Re: GJG News Who's on guitar at The Academy Awards

  • Fred Barnett
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
      Aloha, And.....Somebody please capture the cartoon image of Django from
      the 1st scene -title song .
      Fred

      On Sunday, February 29, 2004, at 06:36 PM, thelittlebassist wrote:

      > Benoit Charest composed the music for "The Triplets of Belleville"
      > but do we know the two guitar players on stage at The Oscars tonight
      > that were playing the theme.
      >
      > I'm gonna checl out the cartoon for the swingin' sountrack.
      >
      > Abbey
      >

      > Email>webmaster@...
      > Website>www.gypsyjazzguitar.com

      <image.tiff>

      <image.tiff>

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > �
      > �

    • jfjewell2001
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
        --- In gypsyjazzguitar@yahoogroups.com, "thelittlebassist"
        <abbey@c...> wrote:
        > Benoit Charest composed the music for "The Triplets of Belleville"
        > but do we know the two guitar players on stage at The Oscars
        tonight
        > that were playing the theme.
        >
        > I'm gonna checl out the cartoon for the swingin' sountrack.
        >
        > Abbey

        That was Ben Charest on the left and L.A. studio heavyweight, John
        Goux on the right. John also played mandolin behind Annie Lennox
        and played in the orchestra all night. Both guitars, a Dunn and a
        Dell'Arte, were borrowed.
      • peter_anick
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
          By the way, in the musicians' credits at the end of "Triplets of
          Belleville", I caught the name of Thomas Dutronc (who played rhythm
          for Bireli's last U.S. Gypsy Project tour.) Turns out that Thomas
          played the "Django" segment in the movie.

          - peter
        • shane samuelson
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
            I'msorry but from what I saw at the oscars last nite was not what I excpected I thought from all the posts I was reading about the movie it was going to be a real treat to hear these guys solo in the vein of django,
            But I will see the movie and give it a full look over, Pesonally I could play circles around the parts that I saw on the oscars

            <abbey@c...> wrote:
            > Benoit Charest composed the music for "The Triplets of Belleville"
            > but do we know the two guitar players on stage at The Oscars
            tonight
            > that were playing the theme.
            >
            > I'm gonna checl out the cartoon for the swingin' sountrack.
            >
            > Abbey

            That was Ben Charest on the left and L.A. studio heavyweight, John
            Goux on the right. John also played mandolin behind Annie Lennox
            and played in the orchestra all night. Both guitars, a Dunn and a
            Dell'Arte, were borrowed.

            Email>webmaster@...
            Website>www.gypsyjazzguitar.com

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
            Click Here

          • Jon Thor Williams
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2004
              yeah, those two guys, sitting up there with "Django guitars" did
              not "represent" at all... if their intention was to sit in the band
              and sound "French", then they did, but if their intention was to
              sound "gypsy", they didn't nail it at all...

              --- In gypsyjazzguitar@yahoogroups.com, shane samuelson
              <nwfoundlander@y...> wrote:
              > I'msorry but from what I saw at the oscars last nite was not what I
              excpected I thought from all the posts I was reading about the movie
              it was going to be a real treat to hear these guys solo in the vein
              of django,
              > But I will see the movie and give it a full look over, Pesonally I
              could play circles around the parts that I saw on the oscars

              > jfjewell2001 <jfjewell@e...> wrote:
              > --- In gypsyjazzguitar@yahoogroups.com, "thelittlebassist"
              > <abbey@c...> wrote:
              > > Benoit Charest composed the music for "The Triplets of
              Belleville"
              > > but do we know the two guitar players on stage at The Oscars
              > tonight
              > > that were playing the theme.
              > >
              > > I'm gonna checl out the cartoon for the swingin' sountrack.
              > >
              > > Abbey
              >
              > That was Ben Charest on the left and L.A. studio heavyweight, John
              > Goux on the right. John also played mandolin behind Annie Lennox
              > and played in the orchestra all night. Both guitars, a Dunn and a
              > Dell'Arte, were borrowed.
              >

              > Email>webmaster@g...
              > Website>www.gypsyjazzguitar.com
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT