New monster

  • IvanS50920@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 2, 2005
      New monster:

      DAY HAG

      Climate/Terrain: Any
      Frequency: Very rare/rare
      Activity cycle: See below
      Diet: Omnivore/see below
      Intelligence: Average to Genius (11-18)
      Treasure: See below
      Alignment: Chaotic evil
      No. Appearing: solitary/ 2 thru 8(conflagration)
      Armour class: 6 (see below)
      Movement: 12 (see below)
      Hit Dice: 6+6
      THACO: 10
      No. of Attacks: 2
      Damage Attack: see below
      Special Attacks: ability drain, charm
      Special Defenses: become astral, illusion
      Magic Resistance: 30%
      Size: M
      Morale: High (see below)
      XP Value: 3000

      The Day hag is a form of night hag which has evolved to live in the day as well. They are often solitary except for their thralls which may number from 1-10. Occasionally day hags gather together to trade secrets and larvae, and occasionally travel in small packs disguised as holy women, damsels in distress, or other such characters which would elicit sympathy. They often refer to each other as "sister." They are often found basking in the sun as this enhances their beauty one charisma point per hour from 16 to a maximum of 18. This effect lasts up to four hours after basking. Day hags appear as quite lovely creatures and charm people often with their mere appearance. But upon a successful wisdom check at minus 2 (no minus if female), a character can discern that there is something unsettling about the hag if of good or neutral alignment. If failed, they must roll and intelligence check to see if they are charmed by her. If of evil alignment, one must only roll an intelligence check at minus 2 (even if female) to discern whether or not one is charmed by her. Once charmed, one may roll a intelligence check once per week to break the spell or after any overt act by the hag that is antithetical to the charmed creatures alignment. The charm will resume effect after one day if a subsequent intellgence roll is missed. For every consecutive month charmed, the victim must roll a wisdom check at minus 2 for good creatures, and minus 4 for neutral creatures or their alignment becomes shifted one degree towards
      chaotic evil. Day hags use their beauty to gain the confidence of males (and rarely females)in order to drain them of their spirit. Upon being charmed by the hag, the victim becomes in some part, part of the hag. The hag can then drain them of 1 constitution point per day and add them to her own hit dice at a 1 to 1 ratio, to a maximum of 10 hit die. These extra hit die last for one week each, slowly fading as she is away from her victims. The hag can also cause wisdom to be drained from the victim at 1 point per week, adding this wisdom to their own to
      a maximum of 18. The hags can choose to drain people totally of both wisdom and constitution, if charmed by her, but this often reveals their true nature, it is done rarely, and no further bonuses is gained from this than the before stated maximum bonus that appears appears above. The hags are quite cunning and will not drain people more than would appear natural from a gradual onset of a natural illness. If a
      creature is drained of contitution totally, they contract illnesses and die: A larvae remaining in their body which the hag then extracts and consumes, removing 6 months of aging upon herself, or barters away to other nefarious powers. While staying with a group of people, the hag eats human food, but only in very small portions, using the excuse that they are watching their figures or that they do not want to be greedy. Day hags do not sleep, instead at night doing helpful chores or viewing into the astral plane to see what is going on as they are often looking for their next place to visit. Day hags often have sizeable hordes of treasure secreted away (type z). They often gain treasure slowly, however, taking but a small token from most victims as a trophy, such as an amulet or a piece of gold, unless the victim was especially proud of their wealth in which case the hag will take much or all of it. They are able to beome astral (instead of ethereal as the night hag) at will but it takes one turn to complete the transformation and travel to the places where their treasure is kept. If somehow forced to reveal where their horde is kept, they will hold a very strong grudge against the person told and their compatriots as their treasure is their trophies of conquest and they love to gloat over it. The day hags know of secret color pools on the astral plane which lead to the positive material plane. They bask at these pools to regain any damage lost in battle at 1hp per turn. They often retreat to these pools to heal and return to wreak vengeance upon their aggressors, usually while their enemies sleep, slittling their throats. Day hags have no amulets as the night hags do, and have traded their bonuses from such for physical attractiveness and the ability to appear in daylight. They can be hit with normal weapons and thus avoids combat at almost all costs unless their victim is very weak and they are in little danger of being discovered. They carry a +2 dagger that does 1-6hp damage due to their ability to cut one skillfully. They can also bite or scratch for 1 hp damage as a second attack. Day hags are able to cast spells as a fourth level illusionist. They often use these spells in battle to divert attackers so that they can make their escape or gain a bonus to their attack. It is said that day hags have at some time in the past stolen a secret from the eryines in order to attain the appearance of beauty. Day hags are known to occasionally associate with dopplegangers and with berbalangs, combining their talents with theirs to gain mutual benefit. Day hags consider themselves intellectuals and look dow upon their night hag relatives. Day hags are known for their short temper and the ability to pretend love for someone with odd momens of coldness in between moments of charm. Day hags cannot be charmed as their very nature is to care little for anyone but themselves. One who breaks the charm of a Day hag will gain one hundred experience points for each week charmed once the spell is broken.
    • AdmrlLocke@aol.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 2, 2005

