Rocky Raccoon

  • maria_ntefidou
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 1, 2007
      Hi fellow runners,

      what about to carpool on Saturday for the Rocky Raccoon?

      Mary
    • Michelle
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 1, 2007
        I'm up for car-pooling, but am not too comfortable taking people in my
        car since the "check engine" light is still on...anyone volunteering
        their car?

        We could meet at the MP tennis center at 5:30, get there at 6:30, run
        at 7:00.

        Michelle

        --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, "maria_ntefidou" <maria_ntefidou@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi fellow runners,
        >
        > what about to carpool on Saturday for the Rocky Raccoon?
        >
        > Mary

      • Mary Ntefidou
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 1, 2007
          I like to drive, but need driving directions from time to time. So, happy to take you but don't expect to get any sleep. Is 5:30 not to late?
          Mary

          wrote:

          > Hi fellow runners,
          >
          > what about to carpool on Saturday for the Rocky Raccoon?
          >
          > Mary

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Michelle
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 2, 2007
            5:30 is fine for me, but if you want we can meet at 5:15 at the
            tennis center to give you some extra time. I do 70 all the way up I-
            45, but if you prefer to go a little slower, a little extra time
            wouldn't hurt. I know the way as well, so don't worry about
            directions.

            So, 5:15 at the tennis center tomorrow morning?

            Michelle

            --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, Mary Ntefidou <maria_ntefidou@...>
            wrote:

            > I like to drive, but need driving directions from time to time. So,
            happy to take you but don't expect to get any sleep. Is 5:30 not to
            late?
            > Mary
            >
            > Michelle <mwolpert2002@...> wrote:
            > I'm up for car-pooling, but am not too comfortable taking
            people in my
            > car since the "check engine" light is still on...anyone
            volunteering
            > their car?
            >
            > We could meet at the MP tennis center at 5:30, get there at 6:30,
            run
            > at 7:00.
            >
            > Michelle
            >
            > --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com, "maria_ntefidou" <maria_ntefidou@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi fellow runners,
            > >
            > > what about to carpool on Saturday for the Rocky Raccoon?
            > >
            > > Mary

            > http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Mary Ntefidou
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 2, 2007
              Michelle and Denise,

              See you both at 5:15 at the tennis center.

              There is still space available if someone wants to join us.

              wrote:

              > I like to drive, but need driving directions from time to time. So,
              happy to take you but don't expect to get any sleep. Is 5:30 not to
              late?
              > Mary
              >
              > Michelle <mwolpert2002@ ...> wrote:
              > I'm up for car-pooling, but am not too comfortable taking
              people in my
              > car since the "check engine" light is still on...anyone
              volunteering
              > their car?
              >
              > We could meet at the MP tennis center at 5:30, get there at 6:30,
              run
              > at 7:00.
              >
              > Michelle
              >
              > --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups .com, "maria_ntefidou" <maria_ntefidou@ >
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi fellow runners,
              > >
              > > what about to carpool on Saturday for the Rocky Raccoon?
              > >
              > > Mary

              > Do You Yahoo!?
              > http://mail. yahoo.com

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Wayne Kehr
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 2, 2007
                Hi, my first trail event, doing 25K. Since I'll be starting and probably leaving later, would like to follow the group up if okay.

                Wayne

                wrote:

                > I like to drive, but need driving directions from time to time. So,
                happy to take you but don't expect to get any sleep. Is 5:30 not to
                late?
                > Mary
                >
                > Michelle <mwolpert2002@ ...> wrote:
                > I'm up for car-pooling, but am not too comfortable taking
                people in my
                > car since the "check engine" light is still on...anyone
                volunteering
                > their car?
                >
                > We could meet at the MP tennis center at 5:30, get there at 6:30,
                run
                > at 7:00.
                >
                > Michelle
                >
                > --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups .com, "maria_ntefidou" <maria_ntefidou@ >
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi fellow runners,
                > >
                > > what about to carpool on Saturday for the Rocky Raccoon?
                > >
                > > Mary

                > Do You Yahoo!?
                > http://mail. yahoo.com

                Do You Yahoo!?
                http://mail. yahoo.com

                http://mail.yahoo.com

              • Wenner Denise
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 2, 2007
                  Mary and Michelle,

                  Great--see you both then!

