Rising groundwater levels in Jodhpur City, India

  • C. P. Kumar
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2009
      Dear Friend,

      Jodhpur, a major city of Western Rajasthan in India, has been experiencing the problem of rising groundwater levels in many parts of the city for last 11 years, after commissioning of the Rajiv Gandhi Link Canal (RGLC) which brings canal water to Jodhpur city and stores water in Kailana lake located west of Jodhpur city. Basements of buildings are being flooded in many parts of the city. There can be one or more of the following probable reasons for rising groundwater levels in Jodhpur city.

      (1) Seepage from Kailana lake due to presence of lineaments/joints in Rhyolite rock.

      (2) Presence of impervious sandstone basement at shallow depth below the porous Rhyolite aquifer in the city area.

      (3) Seepage from pipelines carrying lake water.

      (4) Leakage of used household water from unlined drain system.

      (5) Reduced groundwater extraction from existing borewells and handpumps after commissioning of RLGC.

      For the above case, what would be the appropriate methodology to find the actual reasons for rising groundwater levels in Jodhpur city and appropriate short-term and long-term management plans for maintaining the groundwater levels at a safe level.

      Regards
      Kumar
    • Dave Russell
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2009
        Kumar:

        I think that I'd start with a gross EM survey around the
        lake to define water levels and then around the perimeter of the
        areas which are subject to flooding. That should narrow the problem
        areas for exploration.

        If you have questions, contact me.

        The instrument I might use is an EM 31 made in Canada. It's available
        for rental. You might want to check withthe manufacturer to define
        the ability of the instrument to detect groundwater
        variability. It's predominantly a conductivity device, but portable.
        it's made by geonics. ltd in Toronto. http://www.geonics.com

        The other alternative is a geoprobe which leaves pipes down in the
        ground. it's quick and relatively cheap and you can conduct a
        subsurface probe of an area using 40-50 points per day with the
        geoprobe. It's truck mounted and very quick for your purposes.

        Let me know if you have questions.

        Dave Russell

        Dave Russell, PE
        Innovation Leader for economic environmental design

        Global Environmental Operations, Inc.
        The Quality Environmental Firm!
        4642 Warrior Trail, S.W.
        Lilburn, GA, 30047-4154
        Phone 770-923-4408, Fax 770-381-8004
        Cel Phone: 404-667-2427
        Website: http://www.globalenvironmental.biz
        also, a distributor of WEST Software,
        the best wastewater modeling software available.
        see www.mostforwater.com
      • Pradip Sengupta
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2009
          Dear Kumar

          I think a water table contour maps may give the answer. But you need the maps for several months. Please see whether the ground water level fluctuates with the fluctuation of water level of  Kailana lake.

          Regards
          P K Sengupta
          Jadavpur Centre for Study of Earth Science

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 2, 2009
            Dear Member,

            Water tables in this part of desert is quit deep. There is thick unsaturated zone. There is also evidence of perched aquifer where water table is shallow.

            Few years back there was unprecedented flood due to rain water logging near Kawas in Barmer district. During water logging the main unconfined aquifer water level was ~ 60-80 mbBGL. There was very poor communication between the logged water and water table. One reason was presence of hard concretion / gypsum bed ~ 10 - 20 m BGL.

            In present case, it appears to me that water logging in upper unsaturated zone is related to lack of laeral drainage in soil and presence of some impervious layer (hard concretion zone) which is preventing water to reach the water table.

            I am giving my view based on experience in other part of the desert. This problem is not limited to Jodhpur only, it is in many parts of Rajasthan along the canal route. It is not limited to groundwater, it is also related to drainage in unsaturated zone.

            Basic hydrological and geo-hydrological data is required to understand the problem. Some govt agencies should may start systematic study of the problem.

            with regards
            ashok

            Dr Ashok Kumar
            Groundwater Modeller
            131, PKT- 1, Sector - 9
            Dwarka, New Delhi- 110077, India

            Landline # +91-11-25087039
            http://www.geocities.com/ashok_bcst

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 2, 2009
              Dear Kumar,

              You should also review historical genesis of whole scenerio for last 30-40 years and try to establish with which additional water input the problem precipitated?

              Dr.S.M.SETH
              Chairman, P J FOUNDATION
              & Director General, PCE

              (Former Director, National Institute of Hydrology,Roorkee)
              Poornima College of Engineering(PCE)Campus,
              ISI-6,RIICO Institutional Area,SITAPURA,
              Goner Road, JAIPUR - 302022(Rajasthan),India
              (Ph)(O)0141 - 2770790,92

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 5, 2009
                Hi dear Kumar,
                For finding the reason this problem I have some questions.
                First of all:
                What is the level of water in city and lake, at the same time? (At the present time)
                What is the distance between city and lake?
                What is the formation of land in that region?

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 6, 2009
                  Dear Kumar

                  I am also working in an area with the same problems of rising water table. To understand the problem i utilized the computer models to generate results with different scenarios for different boundaries. But I think that it will require a lot of data and expertise in the modeling.

                  This problem can be solved if the infiltrating water is given a way in the direction of the hydrtaulic gradient towards the underlying lithologies (in a controlled environment) then it may provide a solution of this problem.

                  Regards

                  Anwar

[...]

                • elangovan krishnan
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 9, 2009
                    From

                    Dr K Elangovan
                    Assistant Professor
                    Department of Civil Engineering
                    PSG College of Technology
                    Coimbatore 641 004

                    Dear Sir/Madam

                    We are conducting a two day training program on Open Source GIS during August 29-30, 2009, for the benefit of Academicians, Researchers and Industry persons.

                    GIS is being used widely in the field of Civil Engineering, Natural Resources Management, Environment, Ecology, Ocean Engg., Geology, Geography, Forestry, Agriculture, Utilities management, Mining, Disaster mitigation etc.,

                    Since licensed GIS softwares  are costly, Open Source GIS will be used widely in near future. Practical Training will be given on Quantum GIS and participants will be given CD of Quantum GIS software, training manual. After the completion of this training, the participants could create their own GIS datasets for their applications.

                    I herewith attach the information brochure for your kind perusal.  Kindly contact me for further enquiries, if any.

                    Thanking you
                    Yours Sincerely
                    Dr K Elangovan

                    (Group settings do not allow any attachment, interested persons may directly contact Dr Elangovan for further information - Moderator)
                  • Neerajkumar D Sharma
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 15, 2009
                      Dear Sir

                      actually no attachment was found with your mail. I want to know about
                      GIS because i am doing my doctoral research work on Groudnwater recharging
                      and improvement of groundwater quality in tail reaches of tapi river so i
                      need GIS to recommed the Recharge sites. How it can be helpful with qgis.