Re: [gypsyjazzguitar] RIP Chet Atkins - 1924 - 2001

  • J.Palmer
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2001
      Thank you Ted,

      for the obituary by Jim Patterson...

      Chet once said that Django was the only man whose autograph he wanted. He
      was talking about a time when Django was playing in New York and Chet "hung
      around" the back stage to meet him.

      Chet was ahead of his time, of his time and for all time...a true original,
      a players player.

      John P.
    • Jimmy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2001
        --- In gypsyjazzguitar@y..., "Ted Gottsegen" <tgottsegen@h...> wrote:
        > He was a fan of Django's and a true gift to the instrument. He will
        > be missed:

        Chet had that technique in which he could play harmonized lines,
        one of the notes being a harmonic that just floored me. And
        while most people know about the influence from Elvis, Buddy
        Holly, and Little Richard for McCartney and Lennon from
        the Beatles, look how much Chet influenced them as well through
        George Harrison.

        I heard "Tears" first from Chet,(in the guitar friendly key
        of Amin), but otherwise cannot say that I know much of his
        material as I don't own much music. However, one evening
        on the radio, listening to "Truckin' Bozo" (an overnight
        radio program geared towards truckers, heard on the 50,000
        watt US radio stations), I heard a beautiful Atkins instrumental,
        of which I am still trying to find the title to get a copy.
        I can't very well hum you the melody, the chord progression of
        the melody was F to Fmin, to C, to Gaug, to C, played
        over a shuffle beat, and sounded somewhat like "I'll See You In
        My Dreams". I had heard it on the radio before, so I assume
        it was a "hit" for him. I am curious if there are any Chet
        Atkins fans in this group that may know the song I am referring
        to. Thanks.

        Jimmy

        somewhat like
      • bwilkins@ctel.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2, 2001
          Wow!!! A sad day!

          Thanks for including the Obit on Chet; I learned it here first.

          The loss of a huge talent. Always a real favorite of mine -- at
          least when he was not doing the schmaltzy, hokey, commercial stuff.
          Far and away my favorite album was the duet he recorded with the
          late, great Lenny Breau. Truly beautiful playing by both of them.
          Their work on "Polkadots & Moonbeams" can make you weep. Check it
          out, if you don't know of it.

          Bruce