How do I import transient head series as head boundary conditions in GW Vistas

  • Simon
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 18, 2011
      Hi. I posted this on the groundwater-vistas forum but haven't had much response, so I'm reposting here.

      I am wanting to set up a transient flow model in GWVistas/MODFLOW where specified head boundary conditions are set using transient water level data from a series of wells around the boundary of my site. How do I import this kind of boundary condition data into GW Vistas?

      (I am new to MODFLOW modelling (previous experience in GMS-Femwater) and just trying to understand the process at the moment.)

      Thanks

      Simon
    • Richard B. Winston
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 19, 2011
        Well, the heads would need to specify head boundaries using either the
        CHD or FHB packages but I'm not sure how you do that with GW Vistas.

        Simon wrote:

        > Hi. I posted this on the groundwater-vistas forum but haven't had much
        > response, so I'm reposting here.
        >
        > I am wanting to set up a transient flow model in GWVistas/MODFLOW
        > where specified head boundary conditions are set using transient water
        > level data from a series of wells around the boundary of my site. How
        > do I import this kind of boundary condition data into GW Vistas?
        >
        > (I am new to MODFLOW modelling (previous experience in GMS-Femwater)
        > and just trying to understand the process at the moment.)
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Simon
        >
        > __._
      • James Rumbaugh
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 19, 2011
          Hi Simon,

          There are many ways of doing this but it depends
          on how many stress periods you want to set up and
          how variable the heads are in space. Perhaps you
          could send me some additional details. Also,
          you'll get faster tech support if you send emails
          to support@...

          Thanks

          Jim

          Jim Rumbaugh Software,
          Environmental Simulations, Inc. Information, &
          300 Mountain Top Rd. Services for Groundwater
          Reinholds, PA 17569 Modeling
          (610) 670-3400
          (610) 670-9239 fax
          jrumbaugh@...
          <http://www.groundwatermodels.com>http://www.groundwatermodels.com

          Groundwater Vistas 6 and AquiferWin32/Winflow 4 are here!

        • qod6@yahoo.co.uk
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 19, 2011
            Groundwater Vistas has a function that converts the boundary types in cells under BCs menu (Modify- Change BC type). check this function whether it would do what you are after.

            Milo

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 21, 2011
              Thanks for the tip Jim.
              There are almost 1400 stress periods (days over 4 years) and data from 16 water levels around the site.
              Will use support@ as suggested.
              Simon