                  Denise

                  wrote:

                  > I like to drive, but need driving directions from time to time. So,
                  happy to take you but don't expect to get any sleep. Is 5:30 not to
                  late?
                  > Mary
                  >
                  > Michelle <mwolpert2002@ ...> wrote:
                  > I'm up for car-pooling, but am not too comfortable taking
                  people in my
                  > car since the "check engine" light is still on...anyone
                  volunteering
                  > their car?
                  >
                  > We could meet at the MP tennis center at 5:30, get there at 6:30,
                  run
                  > at 7:00.
                  >
                  > Michelle
                  >
                  > --- In h_t_rex@yahoogroups .com, "maria_ntefidou" <maria_ntefidou@ >
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi fellow runners,
                  > >
                  > > what about to carpool on Saturday for the Rocky Raccoon?
                  > >
                  > > Mary

                  > Do You Yahoo!?
                  > http://mail. yahoo.com

                  Do You Yahoo!?
                  http://mail. yahoo.com

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                • opher10101
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 28, 2008
                    All,

                    I will be attempting to run my first 100m at rocky raccoon this
                    weekend. I was told it would probably be a wise to have a pacer, for
                    mental reason. I have no idea what my time will be or if I will
                    finish. If you or anybody you know would like to enjoy a stroll
                    through Huntsville state park this weekend please let me know. Any
                    distance would be greatly appreciated.

                    Chris
                  • bob.i.botto@exxonmobil.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 28, 2008
                      It's a lot more fun with pacers I assure you!

                      Bob

                      Bob Botto
                      Analytical Services Laboratory
                      Baytown Complex Laboratory Department
                      5000 Bayway Dr. Baytown, Tx 77520
                      Company Mail: CORP-BSL-103
                      Phone: 281-834-5133
                      Pager: 281-439-1300
                      Fax: 281-834-1775
                      Join the ExxonMobil Corporate Track & Field Team!

                      "opher10101"
                      <opher101@gmai
                      l.com> To
                      Sent by: h_t_rex@yahoogroups.com
                      h_t_rex@yahoog cc
                      roups.com
                      Subject
                      [h_t_rex] Rocky Raccoon
                      01/28/08 02:54
                      PM

                      Please respond
                      h_t_rex@yahoog
                      roups.com

                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 4, 2008
                        Wow.  Not sure I've had enough time to reflect (or sleep) yet, but here goes - try to get it in all one post.  First, the "thank yous."

                        Chris and Misty (my incomparable crew & pacers):  as I've already told you, it was just a pleasure to share the day (and night.  and day) with y'all.  Your company & enthusiasm as pacers made the bad patches shorter and the good patches longer.  I honestly don't think I could have done it without you guys.  And, even if I could have, it woulda sucked a lot...  Thanks.

                        Joe P & everyone who volunteered:  Whenever the question comes up about wanting to try a trail race from someone new to sport, my first answer is:  "Do a Joe P. race."  First-rate in every way.  Always.  And the volunteers were uniformly excellent.  Just a few quick "off the top of my head" awards:  (1) Best meat product:  Paige's meatloaf (Loop 3) - it was rocket fuel.  Paige's meatloaf on Loop 4, well, that's a completely different story.  (2) Best sandwich:  fresh-off-the-grill grilled cheese at Far Side on Loop 4 (one of those times when a food and a moment in life are in perfect sync).  (3) Best improvisational food:  Mariela's pre-packaged donut/slice of american cheese/half an advocado/cup of coke 4:50 a.m. smorgasbord - the thought of it now makes me want to hurl (loud, like Richard), but at the time it was the perfect combination of quick- and slow-burning fuel, and enough to get me to Dam Road, which brings me to (5) Best motivational phrase:  Lynn Ballard at Dam Road (mile 93):  "Get up and go get your belt buckle."  I've never met Lynn, but watching him work on runners through the night was exceptional - part triage nurse, part shrink, part motivational speaker - just phenomenal.

