Music Notation--Help!

  • Bill Parmentier
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2006
      Hello all,

      Okay, I have never been trained in any classical way
      and largely have picked up what music theory I know
      from reading, etc. My wife plays flute and I'm now
      trying to transcribe Nuages for her so we can play it
      together. I've always thought it was in the key of G
      (which gives only an F#) but that is just because that
      was where the chord seemed to resolve to.

      Because of the chromatic beginning though, I'm getting
      confused with some of the accidentals. The first part
      of the head starts out with 3 beats of a pickup and
      then ends up on the first measure with a dotted half
      note F. The beginning chord underneath is Bb-7.

      In G maj, that F would be a b7 but if it were G minor
      (Bb major) then that F would be in the very
      comfortable 5 position which would make sense to me.

      So am I correct in saying Nuages is then in G minor?
      I note that other chords in the song are Eb7 and A-7b5
      which would fit nicely in Bb Major (G minor) but then
      there is E-and F#-7b5 which I think fit better in G
      major.

      Sorry if anyone else's head is spinning over all this
      theory. Anyone willing to take a stab at explaining
      which key I should note on the staff to make the
      transcription easiest and also correct? Is there also
      a key change in the B part where the melody seems to
      raise?

      I greatly appreciate the help.
      Thanks,
      A very confused Bill

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Mark Klan
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2006
        Bill Parmentier wrote:
        > Okay, I have never been trained in any classical way
        > and largely have picked up what music theory I know
        > from reading, etc. My wife plays flute and I'm now
        > trying to transcribe Nuages for her so we can play it
        > together. I've always thought it was in the key of G
        {snip}

        It's in the key of G Major (one sharp). As in most jazz tunes, it passes
        through other key centers temporarily, but never for more than a few
        measures. Normally you wouldn't change key signatures unless an entire
        section permanently changed keys. So in writing it out, every note that's
        not part of the G major scale would be shown as an accidental.

        Mark
        http://www.markabout.com/tools/ (Acoustic Music Webtools)
        msk@...
        msk@...