        In a message dated 2/2/05 2:00:24 PM, IvanS50920@... writes:

        New monster:

        DAY HAG

        Eh, she's not so new. I've know one that's been spreading her evil for a quite a while now. Her name is Hillary. :-D
      • Gary Gygax
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 2, 2005
          Greetings Seekers!

          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 2, 2005

            In a message dated 2/2/05 4:11:39 PM, ggygax@... writes:

            Greetings Seekers!

            Eh, she's not so new. I've know one that's been spreading her evil for a quite a while now. Her name is Hillary. :-D

            Hey Gary, did you mean to make a comment?
          • Gary Gygax
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 2, 2005
              Greetings Seekers!

              Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 3:14 PM

              Hey Gary, did you mean to make a comment?

              Yes, but it got lost:( I said don't forget the Barbed Boxer, another hideous form of hag.

              Cheers,
              Gary
            • AdmrlLocke@aol.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 2, 2005

                In a message dated 2/2/05 4:37:58 PM, ggygax@... writes:

                Greetings Seekers!

                Hey Gary, did you mean to make a comment?

                Yes, but it got lost:( I said don't forget the Barbed Boxer, another hideous form of hag.

                Cheers,

                Gary

                Ew yuck!  I HAD managed to forget about THAT harridan!

                David
              • IvanS50920@aol.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 2, 2005
                  In a message dated 2/2/2005 3:58:12 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Gary Gygax" <ggygax@...> writes:

                  >Greetings Seekers!

                  She may not be new to the world but it is new that she's been codified!:)
                • AdmrlLocke@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 2, 2005

                    In a message dated 2/2/05 5:16:28 PM, IvanS50920@... writes:

                    In a message dated 2/2/2005 3:58:12 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Gary Gygax" <ggygax@...> writes:

                    >Greetings Seekers!

                    Heh. I can't argue with that.  Well done!
                  • IvanS50920@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 2, 2005
                      In a message dated 2/2/2005 5:14:37 P.M. Central Standard Time, AdmrlLocke@... writes:
                      Heh. I can't argue with that.  Well done!
                      Thanks Admiral. :)
                    • AdmrlLocke@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 2, 2005

                        In a message dated 2/2/05 6:28:26 PM, IvanS50920@... writes:

                        In a message dated 2/2/2005 5:14:37 P.M. Central Standard Time, AdmrlLocke@... writes:

                        Heh. I can't argue with that.  Well done!

                        Thanks Admiral. :)

                        :-D
                      • AdmrlLocke@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 2, 2005

                          In a message dated 2/2/05 6:28:26 PM, IvanS50920@... writes:

                          In a message dated 2/2/2005 5:14:37 P.M. Central Standard Time, AdmrlLocke@... writes:

                          Heh. I can't argue with that.  Well done!

                          Thanks Admiral. :)

                          Seriously though, you've created a cool monster!  I should torment my part with a covey of them! :-)
                        • IvanS50920@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 2, 2005
                            In a message dated 2/2/2005 6:34:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, AdmrlLocke@... writes:

                            >In a message dated 2/2/05 6:28:26 PM, IvanS50920@... writes:
                            >

                            >> In a message dated 2/2/2005 5:14:37 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                            >> AdmrlLocke@... writes:
                            >>
                            >> Heh. I can't argue with that. Well done!
                            >>

                            >> Thanks Admiral. :)
                            >>

                            >Seriously though, you've created a cool monster! I should torment my part
                            >with a covey of them! :-)

                            If you do, Admiral, please share, I'd love to see how it works out! :) (my first new monster) :)

                          • Tom Harrison
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 2, 2005
                              Shouldn't this creature be called a dirty hag then?

                              Tom

                            • AdmrlLocke@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 2, 2005
                                Well it seems a bit redundant, but sure, if you like.  :-)

                                David

                              • IvanS50920@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 2, 2005
                                  In a message dated 2/2/2005 6:30:25 P.M. Central Standard Time, sponge2@... writes:
                                  Shouldn't this creature be called a dirty hag then?

