g y p s y j a z z g u i t a r Re: Romane : Gypsy Jazz's Greatest Ambassad...

  • rogerbaxter2000
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1 1:09 AM
      Stuart,

      I do not always agree with your views but, on this one, you are 100%
      right

      Roger

    • GYPSYGUITARS@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1 3:17 AM
        interesting discourse on "arpeggio-itis" & how much you detest the style of
        modern players like Stochelo 'n' Jimmy Rosenberg, Stu BUT i believe i was
        writing mostly about Romane...
      • carterobrien
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1 6:53 AM
          I think it should be taken for granted in an Internet group of this
          size that once you throw a phrase like "the greatest fill-in-the-
          blank" ANYthing, you can expect that people are going to react & that
          many will feel differently.

          If people are uncomfortable about other's reactions to their
          opinions, then posting on a public forum (where everyone is by design
          being encouraged to respond) is perhaps not the best move.

          And I do NOT mean this as a note to you personally, Bo, this seems to
          pop up quite a bit in this group and in many others I've seen so I
          think it's fair game to remind people who might be new to this style
          of communication or are not very thick skinned that you are sharing
          your opinions with ALL of the 700+ people on the list -

          From time to time I see the posts of the people crying that this
          place is not for conversation but is merely for sharing information
          on guitars, and material aspects of music, and to that I simply say
          read a book. None of the information we share here was invented by
          the "Internet", if you really want information on CDs, gutars etc.,
          just go to a search engine and type what you're looking for. It's
          that easy.

          What these groups are for, IMO, is for conversation & sharing- to
          bring people together who didn't know each other and to share
          knowledge & opinions. If you want to argue with someone, "take it
          outside" as your parents probably used to say & do it via private e-
          mails.

          my final 2 pesos on the "ambassador" concept is still that far and
          away Django is the greatest, period. There's no doubt that Romane
          all the other great folks putting out materials (not to mention the
          working musicians that play this stuff every day and share it with
          new audiences) are helping many of us, myself certianly included, but
          I still suspect that the vast majority of us heard Django first and
          then went from there. Django will always be the master of impeccable
          musical phrasing and note selection, and also an incredible master of
          leaving space in just the right spaces to create tension & excitement
          in the music. Django may be dead but his music is very much alive-
          all I have to do is put on the record, which is exactly what I do
          when someone asks me if I have any of this music they have heard
          about called "gypsy jazz" - I don't play them an instructional video!

          Carter

          --- In gypsyjazzguitar@y..., GYPSYGUITARS@A... wrote:
          > interesting discourse on "arpeggio-itis" & how much you detest the
          style of
          > modern players like Stochelo 'n' Jimmy Rosenberg, Stu BUT i believe
          i was
          > writing mostly about Romane...
        • stublag
          Message 4 of 9 , May 1 2:36 PM
            --- In gypsyjazzguitar@y..., "rogerbaxter2000" <rogersbaxter@t...>
            wrote:
            > Stuart,
            >
            > I do not always agree with your views but, on this one, you are
            >100%
            > right
            >
            > Roger

            Roger
            I do not always agree with your views but,on this one,you are
            100% right
            Kind regards --Oh wise one!
            Stu

            PS-just teasing :-)
          • jovation
            Message 5 of 9 , May 1 2:54 PM
              --- In gypsyjazzguitar@y..., "carterobrien" <carterobrien@y...> wrote:
              > my final 2 pesos on the "ambassador" concept is still that far and
              > away Django is the greatest, period.

              Carter, if I may comment here, I don't think Bo was considering
              Django as an option in defining his "ambassador". The way I
              read his note, he had meant to imply the best living representative
              to foster and spread Gypsy Jazz. BTW, I happen to agree with
              Bo's opinion. Consider the means by which "Impair and Valse"
              was packaged..for the price of a CD, you get the sheet music
              and jam tracks to several Musette Waltzes.

              When he was alive, the United States had commissioned Louis
              Armstrong effectively as an ambassador to Jazz..if Bo were
              in charge for such programs in France today, he would appoint
              Msr. Leguidcoq in much the same way. A excellent choice, IMO.....

              Jimmy
            • Francois Rousseau
              Message 6 of 9 , May 1 5:36 PM
                Funny,

                from my point of view, when you own hundreds of Gipsy Jazz CDs Romane's CDs
                gather the dust...i guess it's a matter of perspective.

                I was lucky enough to see him play on many many occasions and I'll confess to
                the group, one show with Angelo or Stochelo is worth 10 Romane's..

                I sound like I'm bashing him, but if he was there in front of me I'd be direct
                about it and I believe he'd agree...he's not stupid...

                as you can see I'm not talking about his teaching material...

                Fro

                GYPSYGUITARS@... wrote:

                > interesting discourse on "arpeggio-itis" & how much you detest the style of
                > modern players like Stochelo 'n' Jimmy Rosenberg, Stu BUT i believe i was
                > writing mostly about Romane...
                >

                > Email>webmaster@...
                > Website>www.gypsyjazzguitar.com
                > Club>http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/gypsyjazzguitar

              • carterobrien
                Message 7 of 9 , May 2 7:58 AM
                  I think you're right Jimmy, I was thinking of the "ambassador" tag
                  with the idea of introducing this music to non-musicians, I think Bo
                  was speaking for on behalf of the music/ guitar playing community, so
                  I think we have one of those win-win situations! I doubt any of us
                  would be unhappy if we happened to stumble into a bar featuring ANY of
                  the fantastic people who play this music.

                  p.s.- the best part about having a guitar worth more than your car is
                  that it is very unlikely anyone will ever break into your trunk - a
                  BIG plus, at least here in the city!

                  Carter

                  -proud owner of a Dell Arte & a 1989 Honda Civic slowly rusting into
                  infinity!