What do you use for 3D visualisation?

  • Simon
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 5, 2012
      Hi all

      Just wondering if anyone has recommendations for what to use for 3D visualisation of MODFLOW results produced using Groundwater Vistas? (Groundwater Vistas is very inexpensive and easy to use, but only has very basic 2D visualisation tools.)

      Some of the options I have found are:

      GW3D - Vistas' own 3D package
      GMS - rival product and quite expensive
      3D Master (GE) - looks very nice and specifically for use with MODFLOW
      Voxler - not specifically for MODFLOW, not sure if it would work

      I am wanting to look at model layers in 3D, also particle traces, velocity vectors...

      Any recommendations?
    • Eduardo Sousa
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 5, 2012
        Hi Simon

        If you do some programming in C++ or python, you should consider Paraview (www.paraview.org).
        Paraview is a very powerful software, is free and can handle huge amounts of data (i.e big models) very rapidly. The downside is that you have to do some data conversion of the modflow files to one of the tones of formats Paraview can handle.

        I'm developing some scripts to load Feflow files/results into Paraview and eventually will do that for Modflow too, but it will take some time.

        Otherwise, I think ModelMuse and ModelViewer from USGS allow for 3d visualization, and they are also free.

        Regards,

        Eduard

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 6, 2012
          Vistas writes surfer files that would port easily in voxler

          Pete

          On Nov 5, 2012, at 7:04 PM, "Simon" <simon.woodward@...> wrote:

          > Hi all
          >
          > Just wondering if anyone has recommendations for what to use for 3D visualisation of MODFLOW results produced using Groundwater Vistas? (Groundwater Vistas is very inexpensive and easy to use, but only has very basic 2D visualisation tools.)
          >
          > Some of the options I have found are:
          >
          > GW3D - Vistas' own 3D package
          > GMS - rival product and quite expensive
          > 3D Master (GE) - looks very nice and specifically for use with MODFLOW
          > Voxler - not specifically for MODFLOW, not sure if it would work
          >
          > I am wanting to look at model layers in 3D, also particle traces, velocity vectors...
          >
          > Any recommendations?

        • Lester Zhang
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 6, 2012
            If you are still interested in 3D Master (GE). You may want to
            check Seer3D. It was developed by the same developor of 3D Master (GE), but
            with a lot of new added features.
            http://www.simcore.com/seer3d2

            Jinhui

            On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Pete Sinton <psinton@...> wrote:

            > Vistas writes surfer files that would port easily in voxler
            >
            > Pete
            >
            > On Nov 5, 2012, at 7:04 PM, "Simon" <simon.woodward@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hi all
            > >
            > > Just wondering if anyone has recommendations for what to use for 3D
            > visualisation of MODFLOW results produced using Groundwater Vistas?
            > (Groundwater Vistas is very inexpensive and easy to use, but only has very
            > basic 2D visualisation tools.)
            > >
            > > Some of the options I have found are:
            > >
            > > GW3D - Vistas' own 3D package
            > > GMS - rival product and quite expensive
            > > 3D Master (GE) - looks very nice and specifically for use with MODFLOW
            > > Voxler - not specifically for MODFLOW, not sure if it would work
            > >
            > > I am wanting to look at model layers in 3D, also particle traces,
            > velocity vectors...
            > >
            > > Any recommendations?
          • Laura Roll
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 6, 2012
              Similar to Eduard’s comment –
              I recently attended Reed Maxwell’s (Colorado School of Mines) ParFlow course and was introduced to VisIT (https://wci.llnl.gov/codes/visit/), also free, very powerful, and can handle huge amounts of data. I was very impressed with the software, and will probably try to write some scripts to port with Modflow.

              Best,
              Laura
              LAURA ROLL
              HYDROGEOLOGIST
              DUDEK
              ENGINEERING + ENVIRONMENTAL
              605 THIRD STREET
              ENCINITAS, CALIFORNIA 92024
              T 760.479.4106 F 760.942.5206 C 760.685.0751
              WWW.DUDEK.COM<http://WWW.DUDEK.COM>

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 7, 2012
                Simon,

                Visual MODFLOW Flex is another commercial software package with 3D capabilities; a 30-day trial version is available on our website:

                http://www.swstechnology.com/groundwater-modeling-software/visual-modflow-flex

                You can view model layers in 3D, and compare this to GIS data, geological contacts from borehole logs, and also particle and pathlines.
                You can also generate animations (.AVI files) from the 3D views, for use in presentations.

                Regards,
                Wayne
                Wayne Hesch
                Senior Product Champion - Simulations