                                  Tom

                                  They are called "Day" hags to refer to their ancestry, and to contrast them from the related "night" hags.  This is also to refer to their use of the day and the positive energy plane to enhance their powers and heal.  They are not dirty except perhaps in a spiritual sense.  Dirty hag would make little sense in light of the rest of the game to me. And like Admirallocke said, a bit redundant.  If you wish to refer to them as dirty hags in your game world, then I guess it could be some sort of nickname or something.
                                • AdmrlLocke@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 2, 2005

                                    In a message dated 2/2/05 7:24:02 PM, IvanS50920@... writes:

                                    In a message dated 2/2/2005 6:34:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, AdmrlLocke@... writes:

                                    >In a message dated 2/2/05 6:28:26 PM, IvanS50920@... writes:
                                    >

                                    >> In a message dated 2/2/2005 5:14:37 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                                    >> AdmrlLocke@... writes:
                                    >>
                                    >>  Heh. I can't argue with that.  Well done!
                                    >>

                                    >> Thanks Admiral. :)
                                    >>

                                    >Seriously though, you've created a cool monster!   I should torment my part
                                    >with a covey of them! :-)

                                    If you do, Admiral, please share, I'd love to see how it works out! :) (my first new monster) :)

                                    Thanks.  I'm have to convert it to 3.5 before I can use it.  I'd definitely need a covey if they're only 6+6 HD, although I could advance them under the 3.5 creature advancement rules.  The party ranges from 13th to 16th.
                                  • IvanS50920@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 2, 2005
                                      In a message dated 2/2/2005 8:25:39 P.M. Central Standard Time, AdmrlLocke@... writes:
                                      Thanks.  I'm have to convert it to 3.5 before I can use it.  I'd definitely need a covey if they're only 6+6 HD, although I could advance them under the 3.5 creature advancement rules.  The party ranges from 13th to 16th.
                                      But remember, they can be up to 10+6 HD if they have recently drained somebody.  You could throw in some dopplegangers of powerful people, such as a local magistrate and the powers gained thereby, or have them have ten powerful thralls, even each.  They are meant to be played subtly, mostly preying on townsfolk and the like: (though I guess a local lord would be a challenge to them and thus of greater glory to gloat over.)  I would not let the characters know they have been charmed or might have been charmed, just that they are pretty or feel a strong affection for them, until they were reluctant to kill them due to their love for them or perhaps their uncertainty as to their true intentions were built up and then let them see what they could do to figure out the situation.   Unless your party goes around killing helpless pretty maidens on a regular basis. :)
                                    • AdmrlLocke@aol.com

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Feb 10, 2006
                                          Left foot pudding

                                          frequency: very rare (common)
                                          no appearing: 1-100
                                          armor class: 5
                                          move: slow 1"
                                          hit dice: 2
                                          % in lair:  none
                                          treasure type: nil
                                          Damage attack: nil
                                          special attacks: stinking cloud
                                          special defenses: immune to fire, cold, lightning, weapons
                                          magic resistance: standard
                                          intelligence: none
                                          alignment: neutral
                                          size: small
                                          psionic ability: see below
                                          xp value: 100

                                          The left foot pudding lives in a variety of terrains but mostly in forested areas.  They are immune to fire, cold, electricity, acid and pummeling, cutting or piercing.  THe ability to resist so much potential damage makes them desireable ingredients in magic spells that enhance armor class and defenses.  THe left foot pudding is brown, about a sqare foot of area, rounded, which when stepped on by a left foot, attatches itself by wrapping aroung the appendage.  No one knows why a right foot is never chosen.  Once wrapped around the foot nothing will remove it until it decides to come off.  THis either happens by itself, 10% per day it will simply drop off, or when the wearer comes into the vivinity of strawberries which the pudding can detect from 20 feet away.  If it detects strawberries, it will release a stinking cloud spell, so noone else can eat the strawberries, drop off, and move towards the strawberries to eat them. after eating the strawberries, it will spasm and explode in a cloud of 40 to 100 new left foot puddings, too small to attach themselves to a ride for 6 months.  During this time they will eat dirt and stay in one place.  One can only have one left foot pudding on ones foot at a time.  The wearer of a left foot pudding develops a ravenous desire for strawberries as some sort of primitive psionic passes onto the wearer when being ridden by a pudding.  It is impossible to move silently while wearing a left foot pudding as it makes a rather loud squishing noise when one moves.  The foot attatched to will be immune to fire cold electricity stabbing and cutting, taking 1/2 damage from pummeling, until the pudding decides to leave.