent some folks just didn't
                  care.

                  cheers,
                  Lynnor

                • bob.i.botto@exxonmobil.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 12, 2007
                    Ok I guess they erred somehow. I'm sure Sylvie will be pleased. I met her
                    at the start. She is quite a character! Does not carry a bottle. Anyway I'm
                    glad you are OK and yes snakes and other scarey critters can make you pee
                    yourself. Anybody would!

                    Next year you will finish! Take care Lynnor!

                    Bob

                    Bob Botto
                    Analytical Services Laboratory
                    Baytown Complex Laboratory Department
                    5000 Bayway Dr. Baytown, Tx 77520
                    Company Mail: CORP-BSL-103
                    Phone: 281-834-5133
                    Pager: 281-439-1300
                    Fax: 281-834-1775
                    Join the ExxonMobil Corporate Track & Field Team!

                    lynnor
                    matheney
                    <lillamb1997@y To
                    ahoo.co.uk> h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com