Aquifer Modeling under transient conditions

  • FAKIR Younes
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2010
      Dear colleagues,

      I am working on an unconfined aquifer which is heavily exploited. The hydrogeologic data and the piezometric monitoring are available just for the last ten years. The steady state conditions are unknown.

      Is it possible to simulate the groundwater flows based only on the transient behavior of the aquifer? In other words, how the boundary conditions and the permeability can be calibrated ?

      Best regards

      Y. Fakir
      GEOHYD
      UCAM University - Marrakech
    • Pete Sinton
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2010
        you can but you still need a reasonable starting point, and its common
        to start such models far in the past to reduce unrealistic influence of
        the initial condition on transient results.

        Its usually possible to assemble a reasonable steady-state condition
        knowing the general geology, hydrology, vegetation and climate, even in
        areas where there is no water level data.

        *Pete Sinton*

        www.aquageo.us