Re: Anyone tried these picks from Dunlop

  • Archtop Eddy
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2008
      Thanks MHH for your response to my response about Wegen picks. Picks are usually so
      cheap it's often hard to fathom why one might cost $20. I just wanted other folks on the
      group to understand there are reasons why Wegens cost so much. As for concern about
      the loss-factor…

      A few years ago I was playing back-to-back gigs at two local restaurants. After the gig, I
      rushed from restaurant 1 to restaurant 2, and upon setting up for the second gig, I noticed
      I lost my Wegen pick. To the surprise of my band mates, I immediately got in my car and
      drove back to the first restaurant. I knew if I waited until the second gig was over, I'd
      probably never see that pick again. I rushed into restaurant 1 and there was the gleaming
      white Wegen nestled under a nearby table.

      Later, when I went to Samois, I discovered that my favorite Wegen pick was gone. I knew
      the last time I'd seen it was at the Paris airport when I checked my guitar to make sure it
      had survived the trip. The pick made its way all the way to France, but somehow got Iost it
      in the thirty miles to Samois. I can still remember seeing that pick when I check on it at
      the airport. I've had other picks but I still recall that Wegen with a special fondness.

      With this said, I understand the concern about losing an expensive Wegen pick. But in the
      long run – at least in my case – it was not about the money; it was about the pick. I have
      used, and still use many cheaper picks including some great Dunlop picks. But even to
      this day, I won't head out a door to an important gig without first checking my pocket for
      a Wegen. Even if I don't use it that night, it makes me comfortable knowing that I have a
      Wegen on me.

      I hope these new Dunlops prove to be a viable inexpensive alternative. And since you are
      an admitted Wegen fan, I truly look forward to your assessment of the new Dunlops. For
      me, I'm a creature of habit – even with a brand-new Dunlop, I bet I'll still have a Wegen
      close at hand.

      AE