                        A few TREX acknowledgments (in no particular order):

                        Mariela:  You're the TREX "fearless leader" for a reason.  Can't tell you how many Mariela "tips" I've stored away in the mental library (most of which I "checked out" at some point this weekend).  About a mile before coming in to Highway on Loop 5, I kept thinking "man, I hope Mariela's there.  She'll know what I need."  And you did.

                        Kim:  funny how one little throw-away phrase can stick.  Couple of weeks ago, you told me "you're physically strong enough.  It's all mental."  That really helped me to let go of my concerns about undertraining & such, and focus on the things that would keep my mind right.  Plus, your suggestion about setting up a tent near the Lodge was fantastic!  Congrats on your finish - it was always a happy time for me to cross paths with you out there.

                        Larry:  Not to get all sappy, but you're a walking (running, actually) inspiration.  Plus, doing the 50 miler & fighting off sleep to work the aid station afterwards, that just goes above and beyond.

                        Richard:  In all seriousness, I was nearly as happy to see you finish than I was to finish myself.  I'll second Larry's comment about missing your company out on the trails.  It was a pleasure to share this first 100 with you (both in training and execution).  On a less serious note, when I was suffering my own patches of nausea Sat night/Sun morning, your epic wretching (heard by humans and forest creatures throughout the park, no doubt) made me feel better, in a misery-loves-company sort of way.  And Mariela's command to you to "stop your f-ing puking and get your ass moving!" made me feel lucky to have my own coddling pacers.  (okay, so those weren't Mariela's exact words...).

                        Other congrats:

                        Wiley:  I kept telling you to "slow down," but you didn't listen!  Good thing, too.  Bandera vindication is sweeeeet.

                        Lynnor:  I know that late in the game, my passing acknowledgements were less "Way to go, Lynnor" than "grunt, grunt," but I had little doubt that you'd gut it out.  And, boy, I hear you about the feet - pain on a whole different level for the last 7 miles.

                        Kevin:  I never told you that it would be an easy 50, only that you'd crush your Sunmart time.  And I suspect you did!  Was good to shuffle across the spillway and chat a bit on Saturday.

                        Jose:  so good to see you out there.  Crossing paths & seeing the focus on your face, I never had any doubt that you had this one in the bag.

                        A few final observations / reflections:

                        Loop 4 at FarSide - watching as the volunteers laid out a blanket and told a rather attractive female runner to "take a nap" and they'd wake her up in 10 minutes.  I made some comment about how good that looked & they suggested (in all seriousness) that I could lie down next to her.  How beat was I?  So beat that not so much as a single impure thought crossed my mind...

                        Overhearing a runner describe his bout with diarrhea to Catra Corbett in exceeding detail, who listened with great interest.  A lengthy discussion of diarrhea control ensued.  Is there another sport so obsessed with bodily functions?  I think not.

                        Frogs.  Loud frogs.  Thousands of loud frogs.  Louder than The Who on my iPod...

                        Deer running across the trail late in the afternoon...

                        Telling myself that I'd NEVER do this again and then soaking in the tub later the same day, thinking, "If I cut down on my time at the aid stations and did more power walking, I know I can cut an hour or more off my time, easy."  Addiction's a bi*ch.

                      • Karen andor Richard
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 4, 2008

                          Huge congratulations Miles - apparently you're right, you don't need no "stinking plan", except of course for next year to improve your time ;)

                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 4, 2008
                            --- Miles Klaff <becsdad96@...> wrote:

                            >>>A lengthy discussion of diarrhea control ensued<<<

                            I'm dying laughing here, I wish I would've been in on
                            this., I was so plagued with butt problems throughout
                            RR100, and never anywhere near a portapotty, oh
                            no...after the 3rd round it got dark so not much
                            concern about being seen but Juli Aistars and another
                            runner named Mary from NJ and I were just discussing
                            critters in the woods, bears and alligators..and off I
                            went for another tree visit when I heard a rustle
                            behind me, stood up, yanking my shorts up as fast I
                            could, lost my balance and was practically impaled by
                            a pole (maybe a boat docking pole, I don't know, it
                            was pretty random seeing this iron pole in the middle
                            of nowhere)..it was so funny, if somebody had seen
                            this I'm sure they would've peed themselves laughing..

