Re: [h_t_rex] Sunmart

  • Kevin Outman
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 10, 2007
      Thanks for all the congrats. I agree with Mary that Saturday was a
      special day. There was also something pretty special about the
      determination that Mary showed when she headed back out for the 4th lap
      and made the cutoff.

      As for me, I was a bit surprised that I was there at all. My wife had
      been sick the week before and I was concerned about possibly catching
      her bug. On Thursday morning I woke with a sore throat and by afternoon
      felt pretty tired and weak. On Friday I felt a bit better, but not
      great. I thought about not even picking up the race packet, but decided
      to keep my options open. When I picked up the chip, I even asked how to
      return it just in case I didn't run.

      Fortunately, when I woke Saturday I felt pretty good again and decided
      to run. Later, when I was out running, I felt great!

      It was my first 50 miler and I made a number of planning (or lack
      thereof) errors, but overall I got lucky and everything came together
      just right. My hydration and nutrition worked out well. I think it was
      the first run of marathon or greater length that I didn't run out of gas
      at the end.

      During the downhills I heard Mariela's voice in my head saying "Don't
      waste a good downhill", so I didn't. During the early laps when I wanted
      to pick up the pace, I heard Miles' voice advising me to "resist the
      temptation". I managed the heat by dumping a cup of water on my head and
      neck at most every aid station. Given what others have said I probably
      shouldn't say this, but for me, the heat wasn't really a factor.

      Bottom line, I had a great day!

      Thanks to all. See you on the trails.....

      Kevin Outman

      Miles Klaff wrote:

      > Congratulations Mary and Kevin (and all of the rest of you too...)!
      >
      > Mary, that's the way to gut it out! You're nails! And just think, this
      > is now your 50 mile PR, which you will undoubtedly smash at your next 50
      > miler.
      >
      > Kevin, looking forward to hearing how you managed in that heat. All I
      > could think of Saturday was how glad I was that I wasn't out there. So
      > would have bailed after 3 (or maybe 2) loops! Great job.
      >
      > You guys get some rest & eat and drink well this week. Recovery is
      > really important after that kind of effort.
      >
      > Miles

    • Mary Ntefidou
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2008
        Hi Miles,
        Can you pick up the Sunmart packet tomorrow?
        If it is more convient to you don't bring the back to the race. I will only need the bib with pins and the chip.
        Meet at the HCTR tent? Or just leave the bib+chip to somebody there.

        Thank you,
        Mary