Re: GJG Members Newsletter Student looking for a nice used gypsy guitar

  • Phillip Murray
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 20, 2010
      You can see several GJ guitars that are worth the money on eBay.  I've purchased two Gitane's - a D hole and the 255M and both were terrific both for less than 500.  I sold the D hole after a quack hack messed up the bridge, but it was a great sounding  and playing guitar that had the fret marker on the 9th fret where us western guitar players are used to seeing.
      I got the 255M and that 10th fret marker (like most GJ guitars) really threw me for some reason.  I play an electric in the morning when I practice, with the 9th fret marker, and switching back and forth was, embarrassing to say, confusing me.  So I sold the 255M and got a Dell Arte oval hole (Asian) with a 9th fret marker.  LOVE IT.  Paid around 500.
      Sounds sweet and after a visit to a real guitar tech it plays like butter.
      Now back to practice.....

      * Phillip Murray
      *
      dotneck@...
      * Fort Myers, Florida

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 20, 2010
        Thanks so much to those who replied! I just picked up a very nice used Gallato guitar. It's not a D hole, but for under $500, it was tough to beat. I'm enjoying it immensely and can't believe what a difference it makes to be playing on a gypsy guitar instead of a classical.

        Here's to my next steps in this musical journey. Cheers!