Re: [gypsyjazzguitar] Re: pickup solution

  • Matt Levonian
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 30, 2001
      I can't believe how generous the people in this group are. To go to that
      much trouble (recording in the bathroom!) is amazing and speaks well for the
      players here.

      Matt

      PS I bet the non-digital shower-stall reverb is great!

      Sam Rappa wrote:

      > Ian - per your request I have uploaded an mp3 file of the sound of the
      > mag pickup on the Dupont. It's a chorus of the song 'Laura'. I used a
      > 50 watt keyboard amp with tone controls set normal. Did it in my
      > bathroom with a Minidisk recorder with the mic about 15" in front of
      > the speaker. I think it's a good sound. - Sam
      >
      > From: GYPSYJAZZGUITAR
      > To: Members

    • Sam Rappa
      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2001
        I just want you to know that when I played in the bathroom, I did it
        standing up. -Sam
      • Richard Jones
        Message 3 of 13 , May 1, 2001
          Sam -

          I sure hope you weren't multi-tasking. %-)

          - Rick

          On Tue, 01 May 2001, Sam Rappa wrote:

          > I just want you to know that when I played in the bathroom, I did it
          > standing up. -Sam

          PeoplePC: It's for people. And it's just smart.
          http://www.peoplepc.com
        • Sam Rappa
          Message 4 of 13 , May 1, 2001
            Rick, I was multi-tasking, but not the ones you're thinking about.
            Since my prostate operation I do that sitting down. - Sam
          • ian.jackson.nuages@ntlworld.com
            Message 5 of 13 , May 1, 2001
              Sam
              > Ian - per your request I have uploaded an mp3 file of the sound of the
              > mag pickup on the Dupont. It's a chorus of the song 'Laura'. I used a
              > 50 watt keyboard amp with tone controls set normal. Did it in my
              > bathroom with a Minidisk recorder with the mic about 15" in front of
              > the speaker. I think it's a good sound. - Sam

              Many thanks for posting the Mp3. you were right the a sound is pretty good.
              I've a couple of old pickups here that I think I'll have a go at playing
              around with. (by the way nice playing). If I get a decent sound I'll let you
              know. I asked about blending with a microphone as a couple of years ago I
              tried a Vanden guitar (similar to a Mac/Selmer style) which Mike Vanden
              http://www.vanden.co.uk/ had fitted with a humbucker/mic system he had
              developed which he called the Mimesis pickup. This I believe is the same
              system that is now made under license by Fishman known as the Blender
              pickup.
              Using 2 AER amps one for the pickup and for the Mic the sound on this system
              was excellent. For some time now I've thought that using a dual system was
              probably the best way to achieve a good quality sound.
              Best of luck with any future experiments and thanks again for uploading the
              file of you playing.
              Ian
              www.nuages.co.uk
            • Archtop Eddy (Ed Parsons)
              Message 6 of 13 , May 1, 2001
                Sam, I know you were demonstrating the pickup but I just want to say,
                nice rendition of Laura. A very beautiful song.

                A.E.

                --- In gypsyjazzguitar@y..., Sam Rappa <svrappa@r...> wrote:
                > I just want you to know that when I played in the bathroom, I did it
                > standing up. -Sam
              • Richard Jones
                Message 7 of 13 , May 1, 2001
                  Hahahaha!! Thanks for having a sense of humor, Sam! ;)

                  Truthfully ... with just me and the wife in the house, it's painfully
                  obvious who makes the mess ... so I've learned to do it sitting down, too.
                  Just don't tell the other guys!

                  - Rick

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 2, 2001
                    Thanks for the compliment on the playing. I always feel a little stiff
                    when I know a recorder is on. It's my intention to install the EMG
                    stereo endpin jack so I can mix the mag with the McIntyre. On the job I
                    play at I use a small Roland keyboard amp which has a builtin mixer for
                    4 inputs so I'll probably blend the 2 pickups that way. Yesterday I
                    bought a Peavey Delta Blues all tube amp with a 15" speaker to use for
                    guitar when I play with large groups or in a large hall. I really like
                    the sound of it and am looking forward to using it on a job. - Regards,
                    Sam Rappa
                  • Sam Rappa
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 2, 2001
                      Thanks for the compliment, Eddy. My repertoire is mostly the old
                      standards, but I'm gradually expanding my Django list of tunes. - Sam