Invitation to AGU Session H75: "Decision-Appropriate Modeling Throughout the Lifecycle of Restoration, and other, Environmental Projects"

  • Matt Tonkin
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2008
      We would like to make you aware of session H75 "Decision-Appropriate
      Modeling throughout the Lifecycle of Restoration, and other, Environmental
      Projects" at this years AGU Meeting in San Francisco, December 15-19
      (http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm08/index.php/Main/HomePage). The goal of this
      session is not to discuss the mathematical details of model applications and
      uncertainty analysis: rather, the goal is to discuss examples where models
      have been both successfully and unsuccessfully applied in support of
      environmental decision making, and attempt to elucidate the apparent reasons
      for their success or failure. The conveners consider the following as
      potential topics for discussion:

      * Simplistic versus complex models - Do the benefits of complex
      models justify their use?

      * Deterministic or stochastic modeling? - Their pro's and con's for
      decision making and for expert testimony.

      * Dealing with uncertainty - Rigorous evaluation vs. communication?

      * How can you tell a good model from a bad? - Is there no hope for
      the decision maker to tell the difference?

      * Modeling objectives - Who sets them, are they realistic, and who
      evaluates the results?

      * Collaboration with stakeholders - Best practices, new paradigms,
      and future directions.

      Abstracts for this session are due no later than September 10th, 2008:
      please review the instructions on the following page
      (http://submissions3.agu.org/submission/subm-ins.htm) regarding submittals.

      We hope that you will be able to join us for some lively debate in December

      Regards,

      Matt Tonkin, S.S. Papadopulos & Assoc., Inc.
      <blocked::mailto:matt@...> matt@...

      Dave Miller, Fluor Hanford, Richland, WA

      David_S_Miller@...

      Alex Spiliotopoulos, S.S. Papadopulos & Assoc, Inc.

      alexs@...