Re: GJG Members Newsletter A hard sell for DFNW 07

  • Matt Mitchell
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
      Perhaps the possible decline in Gypsy Jazz interest here in the
      United States in the past few years is to blame.
      There has been a strong trend in 'jazz festivals' in the past 30
      years to include music related to, but essentially outside the jazz
      world. Its gotten to the point, due to the steady decline in interest
      in jazz over the years, where most jazz festvals have much less than
      50% jazz content (by my reckoning - no 'what is jazz, anyway'
      discussions, please).
      I measure the decline, in part, by the order of magnatude drop in
      posts in most gypsy jazz forums. But I hear that DjangoFEST NW is
      bigger than ever, in terms of people attending...
      Wasn't there a peak in the scene (festival attendance, book and cd
      sales, guitar sales) a few years ago?
      Any thoughts..?

      p.s. i dont want to get down on the scene at all. I'm betting/hoping
      it's going to get even more popular than before!

      --- In gypsyjazzguitar@yahoogroups.com, "T.Hughes" <redguitar76@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Phil
      > I have been hearing about this thru the grapevine so to speak.
      > At least on the subject of Larry Coryell he is quite capable with
      django's repetorie!
      > He recorded a record of Djangos tunes with Stephane Grapelli and
      Phillip Catherine in late 70's. A fine record.
      > I hope he does the festival justice he is great player.
      > His recent projects such as trycycles is first rate.
      > I saw him play often in the 70's i am glad he fell off the fusion
      trip!
      > I hope he gives you all a great show and tribute to Reinhardt!
      > Best
      > Tony Hughes

      However,
      > while encouraging others to attend I'm hearing reservations, from
      > quite a few folk, about this year's line up: the lack of a major
      GJ
      > headliner seems to be making some folk out there have second
      > thoughts.
      >
      > The past 4 years DFNW has been graced with the presence of:
      > 2003 - Angelo Debarre, Serge Camps, Patrick Saussois
      > 2004 - Angelo Debarre, Ferre Bros, Tim Kliphuis
      > 2005 - Samson Schmitt, Patrick Saussois
      > 2006 - Tchavolo, Dorado and Samson
      >
      > The absence of a major GJ headliner in the 2007 line up, makes
      the
      > 2007 line up look a bit slim in comparison; especially as on it's
      > home page DFNW promotes itself as "The premier "Gypsy Jazz"
      festival
      > in the western hemisphere". This has left some folk baffled at
      the
      > presence of Dan Hicks and Larry Coryell. Great musicians in their
      own
      > right, but Gypsy Jazz musicians? I haven't heard Hicks or Coryell
      > recently, what are they upto nowadays?
      >
      > What do others think? ~ Cheers Phil

    • Jarmo Paukkunen
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
        Re: SUSPECT: Re: GJG Members Newsletter A hard sell for DFNW 07 Hey Matt,

        Not sure that there is reliable data on actual attendance or at least planned attendance at Djangofest NW. Certainly there has been an expansion in total number of seats available. Whether those seats are filled or butt-less remains to be seen. Anecdotal evidence on the fall of in attendance at Djangofest San Francisco is abundant.

        I agree that the number of posts on Yahoo has seen a dramatic decline in the last 2 years.

        WRT festival content ... Well I moi-self personally bore the brunt of the ire of many protagonists here for suggesting that DFNW content well basically sucked. Using your formula we have 50% jazz and using my formula 50% of that is gypsy jazz. Let’s add in a few points for promoter greed and we have well 25% + greed_factor gypsy jazz.

        Like you I love this music and hope for its every success, and so I genuinely hope I am wrong and DFNW is a big hit.

        --- In gypsyjazzguitar@yahoogroups.com <mailto:gypsyjazzguitar%40yahoogroups.com> , "T.Hughes" <redguitar76@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Phil
        > I have been hearing about this thru the grapevine so to speak.
        > At least on the subject of Larry Coryell he is quite capable with
        django's repetorie!
        > He recorded a record of Djangos tunes with Stephane Grapelli and
        Phillip Catherine in late 70's. A fine record.
        > I hope he does the festival justice he is great player.
        > His recent projects such as trycycles is first rate.
        > I  saw him play often in the 70's i am glad he fell off the fusion
        trip!
        > I hope he gives you all a great show and tribute to Reinhardt!
        > Best
        > Tony Hughes

        Regards,

        Jarmo
        +1 425 260 2219 jarmop@...

      • Don
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2007
          My friends,

          As GJG creator and webmaster I can assure you that
          having Larry Coryell attend the Django Fest NW is
          directly in the historic line of Gypsy Jazz (an
          American term we helped popularize). The history
          of Jazz Manouche includes not only Django Reinhardt,
          but also Stephane Grapelli and others. As Phil pointed
          out, Coryell recorded a record with Stephane Grapelli and
          Phillip Catherine in late 70's. So if anyone is wondering
          how to make the connection between mainstream jazz and the
          jazz of Django, they need look no further. Coryell stands
          in the historic link between European Jazz and American Jazz
          as does Bireli Lagrene who also played with Stephane AND Larry.

          The American and European Jazz styles come together in players
          who have learned from and share the similarities between the
          two Continental developments. There are European players who
          are growing from listening and learning from American Jazz players.
          Likewise, their are American players who are now learning from the
          original artists in the European Jazz Manouche styles, myself
          included (LOL).

          So the point here is not a PR stunt, but rather to encourage the
          listener (or player) to explore the full scope of Jazz history,
          which includes the Django/Grapelli contribution, and of course is
          the focus of this group. Hence, anyone who had the opportunity to
          learn from these masters is worthy of listen in my opinion.

          I think we need to avoid the hype of using just anyone on the line
          up to get ticket sales, but if the goal is to increase the knowledge
          and availability of Jazz Manouche, then we can welcome anyone who
          wants to share in this experience. I know I do!

          Allow me to put forth a small disclaimer at this juncture. When I
          heard of Nick Lehr's first Djangofest, I created this e-group and
          the GYPSYJAZZGUITAR website to offer a central meeting place for
          people curious about this music. Although I never played Djangofest
          I wanted everyone to know about it. This is, of course, an American
          Event that International players attend, but the public here does not
          know as much as those in Europe know about this Music. That is way
          we want to boost attendance. I say "we" only because I am a sponsor
          of Djangofest, but I get no money (Hey Nick, book my band!) LOL

          So let me end this little speech by saying thanks to all of you who
          have joined this group and atend ANY (yes any)of the concerts where
          such music is happening (you know who you are!).

          I am pleased we have almost 3000 members international on this group,
          and devotees that attend every concert they can, plus jam whenever
          and wherever.

          YOU ARE THE HEART that keeps the beat of this music.

          Stay strong my friends!!

          ~Don
          gypsyjazzguitar.com