Re: GJG Members Newsletter Re: Lehman Guitar

  • MAYMOK@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 31, 2009
      Thanks for the info! Much appreciated-
      wil

      In a message dated 10/30/2009 1:28:23 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, Djangonut@... writes:

      I happen to live in the same community as Bernie. An acquaintance of mine has a Lehman  guitar. We had a gathering a couple years ago of Django fans where each others guitar could be shared and compared. The Lehman example was the best of the lot for the correct tone and great playability. I have a Brazilian Rosewood Dupont that sad to say was not as satisfying as  Bernie's guitar. He has altered the internal bracing from what would be the "Selmer" standard but without any negative results. The addition of the upper bout sound port is a wonderful feature, again without ill effects. It really helps the player to hear the guitar better. The use of his own ideas on some of the cosmetic features including the tailpiece may take it from the realm "Selmer Look-a-Likes" but may contribute to the sound produced.

      --- In gypsyjazzguitar@yahoogroups.com, "tooth1955" <tooth1955@...> wrote:

      > I've only had my hands on one and it was a real beauty/great player. Worth every dime.
      >
      > --- In gypsyjazzguitar@yahoogroups.com, MAYMOK@ wrote:
      > >

      > > A question for the gypsy players out there -
      > > Can anyone tell me about Bernie Lehman's guitars? Anyone have one? How do
      > > they play, sound, rate hold up, etc.?
      > > Any info would be appreciated.
      > >
      > > wil
      > >

      > > _2004  BERNIE LEHMANN CUSTOM ECLIPSE GYPSY JAZZ GUITAR - eBay (item
      > > 170396027134 end  time Nov-17-09 03:49:43 PST)_
      > > (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170396027134&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          mailto:gypsyjazzguitar-digest@yahoogroups.com
          mailto:gypsyjazzguitar-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Peter D
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 6, 2009
        If anyone wants to dip a toe into the world of hybridised SelMacs,
        the Really Useful Music company in the UK that sells very inexpensive
        Chinese-made models. They have pin bridges, modified ladder bracing
        and Lehmann-style soundports. I've got one, the tone is punchy but not as nasal as a classic Selmer style.

        http://tinyurl.com/ydplxea
      • Courtney Holmes
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 12, 2010
          Hello Group!

          I am searching for Robin Nolan's Gypsy Jazz Songbook and Play Along CD Volume 1 with Minor Swing, Dark Eyes, Djanolology and Sweet Ga Brown that was put out a few years back. It is no longer available in stores so I am looking for an old copy. Anybody got one?

          Thanks, Holmes
        • Phillip Murray
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 12, 2010
            You can find it here:
            http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/ecom-prodshow/nolan_1.html

            *********************************
            * Phillip Murray
            *
            dotneck@...
            * Fort Myers, Florida
            *********************************

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 13, 2010
              Actually I was looking for the out of print licks book with the licks for minor swing, sweet georgia brown, and dark eyes!
              Its not available on the Djangobooks site.

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 13, 2010
                Vol 1 seems to be available direct from Robin. Vol 2 doesn't show. Nor do 5 & 6.

                I have Vols 1, 2, 4 & Licks. Would be willing to trade for 3,5,6. Or perhaps just sell.

                Also have other material I'll part with but don't have a list as yet.

                Email offgroup if interested.

                Alan
                altroupe@...

                --- In gypsyjazzguitar@yahoogroups.com, Courtney Holmes <cryanholmes1@...> wrote:

                > Hello Group!
                >
                > I am searching for Robin Nolan's Gypsy Jazz Songbook and Play Along CD
                > Volume 1 with Minor Swing, Dark Eyes, Djanolology and Sweet Ga Brown that
                > was put out a few years back. It is no longer available in stores so I am
                > looking for an old copy. Anybody got one?
                >
                > Thanks, Holmes

              • Rodney Buckle
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 13, 2010
                  Go to Robins website and contact him I'm sure he'll be able to supply one.
                  Cheers
                  Rod
                • altroupe
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 14, 2010
                    And that particular book seems to be the elusive one. Only in print for a short time and replaced by Essential Licks vol. 1, not vol. 2 as one would surmise. Good luck! I think there are several of us who wouldn't mind finding a copy.

                    Interestingly, that item is shown on Djangobooks site:

                    http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/ecom-prodshow/nolan_licks.html

                    but shows Out Of Stock. The cover and song listing are completely different from my vol. 1. Since the titles are so similar I would be surprised if the Gypsy Jazz Licks book were reprinted.

                    What I do know is that Robin's material has always been overpriced, even when the dollar was stronger. I was willing to pay a premium when the dollar was worth more than a euro because it was printed and mailed from Europe but paying $60 for a 40-page book is a little over the top. In comparison, Horowitz's Gypsy Picking book is 280-pages, wire bound, also very nice paper, with three cd's, and sells for $65. Robin has also kept tight control of his cd distribution thereby limiting, in my opinion, his U.S. market. But maybe that's the way he likes it.

                    However, the more I listen to RNT the more I like Robin's distinctive style. He does some pretty nifty picking.

                    Sunday musings,
                    Alan