Correlation between air temp, precipitation and groundwater level fluctuations

  • C. P. Kumar
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2011
      Information about precipitation and air tempearture influence on groundwater level.
      Monday, April 4, 2011 3:08 PM
      From: "Valdis Vircavs" <valdis.vircavs@...>
      To: cpkumar@...

      Hello, C.P.Kumar!

      My name is Valdis Vircavs and I am from Latvia, Latvia University of Agriculture.

      Our research is based on groundwater level fluctuations. At the moment we have a problem, how to statistically prove the groundwater level dependence on precipitation and air temperature. We cannot find the feasible correlation between air temperature, precipitation and groundwater level fluctuations.

      Maybe you can help us to find the best solution to solve the problem.

      With best wishes from Latvia!!!

      Valdis Vircavs, M. sc. geol
      Latvia University of Agriculture
      Faculty of Rural Engineering
      Department of Environmental Engineering and Water Management
      19 Akademijas Street, Jelgava, LV-3001, Latvia
      Phone: (+371) 63029908; (+371) 29418944
      E-mail: valdis.vircavs@...
    • amir niazi
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2011
        Actually if you want to predict your groundwater fluctuation you have to
        consider groundwater recharge and discharge as Important factors.
        precipitation is an important phenomenon for recharge, but your discharge is
        not mentioned that can have a very considerable effect on your
        groundwater level.
      • Dan
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 7, 2011
          Valdis,

          I have been monitoring a shallow aquifer for the past year, see the March 19, 2011 entry on my newsletter page at oaiwater.com. Depending on how much different the air temp from the groundwater temp and the amount of precip that falls, my data shows a strong influence in groundwater recharge with precip over .5 inches. If you look closely at the 2/3/2011 precip event, you will see a slight drop in groundwater temp due to the precip event. At this location, there is nine feet of clay overlying a sand aquifer.

          I'll be looking at this more in months to come. I use a data logger that records temp and level set at one hour readings.
          Hope this helps you...dod

          > Information about precipitation and air tempearture influence on groundwater level.
          > Monday, April 4, 2011 3:08 PM
          > From: "Valdis Vircavs" <valdis.vircavs@...>
          > To: cpkumar@...
          >
          > Hello, C.P.Kumar!
          >
          > My name is Valdis Vircavs and I am from Latvia, Latvia University of Agriculture.
          >
          > Our research is based on groundwater level fluctuations. At the moment we have a problem, how to statistically prove the groundwater level dependence on precipitation and air temperature. We cannot find the feasible correlation between air temperature, precipitation and groundwater level fluctuations.
          >
          > Maybe you can help us to find the best solution to solve the problem.
          >
          > With best wishes from Latvia!!!
          >
          > Valdis Vircavs, M. sc. geol
          > Latvia University of Agriculture
          > Faculty of Rural Engineering
          > Department of Environmental Engineering and Water Management
          > 19 Akademijas Street, Jelgava, LV-3001, Latvia
          > Phone: (+371) 63029908; (+371) 29418944
          > E-mail: valdis.vircavs@...

        • JPF CONSULTORS
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 8, 2011
            Vladis, also good info in the following link:

            http://water.usgs.gov/ogw/gwrp/methods/wtf/

            Best wishes!

            Jordi Pujadas Ferrer
            JPF CONSULTORS
            C/General Castellvi nÂș 3
            43400 MONTBLANC
            SPAIN

            tel . +34 977 861 300
            jpfcon@...

            --- In gwmodel@yahoogroups.com <mailto:gwmodel%40yahoogroups.com> , "C. P.

          • limaye@vsnl.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 8, 2011
              DEAR ALL:

              1.The air temp may not be the same as rainwater temp.
              2. The first interaction of rainwater is with topsoil temperature.
              3. The temp below about 1 to 1.5 meter depth from ground surface, remains almost constant throughout the year.
              4. By the time the recharge front passes through unsaturated zone to reach the water table, its temperature would be in equilibrium with the surroundings.
              5. Locally small changes in temperature are possible if there are any 'short circuit' routes for recharge front from rainwater to reach the water table.

              Dr. S D Limaye.
              Director, Ground Water Inst, Pune, India