Re: Clearing waterlogging using Vertical drains - Modeling

  • Drisya M.tech agri
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 14, 2013
      May i know what exactly you want to find out?Is it howmuch quantity of water you want to remove it or you want to know how to simulate the domain of interest??

      --- In gwmodel@yahoogroups.com, "nrm_72" wrote:

      > Dear all
      >
      > we are trying to clearing the waterlogging in the agricultural land. Waterlogging is mainly occurring due to thick clay formation with poor hydraulic conductivity. so we have installed vertical drains (1m dia and 5m length)to bypass the clay material in the field. Using flood water level and groundwater level data, I am doing modeling for this scenario using HYDRUS 2D/3D.
      >
      > In the field condition, groundwater starts decreasing even during waterlogging period(FWL = 20 cm, groundwater level = 50cm bgl). Groundwater level fluctuation in the site is between 0 and 5m bgl.
      >
      > Using HYDRUS, it is not possible to simulate this condition (as per my knowledge).
      >
      > I am expecting great ideas from our group.
      >
      > Any other modeling software suitable for this condition?
      >
      > Your help is highly appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks in advance
      >
      > Best regards
      > Rajmohan

    • kaviyarasan
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 14, 2013
        Dear Rajmohan,

        I have read your query on GW model users forum,
        Are you need to model the vertical drains on your study area?
        If so, You can use Visual MODFLOW or any other MODFLOW packages available
        in the online.
        In MODFLOW you can assign the vertical drains by using two different
        boundary conditions. One is Drain Boundary condition another one is
        Recharge boundary condition.
        If you are using Drainage boundary means you have provide to the model
        about your drainage properties.
        Or
        If you choose recharge boundary conditions means you have assign some
        injection wells on your study area and give the recharge rate on those
        region. So that, you can get better results.
        I think MODFLOW is better for your study...
        Thanking you

        Yours,

        KAVIYARASAN.R. M.Sc.,
        SRF,