                            Lynnor Matheney
                          • Karen andor Richard
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 4, 2008
                              Lynnor, this is totally hilarious, thanks for sharing... no doubt
                              though at the time it wasn't at all funny :)
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 4, 2008
                                Great recap!
                                Congratulations on your first 100M and to everyone else who
                                participated!
                                Also a big thanks to those who volunteered (official THANK YOU coming
                                soon!).

                                I'm glad I was of help and made you appreciate your pacers ;-)
                                It was great seeing you out there working hard...R and I tried to save
                                you from the couple you were with on the long bridge....We could hear
                                her talking a long way away before reaching you guys.

                                Looking forward to hearing more details (not gory) later!
                                Mariela
                              • Ann
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 8, 2009
                                  THANKS to all the volunteers for a great aid station on Saturday! You all made the race!
                                • Korona, Adam
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 3, 2010

                                    Good Luck to all running RR this weekend!  Looks like it’s going to be an awesome day for a trail run!  Then again, what day is actually a bad day for a trail run :)

                                    Rock on and enjoy the trail!

                                    Adam

                                  • Nathan Jackson
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 3, 2010
                                      15:00 just after a rain storm with 100% humidity in the middle of August sounds relatively unpleasant.

                                      Nathan Jackson

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Feb 6, 2011
                                        Hi everyone,
                                        I moved to Houston last spring and recently found the HTREX group online. I have to say y'all had the best aid station. I could always hear when I was getting close, which is great because the stretch between DamNation and Park Road seems so long. Everyone was so helpful. I ran the 100 last year, and the story was the same (even in the wee hours of Sunday morning). Hopefully, next year when I run the 100 again I'll know a few of you by name and face. Thank you for volunteering and all your help!
                                        Jennifer Frahm
                                      • Bill Haecker
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Feb 6, 2011
                                          I ran with Jennifer for 20+ miles yesterday and must say she is a real class act; very helpful and super nice. Thank you Jennifer for getting me off to great start to my first 50 mile finish (11:35:??).

                                          Bill Haecker

                                          On Feb 6, 2011, at 12:10 PM, "jenilf33" <jenilf@...> wrote:

                                          Hi everyone,
                                          I moved to Houston last spring and recently found the HTREX group online. I have to say y'all had the best aid station. I could always hear when I was getting close, which is great because the stretch between DamNation and Park Road seems so long. Everyone was so helpful. I ran the 100 last year, and the story was the same (even in the wee hours of Sunday morning). Hopefully, next year when I run the 100 again I'll know a few of you by name and face. Thank you for volunteering and all your help!
                                          Jennifer Frahm

                                        • kykendahl88_1
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Feb 9, 2011
                                            Also want to thank Mariela and Miles. The aid station was like an oasis in the dessert. I was a first time 50 miler, had no idea how incredibly important the aid stations were, at shorter distances, not important. But on the 50 miler, the dream of making it to the next station was sometimes all that kept alive the hope of finishing. Everything I thought about was in relation to how far it was to the next stop. What time it would be, how much I needed energy and fluids. And anticipating the welcome sights and sounds of people. thsnk you, and the other volunteers, so much.

                                            About the race. There were so many friendly people. Hundreds and hundreds of great job messages, virtually every runner who passed. And many wanting to know if you were okay, anything you need?

                                            The 50 mile course itself is a wonderful experience. Has a little of ever kind of terrain. Very easy to run, the loops so well planned that it was never boring, there was always something to anticipate around the next corner. I wish everyone who runs marathons would, at least once, run an ultra.